i want to buy a laptop (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
nah no contacts
i got it in HK...special promotion...like 30% off almost, plus i'm paying it in installments interest free..hehe :)

Mithoric

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Anyway, I've changed my mind about the laptop, and I guess a part of it was thanks to you sunny.

I'm gonna spend it on a gaming desktop now instead:
- 3GHz P4
- 1536Mb DDR PC3200
- 256MB Radeon X800 PRO or 256MB NX6800 ULTRA
- 160GB 7200rpm HD
- Creative Audigy 2 Zs Platinum
- Creative Megaworks 5.1 THX550
- DVD-RW+
Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, here I come.

Most importantly, thanks everyone for their laptop advices.
>> Creative Megaworks 5.1 THx550 <<
5.1 is a waste on such a good card, I'd either go for a lower card or a 6.1/7.1 set

>> 256MB Radeon X800 PRO or 256MB NX6800 ULTRA <<
ATI all the way nVidia are gasping at straws trying to stay in the fight. The age of ATI and AMD has begun,... again. Same goes for your CPU, get a 3200+ or 3400+ AMD. Maybe wait for an X800XT or wait till July - August for PCI-Express to come out and save yourself any upgrading trouble in the future.

>> DVD-RW+ <<
Try and get a ± drive, they aren't that much different price wise and - discs are cheaper and better, although that depends on where you buy. Don't worry about geting a dual layer or 8x drive either.

>> 1536Mb DDR PC3200 <<
You could get rid of some of this to spend more money on any other parts. Try to go for as separate modules to take advantage of ddr's real power. And you could go for less ram and bump up your frequency. If you go higher frequency get heat spreaders.

Have you decided on a mobo yet? I would recommend getting an AMD cpu with a nice nForce III chipset mobo. But that's me.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Mithoric
>> Creative Megaworks 5.1 THx550 <<
5.1 is a waste on such a good card, I'd either go for a lower card or a 6.1/7.1 set

>> 256MB Radeon X800 PRO or 256MB NX6800 ULTRA <<
ATI all the way nVidia are gasping at straws trying to stay in the fight. The age of ATI and AMD has begun,... again. Same goes for your CPU, get a 3200+ or 3400+ AMD. Maybe wait for an X800XT or wait till July - August for PCI-Express to come out and save yourself any upgrading trouble in the future.

>> DVD-RW+ <<
Try and get a ± drive, they aren't that much different price wise and - discs are cheaper and better, although that depends on where you buy. Don't worry about geting a dual layer or 8x drive either.

>> 1536Mb DDR PC3200 <<
You could get rid of some of this to spend more money on any other parts. Try to go for as separate modules to take advantage of ddr's real power. And you could go for less ram and bump up your frequency. If you go higher frequency get heat spreaders.

Have you decided on a mobo yet? I would recommend getting an AMD cpu with a nice nForce III chipset mobo. But that's me.

Can't agree with you anymore there.... Yes i recommend AMD too, perhaps AMD 64, at least you'll have a more sustainable system in the future run.

You might wanna get two SATA HDD's and RAID it.

That's sort of similar to my next machine which i'm getitng next year... so far the proposed specs for mine is

Dual AMD 64 Bit 4500, when it comes out that is
3 GB of DDR 2
3 X 250 GB SATA
Dual DVD RW +/-

and gfx and mobo i'll see what's the best one out by then :D...

and for monitor, i'm intending to get a two 21 " LCD's dual display baby! :D...

and that's it for now

Collin

HSC
N/A
Woops, I forgot to update my plans, yeah I already changed from those specs awhile ago Mithoric don't you worry.

Currently I'm on:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus K8VSEDeluxe
Nvidia 256MB 6800 Ultra
1GB Corsair PC3200
Seagate 160GB 7200rpm
Sony Dual Layer DVD+RW/+R DVD-RW/-R
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Logitech Z-680THX

There doesn't seem to be many high powered 6.1 or 7.1 speakers out there, so I'm just gonna go for 5.1

Video card wise, I would prefer the X800XT in general, ATi seem to be lagging in the stencil shadowing and openGL department. And I guess the 3.0 architecture support of the 6800ULTRA will only benefit me long term (although not much use right now).
Negatives of course are the facts that it's one big fucker which takes up two PCI slots as well as that it generates alot more heat than it's X800 series counterpart.

Another option I could take is to wait a while longer for the 939 socket AMD chips to go down in price a bit.

Originally posted by Winston
Dual AMD 64 Bit 4500, when it comes out that is
3 GB of DDR 2
3 X 250 GB SATA
Dual DVD RW +/-

and gfx and mobo i'll see what's the best one out by then :D...

and for monitor, i'm intending to get a two 21 " LCD's dual display baby! :D...

and that's it for now
You're going to be horrendously rich next year.. right?

Well looks like you could shout me to Krispy Kremes everyday then. :D

Winston

HSC
hahah no collin, how about how much ur paying for your system, is how much im gonan pay for mine next yr :p..

and one thing dont go for sony burners, any product of sony in computing sucks balls, they're good at some aspects, but they suck at some, esp burners, i have had heaps of exp with them, u should get a Liteon, much cheaper and better too.

And as Mithoric mentioned, u should seperate ur RAM, it's better, it does take more advantage of it, esp when it's DDR, having two seperate 512 DDR modules is better than having a 1 gig module all in one, and it's cheaper too, or unless u wanna have 2 x 1 gig modules :p...

btw u ass dont u go on msn, i added u ...

