• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it better to do 12 or 10 Units for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do 12 units, is it best to put the same amount of effort into each subject? Or not put in as much effort into your 'back-up' subject?
its my opinion that you should put the effort into all because the HSC is really the luck of the draw. You might be killing bio but then the HSC just mucks you up and you do a lot worse than what you thought and bio becomes your subject that doesn't count. In that case, you would need a decent mark in your other subjects to make up for it. Don't go in with the attitude of 'its just my back up subject' because you never know what you might end up with. Just do the best you can with all your subjects.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I am 100% sure...no 200% + sure that i will never like any history/commerce related subject =) i think i'll just stick with science..
Well then Starryblue, are there no other subjects you like at all among:

- Engineering Studies
- SDD
- IPT
- Visual Arts
- PDHPE
- Design and Technology
- Music
- Drama

I know that many of these are pretty low scaling subjects and people are probably going to point that out, but if you have a GENUINE interest for one (or more) of the aforementioned subjects, then go for them since you are probably going to go the extra mile for those in order to do well in them. :)

ClassOf2013

HSC
I am not dropping anything (at this stage, anyway) because that way my lowest mark will not count towards my final mark.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Neither.

11 units
trollface.jpg

Not but in all seriousness, definitely wait till you get to end of yr 11/start of yr 12 to decide what to drop/extensions to pick up. You may be surprised what you end up dropping and picking up. (a la me, and like a billion other BOSers)
Honestly, I am doing 12 units because I like the security, for me EE2 is always a bit of a gamble, so I'd never have it as a "definite counter". And it's not too much workload, because I did 13 units for yr 11 and start of yr 12, it seems like a manageable subject load. Things don't always go according to plan, so I personally would at least do part of yr 12 with 12 or 11 units so when you drop, it's DEFINITELY the subject that won't count. You don't want to be eating regret pie about it later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)