Is it just me? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I find Q9 and Q10 in Mathematics 2U paper very, very difficult.

Well, I'm only a 2U student but how are all you guys coping. And how about you 3U guys, how are finding Q9 and 10 - just out of curiosity.

Discuss.

Cheers,

Bryce

Glorious

HSC
I did a paper not long ago, and I was wondering if anyone had the same problem. I thought it was only me. It is very difficult. I mean, some papers seem way easier than others, but generally they are pretty difficult :( Especially those maxima and minima things and proving gibberish equations.

I'm so not a maths-y person. Maybe I'm just lazy for maths. Don't know, but dont worry, we're on the same boat, pal.

D94

HSC
N/A
I do MX2 but as a general rule of thumb, the last question (or sometimes two) are meant to be discriminators to distinguish the 2u/3u students from the 2u students, so they are expected to be hard (or relatively hard) for the average 2 unit student.

HSC
Just think of the big picture and the process and you should be able to get most of them out. Good luck

_deloso

HSC
im doing alright in q 9 and 10 from the past papers... I do ext 1 but failing it so I don't consider myself as an ext student.

michaeljennings

HSC
I find Q9 and Q10 in Mathematics 2U paper very, very difficult.

Well, I'm only a 2U student but how are all you guys coping. And how about you 3U guys, how are finding Q9 and 10 - just out of curiosity.

Discuss.

Cheers,

Bryce
Yeah, as an ext1 student I rarely have a problem with Q9&10, I think they are generally aimed at 3u students, just as my teacher tells us that the last question in ext1 is for the 4u kids.

But in saying that,what's required is definitely something you already know or should know, and is basically a thought process.
So a brief guide to working through challenging questions:
1. Identify what topic/s the question is drawn from

2. Recall all formulas/rules/ tricks from the topic that may be relevant to the topic. (Especially more obscure stuff)
Eg. If the question had a triangle inside a circle, think Pythagoras, sine and cos rule, then all your circle segment areas formulas etc

3. If the question has more than one part, the first part will almost definitely required for the next, so if it is a 'show this' question, use the first part to do the second, so that at least you get SOME parts out (and the rest might come to you)

Basically, think about what you know, and how it could be relevant to the question, and something will help you.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, as an ext1 student I rarely have a problem with Q9&10, I think they are generally aimed at 3u students, just as my teacher tells us that the last question in ext1 is for the 4u kids.

But in saying that,what's required is definitely something you already know or should know, and is basically a thought process.
So a brief guide to working through challenging questions:
1. Identify what topic/s the question is drawn from

2. Recall all formulas/rules/ tricks from the topic that may be relevant to the topic. (Especially more obscure stuff)
Eg. If the question had a triangle inside a circle, think Pythagoras, sine and cos rule, then all your circle segment areas formulas etc

3. If the question has more than one part, the first part will almost definitely required for the next, so if it is a 'show this' question, use the first part to do the second, so that at least you get SOME parts out (and the rest might come to you)

Basically, think about what you know, and how it could be relevant to the question, and something will help you.
yeah but if you only have 15 min or so left, wouldn't that time be better spent checking over your previous working out to check that you didn't make simple mistakes which could cost you 5 - 9 marks or so, rather than spend 15 min trying to figure out how to do a 2 mark qs for qs 10. (this is from a 2unit point of view) but surely ext 1 students would make silly mistakes just probably not as many as a 2unit student.

michaeljennings

HSC
yeah but if you only have 15 min or so left, wouldn't that time be better spent checking over your previous working out to check that you didn't make simple mistakes which could cost you 5 - 9 marks or so, rather than spend 15 min trying to figure out how to do a 2 mark qs for qs 10. (this is from a 2unit point of view) but surely ext 1 students would make silly mistakes just probably not as many as a 2unit student.
Yeah, but if you want a band 6 you need to get around 100/120 (ive heard) so you should be attempting to get some marks in the last questions?
But I thought this thread was more about whether Q9-10 are doable, which they are, even with just the knowledge of 2u student.

