• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
AusBluesMan said:
I gather that that the OP isn't against talented students studying further, just the fact that the school condones and encourages study of the HSC syllabuses ahead of the time that they themself have specified study commences, and threatened action against if not obeyed. The extreamly smart students will always want to excell and learn as much as they can, delving into the HSC texts ahead of time, and they are allowed to do that on their own part, but when the school encourages this it becomes unfair towars all other schools, and BOS' refusal to aknowledge the wrong-doings hints at a corrupt education system. Their ability to turn a blind eye to the "prize possesion" contradicts any fair play policy they have.

I don't know anyone from James Ruse, heard much about it, or even know what the school looks like, so I'm just expressing my view on the supposed issue.
yah im sick of what the BOS says. i've just finished the school certificate and these r my subjects for next year:

Maths Adv
Maths Ext 1
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Adv English
Legal Studies

i've heard that every kid who does all 3 sciences ends up struggling in yr 11 n 12. i heard that kids who do 3 unit n 4 unit math also struggle. i asked my teacher to teach us extra yr 11 n 12 stuff but she refused to do so because the BOS " doesn't allow it". I dont care though i've bougth like as many preliminary books as i can n i'm hoping to complete the entire preliminary course over the holidays. hopefully i can start HSC work by the time school reopens next year. people seem to think im crazy cause i'm trying to finish a year of work in 10 months all by myself( i've got no tutor). what do u guys think?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
digimonstudent said:
yah im sick of what the BOS says. i've just finished the school certificate and these r my subjects for next year:

Maths Adv
Maths Ext 1
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Adv English
Legal Studies

i've heard that every kid who does all 3 sciences ends up struggling in yr 11 n 12. i heard that kids who do 3 unit n 4 unit math also struggle. i asked my teacher to teach us extra yr 11 n 12 stuff but she refused to do so because the BOS " doesn't allow it". I dont care though i've bougth like as many preliminary books as i can n i'm hoping to complete the entire preliminary course over the holidays. hopefully i can start HSC work by the time school reopens next year. people seem to think im crazy cause i'm trying to finish a year of work in 10 months all by myself( i've got no tutor). what do u guys think?
I think you need to find yourself a girlfriend or a decent hobby.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hermand said:
haha benny,

i love our school's reputation

and the fact we're the most awesome school in the shire at everything.
not exactly a great achievement since half the shire is full of downers.

HSC
James Ruse are not cheaters, they are just willing to put in more efforts. If you are so concerned, why don't you start studying your HSC stuff at Year 7 and stop complaining about the inequality. It's not like they are going to hang you if you do that.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
superelizabeth said:
James Ruse are not cheaters, they are just willing to put in more efforts. If you are so concerned, why don't you start studying your HSC stuff at Year 7 and stop complaining about the inequality. It's not like they are going to hang you if you do that.
you're missing the point entirely.

lolrofllol

HSC
Enough retards claiming 'it's ok' for them to begin HSC work before their time.

If you bothered to read a page of posts, you would realise that although it is O.K. for them to complete HSC topics out of their own interest and ability.

IT ISN'T WHEN THE SCHOOL AND TEACHERS FORCE THEM HSC WORK AT YEAR 9-10 LEVELS.

James Ruse's kids are obviously intelligent, nothing against that so good on them - but it is unethical and (I assume that) it's also illegal since most of my teachers refuse to touch HSC work as they fear getting caught, and whatever punishment that comes with it.

I wouldn't bother doing anything about it, I think the world is unfair and we just have to move on.

But there is no legitimacy in claiming that it is O.K. when it is ABSOLUTELY NOT.

There is a difference between:
1. Doing HSC topics through your own accord
2. Being taught it at 9-10 level by the school

Please don't bother trying to refute that, if you do you're obviously a downer.

shakky15

HSC
lolrofllol said:

If you bothered to read a page of posts, you would realise that although it is O.K. for them to complete HSC topics out of their own interest and ability.

James Ruse's kids are obviously intelligent, nothing against that so good on them - but it is unethical and (I assume that) it's also illegal since most of my teachers refuse to touch HSC work as they fear getting caught, and whatever punishment that comes with it.

I wouldn't bother doing anything about it, I think the world is unfair and we just have to move on.

