• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmahal1990

HSC
I didn't know James Ruse starts their HSC maths syllabus teaching early, nor was i aware that the BOS had a rule against doing so. I also thought this was a bit dodgy, but just one of those things you accept. A few observations:

I) Accelerating in a course is not the same as what James Ruse is doing. When you accelerate, you have a total of one year to study for that course as you sit the HSC exam earlier than everyone else, you dont get any extra time.

II) James Ruse does not have gifted students. Why would you say they have gifted students?

A) Their school produces consistantly a far superior UAI score than any other school.

B) Their school fields the smartest kids because they take the cream of crop from the year 6 selective school test.

but

A) If what the author of this post claims is true, then their superior UAI might effectively be the result of spending more time on the HSC syllabus than anyone else.

B) The selective school test does not reflect anything. People who recieved the highest scores in the selective school test does not translate to "gifted" students, most likely just people jacked up on tutoring. I mean come on, why are there so many asians in selective schools? Is it because they are just intellectually superior than any other race? Or is it a by product of tutoring and a set of cultural values that stresses on education?

And ask yourself how many people you know that got extremely high selective school entrance scores personally, that turned out to get 60s and 70s UAI ?

If you want to see gifted students, look at the students who top english that don't come from selective schools every year. They are the gifted and talented.

C) Taking from the tone of the people slamming the author on this page, they must be from James Ruse. Throwing a bunch of hard terms out there that doesnt help anything move along makes you look snobbish, not cool.

D) And finally...look okay....its no secret that if you spend more time than someone else you'll probably get a higher mark than the other person. James Ruse makes some real sacrifices to study. Just look at their sports curriculum, my friend went there two years ago and said that the only suitable sport he could do was walking.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Kmahal1990 said:
I didn't know James Ruse starts their HSC maths syllabus teaching early, nor was i aware that the BOS had a rule against doing so. I also thought this was a bit dodgy, but just one of those things you accept. A few observations:

I) Accelerating in a course is not the same as what James Ruse is doing. When you accelerate, you have a total of one year to study for that course as you sit the HSC exam earlier than everyone else, you dont get any extra time.

II) James Ruse does not have gifted students. Why would you say they have gifted students?

A) Their school produces consistantly a far superior UAI score than any other school.

B) Their school fields the smartest kids because they take the cream of crop from the year 6 selective school test.

but

A) If what the author of this post claims is true, then their superior UAI might effectively be the result of spending more time on the HSC syllabus than anyone else.

B) The selective school test does not reflect anything. People who recieved the highest scores in the selective school test does not translate to "gifted" students, most likely just people jacked up on tutoring. I mean come on, why are there so many asians in selective schools? Is it because they are just intellectually superior than any other race? Or is it a by product of tutoring and a set of cultural values that stresses on education?

And ask yourself how many people you know that got extremely high selective school entrance scores personally, that turned out to get 60s and 70s UAI ?

If you want to see gifted students, look at the students who top english that don't come from selective schools every year. They are the gifted and talented.

C) Taking from the tone of the people slamming the author on this page, they must be from James Ruse. Throwing a bunch of hard terms out there that doesnt help anything move along makes you look snobbish, not cool.

D) And finally...look okay....its no secret that if you spend more time than someone else you'll probably get a higher mark than the other person. James Ruse makes some real sacrifices to study. Just look at their sports curriculum, my friend went there two years ago and said that the only suitable sport he could do was walking.
tl;dr but lol at that.

lionking1191

HSC
oh btw regarding sports. Ruse does sport like any other school. in fact their extra-curricula activities are better than most schools. eg. debating. they also do well in regional athletics/cross country/swimming (especially cross ctry)

citing false, ill-informed sources makes you look stupid, best not to do it again

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Can we just get over this? Seriously...

