• Agnosticism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Humanism

• None

• Total voters

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
It is, mate. :D

No, your definition of religion is incorrect, because not all religions believe in a God.
Lol, I am very confused about what you're saying o_O.
If you accept that not all religions believe in a God that controls destiny, then Buddhism being a religion it's not a juxtaposition/contradiction O_O. It only is if you use the definition I used above.

But human interest is also in religion, in something supernatural, eternal, outside the square - you can't argue against this.

I'm not saying all humans are interested in it, but there are a lot of people who are.
I think you might have confused what I was saying here. The second bit about my post was about the definition of Humanism. Which is based on rational thought and rejects the supernatural and eternal. It emphasises a person's capacity to achieve self-realisation through reason.

Sadiah

HSC
I think you might have confused what I was saying here. The second bit about my post was about the definition of Humanism. Which is based on rational thought and rejects the supernatural and eternal. It emphasises a person's capacity to achieve self-realisation through reason.
That's Atheism.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Sorry, my bad, I was talking about secular humanism. Forgot about religious humanism. But either way, I think you still confused my post. I was just talking about the distinction between humanism and buddhism, nothing else.

HSC
i have stated several times that humanism does not always reject the notion of a god
which is why the poll

is

flawed

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
It's not that I don't know or don't believe.

It's that I don't care... As has been expressed, I'm borderlining on Nihilism.

Sadiah

HSC
Sorry, my bad, I was talking about secular humanism. Forgot about religious humanism. But either way, I think you still confused my post. I was just talking about the distinction between humanism and buddhism, nothing else.
Lol, nah. I think you confused yourself. :D

Anyway relax, nothing serious kk.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Secular humanism.

I'm an atheist, though. Religion is rubbish. But I don't care. It's existence or lack thereof is not what motivates me in the world.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Almost everyone is saying humanism is what they believe in, then why do the poll results suggest otherwise?
Because your poll implies you can only be one of those 3 things and that they're all conflicting, so people that are atheist and humanist would probably be more likely to choose atheist, same as agnostic and humanist. It wouldve been better to allow multiple options.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Almost everyone is saying humanism is what they believe in, then why do the poll results suggest otherwise?
Because humanism is not mutually exclusive to atheism or agnosticism you dolt.

Just like a Muslim may believe in both Islam and humanism, an atheist may believe in both the non-existence of gods as well as humanism.

On the other hand an atheist may not believe in god and may be a nihilist (doesn't believe in or care about anything, really), or a Muslim may believe in Islam and care little for his fellow man (which I guess is the case for the small subset of Muslims who are terrorists and whatnot).

fafaFOOO

HSC
For someone who wants to teach religion you don't seem to know much about the opposing/conflicting viewpoints.

Familiarize yourself with:
Richard Dawkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Christopher Hitchens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Harris_(author)

Here's somewhere you might want to start. These are audio versions of a chapter in Hitchens' book "God is Not Great", the chapter is called "The Koran is borrowed from both Jewish and Christian myths"
God Is Not Great, IX. part 1 of 3
God Is Not Great, IX. part 2 of 3
God Is Not Great, IX. part 3 of 3

All of these people have great videos all over youtube. Hitchens is a master debater and smashes pretty much everyone who fucks with him.

Last edited:

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
obviously people are voting and not discussing ok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)