In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Re: What is the most important subject?

foram said:
1) Mining Engineering is almost a guaranteed job.
2) I'm going to remain single.
3) It was a school excursion to UNSW, not a website, but i'm sure there are tables of the average salary of different jobs somewhere on the internet.
1. Stop thinking that once you graduate it is that easy to get a job.
2. Awww thats kind of too bad... youre going to miss out on that extra income...and be one of those DINK's
3. According to my career its just over 53:K

HSC
N/A

michael1990 said:
It doesn't buy happiness. But it makes happiness more accessible.
sure, if you measure all happiness in terms of material value... :rolleyes:

foram, your points suck. It's just bitterness about being crap at english.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
you cant seriously tell me you believe that. firstly teachers dont even know who you are if you have a student number on your assessment. secondly the reason why hypothetically asians get a bad mark is because they are just not good at english nothing to do with racism. just like asians are typically good at maths. (sorry for the stereotypes).
Actually, at my school, the english department doesn't give a student number to people, so names have to be written on the answer booklets. So the teachers know whos work they're marking. Thats how they managed to put the majority of asian boys, into one class, and the assessments are marked the the class's teacher. I'm in an all boys class... with a teacher who I think, really really hates the class.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

melanieeeee. said:
1. Stop thinking that once you graduate it is that easy to get a job.
2. Awww thats kind of too bad... youre going to miss out on that extra income...and be one of those DINK's
3. According to my career its just over 53:K
1) Mining engineers are in demand. Australia just can't get enough mining engineers, and engineers in general. It is very easy to get a job as an engineer. The shortage of engineers is also why they're payed so well, like good actuaries.

2) Extra income will be siphoned away by children. And I really hate children, (glad i never was one). :D

3) The UNSW spokesperson clearly stated that mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on the first year out of uni. But civil engineering only has an average salary of about 75k. I think the UNSW person would be better informed because she was an engineer too.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
Actually, at my school, the english department doesn't give a student number to people, so names have to be written on the answer booklets. So the teachers know whos work they're marking. Thats how they managed to put the majority of asian boys, into one class, and the assessments are marked the the class's teacher. I'm in an all boys class... with a teacher who I think, really really hates the class.
then your school clearly has a crap system. but if you are that much concerned why don't you ask the head of your school? if you do have evidence that they are being racist put it forward and I am pretty sure they'll get booted.

michael1990

HSC

-WaxingLyrical- said:
sure, if you measure all happiness in terms of material value... :rolleyes:

foram, your points suck. It's just bitterness about being crap at english.
I LOL'ed.

Well not really, i mean would you be happy if you owned your own home?

Would you be happy if you could give $1million to charity?

2 measures of money one is materialistic and two is goodwill.

They would both make me feel good.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

foram said:
2) Extra income will be siphoned away by children. And I really hate children, (glad i never was one). :D
What the fuck?

whatusername?

HSC

melanieeeee. said:
Economic essays and English essays may be different in terms of content where economic essays are more factual whist English essays are more interpretation however there are similarities such as gaining skills to actually write the essay, how to structure the essay etc.
Our english syllabus is irrelevant to life. Those essay writing skills are fostered just as well in subjects such as economics and even chemistry (long responses requiring a correct response to the text type). Much more important than essay writing skills is the ability to draw meaning from context. i dont mean the stupid connotational emotional meaning that we find in english from juxtaposition and shit. i mean being able to understand the meaning of a word or an entire piece of writing from its context alone. this is important- vital- in being able to understand fucked up legal language in many situations such as contracts etc

melanieeeee. said:
secondly the reason why hypothetically asians get a bad mark is because they are just not good at english nothing to do with racism. just like asians are typically good at maths. (sorry for the stereotypes).
That's stupid. recent asian immigrants may have bad english, as may the first generation of their children. BUT MANY IMMIGRANTS FROM ANY NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRy WILL SPEAK SKETCHY ENGLISH. even then, however, most 2nd generation australians have good, if not perfect english. im a 2nd generation australian, and im very articulate (dont mean to brag, but im as articulate if not more than many 4th or 5th generation white australians)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

foram said:
1) Mining engineers are in demand. Australia just can't get enough mining engineers, and engineers in general. It is very easy to get a job as an engineer. The shortage of engineers is also why they're payed so well, like good actuaries.

3) The UNSW spokesperson clearly stated that mining engineering has an average salary of 120k on the first year out of uni. But civil engineering only has an average salary of about 75k. I think the UNSW person would be better informed because she was an engineer too.
1. Yeah have fun going out to the middle of no where. I'm sure when you die the money will just comfort you (provided that you actually have someone to burry you once your gone).

2. DINK's stand for double income no kids

3. Spokespeople can be biased, lie, get the wrong information, express the information the wrong way etc.

michael1990

HSC

[B said:
melanieeeee.][/B]Economic essays and English essays may be different in terms of content where economic essays are more factual whist English essays are more interpretation however there are similarities such as gaining skills to actually write the essay, how to structure the essay etc.