jmp08077

Rusian 08
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
I don't see why you're doing 4U English.
i came 30th for yr11... so i was given the chance to do 4u ( i think top 50 at our school are allowed to do it) then I didnt do that well for the first hsc assessment and yeah i went down hill from there onwards.

im doing 4u coz i always wanted to write a story (more like a script). and right now, im doing better at 4u then 2u XD.

jmp08077

Rusian 08
HSC
Kmahal1990 said:
Just look at their sports curriculum, my friend went there two years ago and said that the only suitable sport he could do was walking.
uh...i did grade soccer, touch football, cricket at ruse..in the course of a year and half... and my soccer open team came first in the zone....i wonder which school your friend went to, but it's definitely not ruse XD or maybe he/she didnt get into the teams....?

SimonLee13

HSC
Kmahal1990 said:
Just look at their sports curriculum, my friend went there two years ago and said that the only suitable sport he could do was walking.

They have sports but a limited range on the competitive level. Since when was walking a sport anyway?

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
They have sports but a limited range on the competitive level. Since when was walking a sport anyway?
You want to go do the 50 km walk and then say it's not a sport?

SimonLee13

HSC
Aplus said:
You want to go do the 50 km walk and then say it's not a sport?
Grueling physical challenge? Yes. Sport? Meh. How many people actually watched that event during the Olympics?. People don't associate walking as a sport...

Fii

HSC
N/A
haha for sports ms mckensie made us walk thru a park tho...

THAT TOOK AGES!!!
[[in fact the whole double period]]

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
SimonLee13 said:
Grueling physical challenge? Yes. Sport? Meh. How many people actually watched that event during the Olympics?. People don't associate walking as a sport...
... Then why is it in the Olympics?
You're kind of contradicting yourself.

By the way, walking isn't offered as a Grade Sport, it's offered as Recreational Sport for those who don't participate in Grade. Get your facts right.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i spose its a bit annoying to think about, but if they did well enough to get into the school i spose they deserve it

aimhigh10

HSC
umm im in year 10 at the moment, and we've started ext 1 maths work...
and i dont go to james ruse....... or any selective school for that matter...

but i see how it is unfair

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
anyone can start doing a course early if they want, syllabus is available, textbooks can be bought from bookshops..

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I gather that that the OP isn't against talented students studying further, just the fact that the school condones and encourages study of the HSC syllabuses ahead of the time that they themself have specified study commences, and threatened action against if not obeyed. The extreamly smart students will always want to excell and learn as much as they can, delving into the HSC texts ahead of time, and they are allowed to do that on their own part, but when the school encourages this it becomes unfair towars all other schools, and BOS' refusal to aknowledge the wrong-doings hints at a corrupt education system. Their ability to turn a blind eye to the "prize possesion" contradicts any fair play policy they have.

I don't know anyone from James Ruse, heard much about it, or even know what the school looks like, so I'm just expressing my view on the supposed issue.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
AusBluesMan said:
but when the school encourages this it becomes unfair towars all other schools, and BOS' refusal to aknowledge the wrong-doings hints at a corrupt education system. Their ability to turn a blind eye to the "prize possesion" contradicts any fair play policy they have.
yeah thats true. discouraging students themselves studying ahead is not only completely unenforceable, but also just not a good policy, it just won't happen

the problem with this is how the Board deals with it.

i dislike how political education can be

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Charity F said:
james ruse and baulkham hills are the two schools dominating in terms of the number of teams they have partcipating in the grand finals, across all sports/age groups, compared to other comprehensive high schools in the area. so if that's not an indication of an all-round sporting achievement, then i don't know what is.
same with our school. even though we are selective, we often win zone carnivals in swimming athletics and cross country.

and go well in state knockouts.

its the most satisfying feeling ever, to turn up to a footy match as 'the caringbah calculators', to see the other team paying the shit out of you before the game, and then winning easily.

it is just

the best feeling.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
haha benny,

i love our school's reputation

and the fact we're the most awesome school in the shire at everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)