Knocking off Ruse (1 Viewer)

Alimoe_KG

HSC
omar273 said:
Maybe i'm being a little harsh about high. It's just that we have such great students at the top, but the bottom kind of lets us down.
But hey, I'm proud of having studied there. Even if I was offered a place to Ruse, I wouldn't take it, nor do I think that I would've received my UAI if I had gone to any other school.
But still, it will be a long time if ever when ruse will be knocked off.
My prediction: Baulko
I agree. In year 10, a lot of my friends went over to Ruse in the hopes of getting a higher UAI. They ended up with 96-98s, well below what they would have recieved should they have stayed in Fort. My marks and UAI may have been higher if i went, but i'd leave high school not really knowing where i belong or where i came from because i'd be seperated from fort but not really be in ruse long enough to be a cow. I have no regrets. I should get in the course and uni i want and i did that from the high school i always belonged in,

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Dreamerish*~ said:
What keeps them on top is not only their learning strategies, but also the many top students from other schools who transfer at the end of year 10.

I reckon once they're number one, it'll be hard for them to come down again. You might diss them for awhile, but if you're offered a chance to transfer there, you'd probably take it.

Yep that's the reality. Every year, there's always at least one Baulko kid who leaves- even more when it's year10. On the upside, when people leave it's only to go to Ruse (not counting those who go to comprehensive schools after).

insert-username said:
But good luck. James Ruse has been at the top since 2001-02, I think. They've been doing very well for themselves.
I know back when my sis went there some 14 years ago- it was the top.

omar273 said:
But still, it will be a long time if ever when ruse will be knocked off.
My prediction: Baulko
Everyone says that prediction- whether it'll ever come true or not is another matter. The fact is even though Baulko has a higher popularity in terms of application numbers, Ruse still takes the top percentile of people compared to Baulko.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Airness said:
I agree. In year 10, a lot of my friends went over to Ruse in the hopes of getting a higher UAI. They ended up with 96-98s, well below what they would have recieved should they have stayed in Fort. My marks and UAI may have been higher if i went, but i'd leave high school not really knowing where i belong or where i came from because i'd be seperated from fort but not really be in ruse long enough to be a cow. I have no regrets. I should get in the course and uni i want and i did that from the high school i always belonged in,
Am I guessing that it has something to do with rankings? I'd rather be the top bracket at Fort than the bottom at Ruse... however based on what I've seen at Baulko and what my sister said about her time at Ruse, when new students join in year11, they work a lot harder than the people who were there their whole life.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
seremify007 said:
Am I guessing that it has something to do with rankings? I'd rather be the top bracket at Fort than the bottom at Ruse... however based on what I've seen at Baulko and what my sister said about her time at Ruse, when new students join in year11, they work a lot harder than the people who were there their whole life.
But the way Fort is now these days, a middle bracket at ruse probably equals the top bracket at fort. However, while some people do work harder once they go into ruse, others go in with the mentality that now they're at the top school, they'll inevitably be fine.

A l

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
If you have nothing to do then please :D
If you insist then here is Sydney Boys High School in the 2004 HSC:
- Average UAI - 92.95
- 25 students scored a UAI of 99.00 or higher
- 406 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- 16 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- Percentage of Distinguished Achievers in main subjects (i.e. the percentage of the whole grade in the school who took that subject and scored band 6):
* English (Advanced) - 13%
* English Extension 1 - 20%
* English Extension 2 - 30%
* Mathematics - 62%
* Mathematics Extension 1 - 54%
* Mathematics Extension 2 - 38%
* Chemistry - 29%
* Physics - 34%
* Biology - 44%
* Business Studies - 26%
* Legal Studies - 24%
* Economics - 28%
* Ancient History - 75%
* Modern History - 19%
* Information Processes and Technology - 29%
* Software Design and Development - 25%
* PD/H/PE - 50%
* Geography - 50%
* Drama - 9%
* Visual Arts - 40%
* Engineering Studies - 36%
* Music 1 - 100%
* Music 2 - 67%
* Music Extension - 33%
* Chinese Continuers - 80%
* Chinese Extension - 83%
* Classical Greek Continuers - 100%
* Classical Greek Extension - 100%
* French Continuers - 75%
* German Continuers - 100%
* German Extension - 50%
* Latin Continuers - 75%
* Latin Extension - 100%

I'll post the latest (2003) Sydney Girls High School HSC results up soon....

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm, they're pretty all rounded that year, other than drama.

