Hardware:

- Intel Pentium 4 w/HT 3.2GHz
Integrated Stereo Sound
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Network Card
Intel(R) 865PE Chipset
15.4" Ultrasharp(TM) Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display
Dell(TM) Media Experience Software
- 1024Mb (2x512) 400MHz DDR Memory SDRAM
- 80GB Ultra ATA 5600rpms Hard drive (they aren't offering a 7200rpm version)
- DVD+RW/+R with CD-RW Drive
- Wireless 1450 (802.11a/b/g) MiniPCI Card
- 56K modem
- 128MB DDR Radeon Mobility 9700 AGP 8X graphics
- A425 Speakers with subwoofer
- TrueMobile 300 Bluetooth module

Software & Others:

- Windows XP Professional
- 3 Year Mobile Support with CAR service and Theft Cover warranty
- Microsoft Works
- Burlwood Color Kit
- Extra 16-cell lithium battery
- Spare AC adaptor

Final price: $4,284.50

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Here's what I conjured up so far:

Hardware:

- Intel Pentium 4 w/HT 3.2GHz
Integrated Stereo Sound
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Network Card
Intel(R) 865PE Chipset
15.4" Ultrasharp(TM) Wide Screen UXGA TFT Display
Dell(TM) Media Experience Software
- 1024Mb (2x512) 400MHz DDR Memory SDRAM
- 80GB Ultra ATA 5600rpms Hard drive (they aren't offering a 7200rpm version)
- DVD+RW/+R with CD-RW Drive
- Wireless 1450 (802.11a/b/g) MiniPCI Card
- 56K modem
- 128MB DDR Radeon Mobility 9700 AGP 8X graphics
- A425 Speakers with subwoofer
- TrueMobile 300 Bluetooth module

Software & Others:

- Windows XP Professional
- 3 Year Mobile Support with CAR service and Theft Cover warranty
- Microsoft Works
- Burlwood Color Kit
- Extra 16-cell lithium battery
- Spare AC adaptor

Final price: $4,284.50
too heavy....

it will get too hot...

cause that is destop p4 ie. 89W
You want a light bulb burning in your computer?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
too heavy....

it will get too hot...

cause that is destop p4 ie. 89W
You want a light bulb burning in your computer?
Of course it will get hot. But at the moment I'm more worried about performance than heat. Plus I'm insured for 3 years so I'm not worried about it calling the quits due to a burnout.

They aren't offering the Intel P4 M chips for the 9100 Inspiron, so I guess I'll have to settle for a regular P4.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats nice you're after performance, but when you start lugging it around uni, I think you'll want to give up some of that performance for less weight and size.

Generator

HSC
N/A
JKD, if you end up becoming one of those people using their laptop to 'study' up on Level of 4 of Wentworth, then you should not be suprised to see a few pieces of fruit heading your way :p.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sunny
Thats nice you're after performance, but when you start lugging it around uni, I think you'll want to give up some of that performance for less weight and size.
It's only around 4-5kg. I lug around way more than that when I'm at uni anyway, since I tend to have a strange habit of bringing my big physics and chemistry textbooks with me everyday.

Originally posted by Generator
JKD, if you end up becoming one of those people using their laptop to 'study' up on Level of 4 of Wentworth, then you should not be suprised to see a few pieces of fruit heading your way :p.
Yeah, right.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Another option I can take if I wanted to reduce weight and heat is to get the best 8600 Inspiron with the best specs instead, with the only main real difference being the Radeon 9600 PRO TURBO Mobility instead of the Radeon 9700 Mobility.

The processor will be a 2.0GHz P4 M, so that will reduce heat and increase battery life.

And it will be 3-4kg instead of 4-5.

sunny

meh.
HSC
It's only around 4-5kg. I lug around way more than that when I'm at uni anyway, since I tend to have a strange habit of bringing my big physics and chemistry textbooks with me everyday.
eeeee......4-5kg for a laptop is pretty much as heavy as they come. Add that to what you would already normally/might carry and it would be a health hazard.

A typically middle weight laptop floats around 2.5-3kg, and even at that weight most people get tired of carrying them around, in both a shoulder strap carry case or backpack. Mine weighs in at 2.7, and I avoid carrying it where possible.