Yeahhhh it really depends on who you are. If you know youre prone to making silly mistakes its better to check your work, but if you arent then you might as well attempt the question

Also yeah, as an ext1 student all my lost marks are silly errors, so I just try to get through the exam as soon as possible, to go back and do everything again

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's always easy marks throughout the test, even in Q9 and Q10. All you need to do is find out which ones you can/can't do and finish what you can. This should get you an extra 10 or so marks. If you have enough time, try to do the ones you couldn't do at first sight and when you are totally stumped, look over the exam.

kfnmpah

HSC
As someone said above, question 9/10 are to separate the ext atudegts and top 2u students out.
You should be able to do them though, they just require you to think more laterally and sift through all the bs in the question.

A

actuary1

Q8-10 are the easiest marks in a 2unit paper. I was offering free help and would have liked to show you people how to get 118+ raw for a 2unit paper but no one wanted it. Too bad.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Q8-10 are the easiest marks in a 2unit paper. I was offering free help and would have liked to show you people how to get 118+ raw for a 2unit paper but no one wanted it. Too bad.
Why would people want free help from someone like you when they can get better free help from these forums...lol :p

Plus, you tend to complain all about this 'I was offering free help before but you were a jerk' crap to people who are relatively new to the forums. How could they have known you were offering 'free help' when they probably weren't even active members in the first place? lol, you're all talk but no substance...

Hardly anyone was being a 'jerk' to you at all back in those days when you were helping out. Unfortunately, your helping out actually had an ulterior motive of trying to recruit students rather than genuinely volunteering to help (which was very naive of you to think it would work). Once you realised that your efforts were not recruiting students, you started calling them jerks for asking for help because you wanted to lay blame on them rather than yourself. Not only that, you were envious of others who successfully recruited students and made fewer contributions to this forum.

Rather than keep trying you gave it all up and just attacked/bullied and trolled these forums which achieved nothing but your own humiliation not to mention a few enemies who were stalking you. Yet, you still direct your attacks at the innocent (and call them jerks) rather than those who actually were jerks to you. The whole freakin point of this forum is for people to ask questions and discuss, so of course there will always be students who ask (in your terms) 'dumb' questions every year regardless of whether you have them as students or not...I mean it is near exam time after all and the wrong thing to do would be to not ask at all. That doesn't make it okay for you to patronise them for asking.

Sometimes I wonder how long you'll keep doing this trolling because you're going sound even more pathetic saying 'I offered help in 2010/2011 but you 2012ers were all jerks to me' LOL

The reality is, the only time people started being jerks to you was when you started being a jerk to them.

Argue back all you want mate, but that is the raw truth and I'm sure most people on this forum would agree with it.....you're just too stubborn to admit it and not interested in seeing this rationally

Last edited:
R

Revenues

Hardly anyone was being a 'jerk' to you at all back in those days when you were helping out. Unfortunately, your helping out actually had an ulterior motive of trying to recruit students rather than genuinely volunteering to help (which was very naive of you to think it would work). Once you realised that your efforts were not recruiting students, you started calling them jerks for asking for help because you wanted to lay blame on them rather than yourself. Not only that, you were envious of others who successfully recruited students and made fewer contributions to this forum.

tsk tsk , you still don't get it do you son. "others who successfully recruited students and made fewer contributions to this forum" --> That is why I wasn't happy, NOT because I did get any money.

Even in the past year I have found another site to help people on. You still think I am only after the money aye kiddo? Check my profile: http://openstudy.com/users/elecengineer.

I made it like 12months ago when I gave up on helping people here (I realise releasing it is pretty stupid, because now it gives all the idiots on BOS a place where they can potentially get help from me, but what can you do) and have been answering all sorts of questions from basic yr10 stuff to multivariable calculus and complex analysis which I learnt last semester. I have also been helping people with my accounting/economics/finance genius as well.

On top of that, I have got a yahoo answer account and I have probably answered like a good 500 or so questions over the 2years or so (and they were not all trivial questions, at least 50% of them would have been 3unit hsc or university questions) that it has been open. I just prefer the openstudy place more, you are not just answering randoms questions, it is usually the same people everyday that ask.

I find it's easier to help people that live in different countries, so then I will most likely not be helping anyone from BOS. Also it's pretty good revision for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)