P

pLuvia

Damn average UAI of 92.95 :D

They do pretty well in the languages

By the way AI where do you get these figures? I want to take a look at my school :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Bookie said:
We do not. They come to us. The only people we 'steal' would be sports orientated. Yes we have a couple of techies, and a couple of sefton boys, but most of themare from randwick and waverly, so dont go meaking assumptions.
Our new boys, at the start of year 11, came from surrounding non-selective high schools or one of those schools that cater for year 7-10 kids. Dunno if anybody came from selective.
Also, Ruse only takes those who apply to go there in 11 and 12, not the best. The guys who left for Ruse in my grade werent that special really, and would have ranked around 90th - 100th at High (agreed fellow Highboys?), and not necessarily near the top.
Are you for real they can go there? I long thought that they take in the best of the best. (They have to do Agriculture, do they?)

A l

HSC
N/A
Here's Sydney Girls High School in 2003. Unfortunately those are the latest achievements I could get access to. So here it is anyway:
- One person scored a UAI of 100.00
- 38 students scored a UAI above 99.00
- 469 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- 26 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- Student in first place in French Continuers, French Extension Mathematics, Chinese Continuers, Japanese Continuers (achieved by Year 11 student plus other Year 12 students), Japanese Extension (achieved by Year 11 student) and Visual Arts
- Percentage of Distinguished Achievers in main subjects (i.e. the percentage of the whole grade in the school who took that subject and scored band 6 or band E4):
* English (Advanced) - 39%
* English Extension 1 - 30%
* English Extension 2 - 81%
* Mathematics - 34%
* Mathematics Extension 1 - 53%
* Mathematics Extension 2 - 47%
* Chemistry - 23%
* Physics - 33%
* Biology - 45%
* Legal Studies - 44%
* Economics - 30%
* Ancient History - 59%
* Modern History - 79%
* History Extension - 86%
* Information Processes and Technology - 16%
* Software Design and Development - 33%
* Drama - 33%
* Visual Arts - 55%
* Textiles and Design - 62%
* Music 2 - 25%
* Music Extension - 25%
* Chinese Continuers - 100%
* Chinese Extension - 67%
* Latin Continuers - 100%
* Latin Extension - 100%
* Japanese Continuers - 88%
* Japanese Extension - 100%

A l

HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
By the way AI where do you get these figures? I want to take a look at my school :D St Ives High, nothing great, just want to see statistics
These figures are obtained from the school's website. For your school, the only statistics I can gather are from the 2005 HSC where:
- 15% of students gained a UAI of 90.00 or more
- 2 students scored a UAI above 99.00
- 2 students scored 90% in 10 or more units
- 87 student results with marks of 90% or higher in a subject
- In English courses, a total of 10% achieved results in band 6 or band E4
- In Mathematics courses, a total of 19% achieved results in band 6 or band E4

thewhitecomet

HSC
A l said:
Would you like me to post similar statistics from Sydney Boys High School (2004) and Sydney Girls High School (2003)?
I was gonna say no, but too late. 2004 was an awful year for our school, 50% more many boys got 99+ the previous year. and 2005 is also did better than 04. If i remember rightly, 04 got in the late teens for rank... truly a dark year for sydney high.

Last edited:

xvelidras

HSC
When did we start being on top? i believe it was somewhere around '95, when we took Syd Grammar's Place

When will we be knocked off? Since not this year, not for many years to come. Ruse '05 is/was the dumbest year. Ruse '06 is brilliant, comparable to Ruse '03 and '04

Who will knock us off? Baulkhum Hills.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

2004 was the best for our school :( Damn only 15% this year got 90+ UAI, usually it's like 30 - 35%

Edit: By the way thanks for the statistics A l

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
Where do u get stats on school performance?
Your school should have published a newsletter on the HSC results of last year and sent them to you during these holidays. Not sure about other schools though.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Airness said:
But the way Fort is now these days, a middle bracket at ruse probably equals the top bracket at fort. However, while some people do work harder once they go into ruse, others go in with the mentality that now they're at the top school, they'll inevitably be fine.
LOL that's true- I once heard this girl's plan to go well in the HSC... "Try really hard and get into Ruse, and then sit back and let Ruse rank pull her upto 99+ uai". And the sad thing is, she actually was from my school- and ironically, she still is in my school.

Btw where do you guys get all those stats? For our school, they only publish a few results; http://www.baulkham-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/hsc_results/hsc_results.htm

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm surprised your school also published average UAIs in public information- for us, our principal tells us the median but it's not written anywhere public.

Monstar

HSC
Overall - 109 course marks of 90% or above

Not Bad for a public school. I think that grade had about 200-250 people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)