Is your 'best' subject your favourite subject? Why/why not? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm probably naturally the best at English, but I absolutely hate it.

dim-sims

HSC
My best is probably English but absolutely hate it so much. Cannot wait until I walk out of that paper 2 exam. English is just so crap and it's so time consuming to write essays.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

seanieg89

HSC
Maths was my best and probably my favourite.

The latter says more about how I disliked most of my other subjects though. Mathematics in general is beautiful, but the actual HSC courses are a little dull.

seanieg89

HSC
How are they dull?
Too much routine computation (where you see exactly the same questions hundreds of times), not all that much creativity/intuition required.

Marks can say more about how robotic you are at doing the same questions quickly and accurately than your understanding and how "good" you are at mathematics.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Best subject was MX1; favourite subject was Modern History.
If only modern was not in my chemistry time slot but in my eco timeslot.

---------------------

As for me in HS, at first I liked Chemistry and Maths throughout my junior years, then it became Physics and Maths in higher years.

I was always doing better in Maths than anything else in HS. Ended up getting my highest aggregate in Maths, but somehow highest mark in Physics.

But yeah come to uni and favourite courses are usually design related which is completely different to HS.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Wish I was an english person :haha:

And why do you hate the subject?
For starters, a notable percentage (not all) of people who do well are just pulling out rote learned responses that they have had considerable help with refining (from tutors, teachers, etc), and that's annoying to me. I also think there's too many texts and modules to actually allow for an in-depth analysis of any if them. In fairness, English is also taught really, really poorly at my school (like, if there's one band 6 in a cohort of 100 that's seen as an excellent year for the English department) which probably also affects how I view it.

What also really annoys me is how a lot of marks are given based on how smart something sounds; even if a word doesn't really fit in context if it sounds really intelligent it isn't questioned (see: half the responses in those BOS exemplar booklets). It just makes me angry to see that even by the HSC the markers don't care if what your saying doesn't really make that much sense, if you thesaurus all over it it's basically an insta band 6.

ChristineL

HSC
N/A
My best subject is music and it is also my favourite because it is one of the subjects which I actually enjoy.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
My best subjects were the ones I disliked the most.

I have significant creative differences with the logic and rationale (or lack thereof) behind the English HSC syllabus. That same syllabus caused me, despite being reasonably decent at writing, to drop from 2nd to 30th in my HSC cohort simply because of a single assessment. You know how Loki fights all of Asgard because he feels hard done by in the kingship stakes? That was like me and the Board of Studies. I trained harder than I've ever done to beat those bastard marking criteria into the ground. Every essay I wrote, every creative task I spun out of my Tesseract-clad posterior, I consoled myself against the pain with the thought that soon, soon I would have my revenge against the puny-minded fools in the Department of Education. Ended up topping Trials, 5th in year, 95 in HSC overall.

In Ext 2 Maths, I found myself struggling with EXTREMELY complex numbers while the rest of my class cruised ahead. My genius of a teacher didn't seem to notice and I didn't know what to do to stop myself floundering. So I hit the books and drilled exercises until I felt like my brain had a hypotenuse through its sphincter. My parents had a quiet word with my teacher and he, with a shock, said he hadn't even realised I was collapsing under the speed of his teaching. I asked stupid questions and got useful answers. 97 in final HSC and I walked away from my exams thinking "well, this wasn't as hard as the Trials suggested".

I love telling stories. In Ext 2 English, an esteemed mentor of mine told me that my major work - all 7800 words of it - was so convoluted that he "couldn't really understand a word of it". I almost quit that week. But I resolved that I was going to prove his pontificating haute-couture posturing wrong even if it melted my brain into verbal diarrhoea. I threw out 7800 words and wrote a new 5000 within that week. 50/50 and State Ranking in a subject I nearly dropped.

Love drives you to devote yourself to a subject. Antipathy makes you want to smash it into the sky with more force than a thousand Shoryukens. And that's why Ryu and Ken have trouble beating each other, but both have no difficulty demolishing Dan.

enoilgam

HSC
Modern History was my favourite subject and also my best. I've long had an interest in WW2 and since most of the Modern syllabus is based around WW2, the subject was perfect for me and my marks definitely reflected that.

celix

HSC
Look at all you english and maths goers :p
My Best subjects: Software Design, as well as Multimedia
And yes, these two are absolutely my favourite subjects :D
I love computers :3

hecticated

HSC
maths is overall my best subject, favourite is ext 2 maths or chemistry.

dunjaaa

HSC
Best: MX2
Favourite: MX2

The art of problem solving baby :p

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Favourite: History Ext.
Best: Legal studies

I just love the process of investigating.

History extension allowed me to enquire into something that mattered to me, at my own pace. It was a process of discovery and I can honestly say I enjoyed it.

Legal studies just made sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)