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm paying $4,000.

By the looks of things, your computer will cost atleast $7,000, assuming you purchase it one year from now.

Main culprits:
Dual AMD 64 4500+......................... expensive.
3GB RAM... expensive.
Best SFX....... expensive, usually around $800-$900
Two 21inch LCDs........ well I think that speaks for itself. :p

And by all means I'm hoping you make such a purchase, because I'd be interested to know the benchmarks.

And yes, I'am having 2 512MB chips. I forgot to mention it in my thing above.. only time I'd go for 1GB chip is if it was cheaper than 2 512MB, which isn't likely so no gig unit for me.

And I've banned myself from MSN till after the exams. With the prospect of me failing 1901 and PHYS, I thought that was appropriate. Trying to ban myself from BOS.. well that didn't work so well.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Sorry people. I'm going to have to make you jealous....I just got a new 17" LCD screen

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDProf/VP171s.htm

Now I join the poor club.
but why viewsonic? :S... they''re errrr nah nvm lol u shoudl of went for samsung, they're rated the best lcd manufacturers and i would know with the experience ive had witht hem, they rock.

Winston

HSC
I'm paying $4,000.

By the looks of things, your computer will cost atleast $7,000, assuming you purchase it one year from now.

Main culprits:
Dual AMD 64 4500+......................... expensive.
3GB RAM... expensive.
Best SFX....... expensive, usually around $800-$900
Two 21inch LCDs........ well I think that speaks for itself. :p

And by all means I'm hoping you make such a purchase, because I'd be interested to know the benchmarks.

And yes, I'am having 2 512MB chips. I forgot to mention it in my thing above.. only time I'd go for 1GB chip is if it was cheaper than 2 512MB, which isn't likely so no gig unit for me.

And I've banned myself from MSN till after the exams. With the prospect of me failing 1901 and PHYS, I thought that was appropriate. Trying to ban myself from BOS.. well that didn't work so well.
for some reason i think you're getting rorted badly if you pay 4 grand :) ...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
but why viewsonic? :S... they''re errrr nah nvm lol u shoudl of went for samsung, they're rated the best lcd manufacturers and i would know with the experience ive had witht hem, they rock.
All the monitors I've had so far are Viewsonics and I quite like them....t was a spare unit at a warehouse, and a person there sold it to me.

edit: because of that....it was quite cheap :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm not. I've been linked to a few of the cheapest online stores and will be buying the specific parts of several sites just to get them the cheapest, and the rig will still end up higher than $4,000.

Actually, I see where you're getting at. I only included the integral components, but within that $4,000, a 19in+ monitor aswell as other miscellaneous things like Extended warranty on all parts, mice, keyboard, case etc.

Infact, let's do a sum now (all in approx values):
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - $360
mobo - $220
RAM - $460
Video Card - $900
HD - $190
DVD - $240 (could cut down on that)
Audigy 2 ZS Pl. Pro $450
Logitech 680 - $470
Case - $230
510MX mouse - $55
Keyboard - $30
Warranty - $200
Monitor - $350
PSU - $170

= Over $4300.

Now I doubt I'll be able to cut down on much in terms of price there.. unless you can mention something.

So as you can see, $4,000+ is to be expected.

Winston

HSC
I'm not. I've been linked to a few of the cheapest online stores and will be buying the specific parts of several sites just to get them the cheapest, and the rig will still end up higher than $4,000.

Actually, I see where you're getting at. I only included the integral components, but within that $4,000, a 19in+ monitor aswell as other miscellaneous things like Extended warranty on all parts, mice, keyboard, case etc.

Infact, let's do a sum now (all in approx values):
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - $360
mobo - $220
RAM - $460
Video Card - $900
HD - $190
DVD - $240 (could cut down on that)
Audigy 2 ZS Pl. Pro $450
Logitech 680 - $470
Case - $230
510MX mouse - $55
Keyboard - $30
Warranty - $200
Monitor - $350
PSU - $170

= Over $4300.

Now I doubt I'll be able to cut down on much in terms of price there.. unless you can mention something.

So as you can see, $4,000+ is to be expected.
lol i can get the DVD for 150 :p... and the rest i can get a tad cheaper.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Where? I reckon if there's anywhere else you could buy those parts for cheaper (assuming you don't have contacts); the difference will only be very very slight. But if you do have any links, I'm all ears.

And $150 for a DVD? Where? (Unless you're talking about some cheapo one)

Winston

HSC
Where? I reckon if there's anywhere else you could buy those parts for cheaper (assuming you don't have contacts); the difference will only be very very slight. But if you do have any links, I'm all ears.

And $150 for a DVD? Where? (Unless you're talking about some cheapo one)
It's a Liteon one... very good.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Okay, I'm gonna go look for this Liteon one now. So this company is the best for DVD drives?

Collin

HSC
N/A
'LiteOn LDW-851S IDE DVD-RW Kit, 8x DVD+ 4x DVD-R, 4x DVD+ 2x DVD-RW, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW' $165

That doesn't seem to be ±RW..

Winston

HSC
this one sounds like it

Liteon DVD±R/DVD±RW 8xRetail

:p

Collin

HSC
N/A
$145..

That's pretty damn cheap. Why is it so cheap if it's such a good brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)