But there is no legitimacy in claiming that it is O.K. when it is ABSOLUTELY NOT.

im glad someone here speaks sense.

dp624

HSC
lolrofllol said:

I know for one that Ruse students don't get taught before their time. So it's pointless really

lolrofllol

HSC
dp624 said:
I know for one that Ruse students don't get taught before their time. So it's pointless really
I don't see the point of trying to say it doesn't happen when:

• the majority will not believe you
  • will not consider it to be possible that they don't
I said that it was irrational trying to argue that they could do so without breaking any ethical or legal rules in place.

I will leave my opinion to whether I believe it happens until, maybe, I stumble across some reliable information or something.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
3 years of constant whinging
And no one even has a proper source.
G.G

This thread -> divide by zero

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
lolrofllol said:

I'm not quite sure what people mean when they say we do the topics earlier. From my experience, we do the same topics as every other student, but we tend to go into more depth on them. And some of the in-depth stuff we cover may be part of the HSC course; I think the teachers think they're meant to prepare us, or something. But really, only the top few people get it, and they're the ones who'd've learnt the stuff by now anyway.

studentcheese

HSC
Ruse does the same stuff we do, except at a faster pace. Some of the in-depth stuff we cover are sometimes from the HSC course too (well, the preliminary anyway) so I don't think James Ruse is the only school doing this. Sometimes the extra material is not tested in our exams anyway, therefore, it does enable students to choose whether they want to learn it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Seriously - I don't think JR are cheaters. They may excessively accelerate - but that is there problem. They have many capable students who can accelerate easily (I found out at the distinction course briefing day) then of course they'll do well.

bored.of.u

HSC
critiek said:
Why is it that James Ruse is the only school in the State that starts HSC and Prelim work way before they are allowed to by the BOS?

No other selective school does this, even the high ranking girl and boy schools play by the rules and only start the HSC course after Year 11 has officially finished.

If anyone has seen a James Ruse maths test, they are doing 3 unit work in year 9/10 and their exams are more difficult than any other school urely because they have worked so far ahead.

Officially the BOS does NOT allow this yet they cast a blind eye over their love child with the politicians and spin doctors who want a model school for NSW. We don't tell the other states that this 'model' school plays by their own set of rules.

I find what James Ruse is doing extremely selfish and stereotypical of their school mentality of "marks marks marks".

The BOS also have less than impressive contact 'details' which are probably siphoned straight into their spam folders or answering machines.

People think it's impossible to overcome James Ruses' high standard but their is talent in every school, except they work hard and have no life.

I say we should make some noise and get the BOS to rethink their special treatment policy. I propose that because of their unfair advantage over other schools they should have their scaling reduced because they already have and advantage over other students even before they cheat and do the HSC material behind everyone else's back.
dude u gotta b smart...u can find past HSC and preliminary work on the internet on the board of studies website, u could go to textbook providers and buy HSC and prelim material off them eg. ENDEAVOURS BOOKS on Gow Street Padstow i bought all my preliminary books of them n now im half way through prelim course, plus u can download james ruse and syd boys yrly n halfyrly papers off internet. Thats wat i did...james ruse accelerates all their students because the students who go there are the type who are smart enough to think beyond the material of their age...

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
I cant really comment on them being taught HSC course stuff before they are allowed.

But, I do know one reason why they go well in some subjects!

The thing is with them, in Maths Ext2 for example, they are taught specific ways of solving problems over and over again..

If you give something to them which actually requires thought rather than remembering a process which they rote learned, then they struggle.

A teacher at my school replaced someone there for a while and thought he would give them some work which actually required them to understand conics, but none of them could do it..

Their responses were along the lines of "Yeah, but which equation do I use to solve it." LoL

They have just been programmed to recognise questions and solve using a certain template. Come real life when you actually have to think about things and use original thought to solve problems you have never seen before.. I'm sure a lot of them would struggle.

Of course this is a massive generalisation, a lot of the students who goto James Ruse are very intelligent, hard working and deserve the marks which they get.

It's just that at James Ruse they are taught in a way which maximises their UAI, not their understanding.

georgefren

HSC
James Ruse is the hardest selective school to get into in the state. So wouldnt that mean that it contains on average the brightest pupils every year, and does the best in the state? I mean, sure it cheats by going ahead. But who cares, all that means is that the kids are bright enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)