Is this normal? (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
HSC is coming up shortly and I have tons of holiday HW to do.
However I work non stop from 9- 7 (excluding lunch time which is 30mins)

Is that normal? I find myself paranoid if I work in small blocks with equal breaks.
And then I get depressed..which is ridiculous but true.

Also, if I am annontating a novel for english for eg.. i feel like i used up all my 'english time' on nothing. Should I work faster or do different things.
The only subject i hhave none of these issues with is math because I am constantly solving problems

But even writing notes on a subject seems a waste.

What should I do??

hayabusaboston

HSC

Is that normal? I find myself paranoid if I work in small blocks with equal breaks.

Also, if I am annontating a novel for english for eg.. i feel like i used up all my 'english time' on nothing. Should I work faster or do different things.
The only subject i hhave none of these issues with is math because I am constantly solving problems

What should I do??

I HAVE (Or HAD really) the exact same thing. Get depressed when I dont study, feel i should be doing something constructive.

My advice is, work faster, and FINISH one set of stuff before going on to other stuff

O its not normal by the way lol. Its what perfectionists do. But perfectionists, if they control themselves, achieve great things in life.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

What should I do??
Don't worry. The HSC is a long game. It's doing things like "annotating" consistently that will add up in the end.
Keep this up and you should have a good/through understanding of the content.

Also, we're stll in the early stages so there's no rush! :D

epicFAILx

HSC
May I ask what your ranks at school are?
My latest ones are pretty average. That was my end of year 11 ranks (havent gotten the year 12 ones yet)
Im usually middle of the class. All I know for english is my rank will go up on the next report because my result for english was (my personal best) above average

delian

HSC
N/A
The work you've put in so far is great, but remember to not stress too much. You don't want to burn out, so pace yourself.

Examine

same
HSC
It's ok to do that. Don't burn out too fast though because you will end up losing the race.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I should note that not all students in the state are studying. Annotating your novel is a good approach in my opinion. Good work. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, it's not normal. You're overworking, and there's a great chance that you will burn out when you get the HSC, which is not ideal.

epicFAILx

HSC
Hmmm... i will see how I go I suppose. I still feel bad for doing what I am doing.. just a little.

May I ask when is it a good time START to do past HSC papers?
For eg: biology i have only learned 1/4 of the content required in the HSC paper.. same as maths.. etc

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, do the questions that pertain to the material you have covered - so that you may revise for your upcoming exams in Term 1.

epicFAILx

HSC
Well, do the questions that pertain to the material you have covered - so that you may revise for your upcoming exams in Term 1.
will i have time to do HSC q's sometime this year (excluding the exam of course!)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
will i have time to do HSC q's sometime this year (excluding the exam of course!)
I would start early for each topic. Then do some other past papers closer to trials to perfect technique. The best papers you can do are from your schools.

enoilgam

HSC
No, it's not normal. You're overworking, and there's a great chance that you will burn out when you get the HSC, which is not ideal.
This, 9.5 hours a day at this point is insane - even if you are really experienced with studying, the amount you are doing is likely to lead you to burnout. You want to be on top of your game around trial/HSC time when many people begin tiring and start dropping off. Also, study is far more important during that period than it is now.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
This, 9.5 hours a day at this point is insane - even if you are really experienced with studying, the amount you are doing is likely to lead you to burnout. You want to be on top of your game around trial/HSC time when many people begin tiring and start dropping off. Also, study is far more important during that period than it is now.
I think there's this pressure for students this year to study more than what is required to achieve top marks. It's probably because they feel that they are behind or studying less than other people are.

enoilgam

HSC
I think there's this pressure for students this year to study more than what is required to achieve top marks. It's probably because they feel that they are behind or studying less than other people are.
They should slow down, because they chances are they will drop off later. I remember when I was in year 12, heaps of people who had never really studied prior to year 12 started working like maniacs during the first term/semester of year 12 (and there marks went up as well). By the end of the third term of year 12, most of them had dropped off completely. Year 12 isnt a sprint its a long distance race, you need to pace yourself so you have enough in the tank when it really counts (i.e. trial/final exams time, which on average are worth around 70% of your total HSC).

jnney

lemon
HSC
i think you are stressing out too much.

tambam

HSC
+1

OP, take advice from people who've already been through it, rather than other year12s who have an overinflated work ethic which might cause most of them to burn out before it matters.

This time last year I did not touch schoolwork all summer holidays, and the only time I worked anywhere near as hard as you was the month leading to and during hsc. Just relax, work consistently but moderately if you really feel the need, and take some time to have a real holiday because it sounds like you need it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)