Really, consider this point seriously. After a while you will get sick of having to carry it, no matter how much you are used to.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Think of it this way, if I have a laptop, I won't have to carry my textbooks or lecture notes anymore. I've always wanted to 'transfer' some of my textbook notes onto a laptop via scanning, so I can 'read my textbook' on my laptop. Yeah, I know that might sound like a stupid idea in terms of effort and time, but it's something I would want to do. So in conclusion, if I had a say MAX 5 kg laptop, I would not have to carry around 10kg of paper with me to uni.

Now I've been lugging around 10-15kg bags to uni each day for awhile now, not a backpack, an actual bag you hold drag along with one of your hands (no shoulder straps), and I actually don't mind it.

But rest assured I'm not just letting your words go around my head, I'am seriously considering taking the 8600 option instead, where weight is reduced. However the point is, I don't mind carrying something heavy around, and no matter what laptop I get, I'll still end up carrying a bag that's lighter in the end because I won't have to carry as much paper. I mean really, I can't lose here.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Think of it this way, if I have a laptop, I won't have to carry my textbooks or lecture notes anymore. I've always wanted to 'transfer' some of my textbook notes onto a laptop via scanning, so I can 'read my textbook' on my laptop. Yeah, I know that might sound like a stupid idea in terms of effort and time, but it's something I would want to do. So in conclusion, if I had a say MAX 5 kg laptop, I would not have to carry around 10kg of paper with me to uni.

Now I've been lugging around 10-15kg bags to uni each day for awhile now, not a backpack, an actual bag you hold drag along with one of your hands (no shoulder straps), and I actually don't mind it.
Fair enough :) But if thats the case, theres probably several other things I should point out.....

Say you have 3-4 hours of lectures each day, you might be pushed for battery life without recharging on the one day. There doesn't seem to be any battery life information at Dell, but I'd put my money for no more than 3 hours or so on a beast machine like the 9100. And say if you wanted to play some games during your breaks ;) you'd be pushed for battery life to write notes later on

Some lectures HATE students using laptops. Period.

Sometimes it might not be convenient to be taking a laptop out in class. This is one of those spur of the moment things that happen....like "oooh those guys next to me look pretty shifty...better not use the laptop in class" - or just other situations where you'd prefer not taking a machine out of your bag, like say in a tute.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I acknowledge that the battery life for the 9100 is crap. Infact, atrocious might I mention. Around 2 hours at best, which is why I'm purchasing a second battery.

Originally posted by sunny
Some lectures HATE students using laptops. Period.

Sometimes it might not be convenient to be taking a laptop out in class. This is one of those spur of the moment things that happen....like "oooh those guys next to me look pretty shifty...better not use the laptop in class" - or just other situations where you'd prefer not taking a machine out of your bag, like say in a tute.
Hrm, good point.

All in all, I just wished that Dell had a Pentium M option for the 9100.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Maybe I'll wait another 2 months before the purchase since the almighty game has been postponed again, for the billionth time to sometime August, and perhaps by then they might have introduced Dothan for the 9100.

*fingers crossed*

Collin

HSC
N/A
Anyway, I've changed my mind about the laptop, and I guess a part of it was thanks to you sunny.

I'm gonna spend it on a gaming desktop now instead:
- 3GHz P4
- 1536Mb DDR PC3200
- 256MB Radeon X800 PRO or 256MB NX6800 ULTRA
- 160GB 7200rpm HD
- Creative Audigy 2 Zs Platinum
- Creative Megaworks 5.1 THX550
- DVD-RW+
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, here I come.

Most importantly, thanks everyone for their laptop advices.

Last edited:

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
wooo i'll join in coz i just got a new laptop too~

Pentium M 1.7
60gb HD
512 RAM
dvd writer
2.5 kilos
bah...and so the usual stuff as well
there goes $1800 :(

Last edited:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Originally posted by jay2000
wooo i'll join in coz i just got a new laptop too~

Pentium M 1.7
60gb HD
512 RAM
dvd writer
2.5 kilos
bah...and so the usual stuff as well
there goes $1800 :(
wow, that's a pretty good price! what brand????

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
packard bell...haha..is that a good brand? i'm not so good with computers..

Collin

HSC
N/A
Reasonable brand, excellent price. Just make sure you ask for extended warranty.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Yeah mate, have you got contacts or something. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)