• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it better to do 12 or 10 Units for HSC? (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour

HSC
you are in year 10 and already thinking about dropping subs in year 12?
calm down, you will change your mind once you start the subjects
i thought i 'hated' biology but then i tried it, and now its one of my best subjects
so yeah, chill and try a few subjects at the beginning of the year :)

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
I'd say do 10. You're going to end up dropping 2 units anyway, so may as well do it in the beginning. I had the choice between chem/phys/bio. I knew now matter how much I tried, I was going to fail bio so I decided to drop bio and focus more on chem/phys. Doing 12 is if you're too scared. The thing I'm scared of is screwing up my non-written exams.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
i thought i 'hated' biology but then i tried it, and now its one of my best subjects
This is an example of what I was trying to say before. Use those first four or so weeks wisely to try out different subjects or else...

HSC
Uni Grad
With Extension Japanese, make sure you are prepared to do the work. Know the text Spirited Away really well, because that's half of your exam for the HSC (check the past papers and just look through them, to see if you CAN physically do what is required). I have a friend who is doing her HSC now and doing Extension Japanese, so far from what I gathered and heard from her, it's hard, especially the speaking. Because you have like less than 10 minutes to write a 3 minute speech about some world topic like teenagers, stress, global warming etc. I wish I could do it, because I think it'll help me in University because I'm doing Japanese in University, but my marks are really terrible. See by the end of yearly exams, if you get lower than 80-85%, don't bother doing it.

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree. I thought I wouldn't mind Modern History, because I was reasonable doing histories and I'm dropping it because I hated it and I am terrible at it.

interesting

HSC
N/A
the more units, the better for year 11 as you can find out what you enjoy and could possibly drop in year 12.. i know people doing like 15 units for hsc its crazy :S,
anyways stick to 12.

starryblue

HSC
With Extension Japanese, make sure you are prepared to do the work. Know the text Spirited Away really well, because that's half of your exam for the HSC (check the past papers and just look through them, to see if you CAN physically do what is required). I have a friend who is doing her HSC now and doing Extension Japanese, so far from what I gathered and heard from her, it's hard, especially the speaking. Because you have like less than 10 minutes to write a 3 minute speech about some world topic like teenagers, stress, global warming etc. I wish I could do it, because I think it'll help me in University because I'm doing Japanese in University, but my marks are really terrible. See by the end of yearly exams, if you get lower than 80-85%, don't bother doing it.
tys~ but they're changing the text in my yr...we are the first yr to do the new text so its not going to be Spirited Away...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
In my opinion if you are confident in doing well in your subjects, you should do 10. If not 12 is the best bet. However, in Year 11 you WILL change your mind or at least consider different options for Year 12. So don't drop anything yet, see how you go first.

starryblue

HSC
In my opinion if you are confident in doing well in your subjects, you should do 10. If not 12 is the best bet. However, in Year 11 you WILL change your mind or at least consider different options for Year 12. So don't drop anything yet, see how you go first.
i'm pretty sure i wont change my mind and i'll keep all 12units...

interesting

HSC
N/A
but u changed? i won't change my subjects...definitely won't...its definitely goin to be 12 units since i'm pretty sure i wont risk it..=)
no he meant that he regretted choosing some of his subjects

reality3435

HSC
Do as many units as you can in year 11, then drop to either 10 or 11 for year 12 so you can concentrate on those units. Also, really helps knowing that you have 2units/4units in the bag when you do accelerated subjects .

10 units may be a little bit risky if you aren't so confident in one of your subjects but I know people who were sitting on 10 for their entire HSC year and did fine. Others did 13 Units and still did fine. It really depends on how confident you are with the 10 units that you are going to do, like you know that they're going to count, with a good mark ofc. But I do recommend not dropping to 10 at the beginning of yr 12 since it's kind of risky, instead wait until T1 assessments are over if you really want to drop.

1981Grant

HSC
Not trying to burst your bubble but carrying 12 units into the hsc is stupid.

I carried 13 for the first term and majorly regret it. I'm not a time management person but I'm intelligent and organised. It is not worth the stress and effort of maintaining 12 units as you can devote much more time to your 10 units when you are free of a subject doing much better in them. My advice is to go through year 11 and get a feel for what you are strong at and like (liking is important as you will study more for it). When you get to year 12 drop the weak subject(s) straight away, you will know what your poor at and you don't want that dragging you down the whole way.

reality3435

HSC
Not trying to burst your bubble but carrying 12 units into the hsc is stupid.

I carried 13 for the first term and majorly regret it. I'm not a time management person but I'm intelligent and organised. It is not worth the stress and effort of maintaining 12 units as you can devote much more time to your 10 units when you are free of a subject doing much better in them. My advice is to go through year 11 and get a feel for what you are strong at and like (liking is important as you will study more for it). When you get to year 12 drop the weak subject(s) straight away, you will know what your poor at and you don't want that dragging you down the whole way.
That is true for people with a weak subject (other than english), I'm speaking for those who are doing around the same (and well) in all of their subjects . It's more of a personal preference of how many units to do since some people do brilliantly with 13 throughout year 12, others are confident with their 10. If you're doing well in all your subjects, I would suggest continuing for at least until the end of T4 then drop the one that would take the most effort to bring up the marks.

1981Grant

HSC
That is true for people with a weak subject (other than english), I'm speaking for those who are doing around the same (and well) in all of their subjects . It's more of a personal preference of how many units to do since some people do brilliantly with 13 throughout year 12, others are confident with their 10. If you're doing well in all your subjects, I would suggest continuing for at least until the end of T4 then drop the one that would take the most effort to bring up the marks.
I mostly agree with this guy. We can't really help you though. Just go through year 11 first and then decide.

Anon9796

HSC
N/A
If you do 12 units, is it best to put the same amount of effort into each subject? Or not put in as much effort into your 'back-up' subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)