All essays are different. I don't think you can compare economics to english. I would compare english to history maybe. Although i do not do history.

whatusername?

HSC

Money means a LOT. it can't buy happiness, true, but it can make just about any situation that you are in better. if money doesnt mean anything to any of you, how much are you going to keep in ur bank? for that matter how much will you spend? if u dont think it matters, give it to someone who does, like the poor who dont HAVE money. there is a direct connection between the affluence of a suburb and its crime rate. for some reason (though, of course, money doesnt buy happiness!), richer suburbs have less violence.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

whatusername? said:
That's stupid. recent asian immigrants may have bad english, as may the first generation of their children. BUT MANY IMMIGRANTS FROM ANY NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRy WILL SPEAK SKETCHY ENGLISH. even then, however, most 2nd generation australians have good, if not perfect english. im a 2nd generation australian, and im very articulate (dont mean to brag, but im as articulate if not more than many 4th or 5th generation white australians)
Thats true. I'm 1st generation australian but my english is better than many white australians too. for example, in the the SC, i got 94 which was better than many of the people who got put into the upper classes. So i'm a bit skeptical about my schools english department's operations. Ofcouse the SC is not worth the paper its printed on, but if people can't do well in such an easy test, then they shouldn't be in the upper classes while i'm stuck in the bottom class.

whatusername?

HSC

catzhernandez said:
Yes, as I was reading this I thought to myself. This guy is definitely a 5th Generation Australian. You just "ooze" eloquence with every post you make. Very articulate indeed.
or maybe i just cant be fucked putting capitals, reading over and editting my posts? my point remains dickhead, race has nothing to do with eloquence

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

I'm sure theres something fishy going on in my schools english department.

undalay

HSC

To catzhernandez You need 2 weeks to post in non-school not post count (90% sure)

To people saying english is the most important because it has to count to UAI.
That is a really stupid reason. If you do 10 units, then they all have to count...

I Agree with lyounamu the basics of english are highly underrated. Most people can't even construct a proper sentence and end up comparatively analysing advanced texts.

I disagree with Foram. There's no job that pays 100k+ a year after graduation(on average).

And the reason mining is higher then others is because.
1. It's in the middle of nowhere
2. The pay is included as a whole 'package', i.e. part of the 80k or w/e includes atleast 20k in travel expenses/living expenses/food.
3. It's in the middle of nowhere.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

undalay said:
I disagree with Foram. There's no job that pays 100k+ a year after graduation(on average).

And the reason mining is higher then others is because.
1. It's in the middle of nowhere
2. The pay is included as a whole 'package', i.e. part of the 80k or w/e includes atleast 20k in travel expenses/living expenses/food.
3. It's in the middle of nowhere.
If not mining engineering, then i'm quite sure dentistry will pay over 100k.

Also, the spokesperson at UNSW said that travel expenses and food and lodging would be provided for mining engineers.

But i'm very sure that mining engineering pays over 100k average.

EDIT: I found a chart of average salaries of mining engineers, although this may not necessarily be the first year out of uni... http://content.mycareer.com.au/sala.../australia?s_rid=salary-subsector-location-go

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

aMUSEd1977 said:
English you dumbfuck, because it is always part of your UAI.
It's highly subjective. I know that English is going to be part of my UAI but at the same time, I know that Mathematics is going to be part of my UAI as I am only going to be doing 11 units or so.

For people who do 10 units, all subjects are equaly important.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC

whatusername? said:
Our english syllabus is irrelevant to life. Those essay writing skills are fostered just as well in subjects such as economics and even chemistry (long responses requiring a correct response to the text type). Much more important than essay writing skills is the ability to draw meaning from context. i dont mean the stupid connotational emotional meaning that we find in english from juxtaposition and shit. i mean being able to understand the meaning of a word or an entire piece of writing from its context alone. this is important- vital- in being able to understand fucked up legal language in many situations such as contracts etc
but the english course pretty much revolves around essay writing skills where as economics is more to do with the content. anywho you learn critical analysis skills more in english than in economics which really helps once you get to uni (especially if you are doing an arts degree)

im not saying asians speak bad english im saying hypothetically if an asian gets a bad mark in a subject its not because of racism (or i doubt it is about racism)

whatusername? said:
Money means a LOT. it can't buy happiness, true, but it can make just about any situation that you are in better. if money doesnt mean anything to any of you, how much are you going to keep in ur bank? for that matter how much will you spend? if u dont think it matters, give it to someone who does, like the poor who dont HAVE money. there is a direct connection between the affluence of a suburb and its crime rate. for some reason (though, of course, money doesnt buy happiness!), richer suburbs have less violence.
i didnt say it meant nothing i said it doesn't mean everything.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

I've always wanted to know... what career opportunities are there for b.arts? Isn't it a better idea to do a different generalist degree like commerce?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)