i want to buy a laptop (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
$145..

That's pretty damn cheap. Why is it so cheap if it's such a good brand?
That's just like asking, why is AMD cheaper than Intel.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Are you proclaiming LiteOn to be the best in terms of value only? Because at this moment, I can't seem to find any evidence of it being a top brass in quality.. or atleast over Sony.

Winston

HSC
Are you proclaiming LiteOn to be the best in terms of value only? Because at this moment, I can't seem to find any evidence of it being a top brass in quality.. or atleast over Sony.
That's because you're a superficial nugget. Why don't you spend more on the sony, and then come back later and tell me how much you would of listened to me and saved a bit of money and could of got the LiteOn.

Collin

HSC
N/A
If I was a superficial nugget, I'd always go for an Intel chip.
I never claimed that one was better than the other, except to ask for a reason for why one was better than the other, and so far you've only provided me with a personal judgement, which is insufficient because that would be equivalent to someone taking someone else's word as a sole determinant to purchase say, an AMD chip. You buy it when you read more formal benchmarks, performance tests, quality tests etc., not when you just listen to one person and settle.
So if you can't link me to an actual review, comparing it to some other DVD drives on the market, but still proclaim the product to be superior, I have all reason to conclude you to be bias, logical?

If someone asked me whether to buy product A, or product B and I told them to buy product A, even though it was half as cheap, I would expect them to question me with quality concerns. At that stage, I would link them to comparable assessments between the two products to prove which one is better, not only give them a personal assessment and then label them as superficial for favouring the more expensive one.

Winston

HSC
If I was a superficial nugget, I'd always go for an Intel chip.
I never claimed that one was better than the other, except to ask for a reason for why one was better than the other, and so far you've only provided me with a personal judgement, which is insufficient because that would be equivalent to someone taking someone else's word as a sole determinant to purchase say, an AMD chip. You buy it when you read more formal benchmarks, performance tests, quality tests etc., not when you just listen to one person and settle.
So if you can't link me to an actual review, comparing it to some other DVD drives on the market, but still proclaim the product to be superior, I have all reason to conclude you to be bias, logical?

If someone asked me whether to buy product A, or product B and I told them to buy product A, even though it was half as cheap, I would expect them to question me with quality concerns. At that stage, I would link them to comparable assessments between the two products to prove which one is better, not only give them a personal assessment and then label them as superficial for favouring the more expensive one.
lol ok i don't have time to read that :p... but i've had experience from LiteOn, over Sony's, that's why. There's no use for me to tell, you what's the cache for buffer overrun in the burner, etc... it's not that, when it comes to hardware, it really comes down to asking people who's actually had hands on to it, and has tried it.

Collin

HSC
N/A
LOL, I had a feeling you'd reply with 'Sorry no time to read it all'.. you impatient swine. :p

And yes, I will go with the LiteOn simply because it's cheaper, and it's cheap enough for me to take a risk with it.. incase it turns out to be a dud or something.

Oh and I just learned that Alienware has released Dual-6800 ULTRAs. Benchmarks tells that it's 77% more powerful than the already most powerful card (along with the X800XT) on the market. Hm.
Too bad it costs over $5000US for the entire system.

And another thing, I've never built a computer from scratch before, where the hard drive was new. So when you first put all the components together, and turn the computer on, what do you get presented with? Can you just stick in your XP cd or something.. or will you need an XP bootup disk? And how do you make one?

Winston

HSC
LOL, I had a feeling you'd reply with 'Sorry no time to read it all'.. you impatient swine. :p

And yes, I will go with the LiteOn simply because it's cheaper, and it's cheap enough for me to take a risk with it.. incase it turns out to be a dud or something.

Oh and I just learned that Alienware has released Dual-6800 ULTRAs. Benchmarks tells that it's 77% more powerful than the already most powerful card (along with the X800XT) on the market. Hm.
Too bad it costs over $5000US for the entire system.

And another thing, I've never built a computer from scratch before, where the hard drive was new. So when you first put all the components together, and turn the computer on, what do you get presented with? Can you just stick in your XP cd or something.. or will you need an XP bootup disk? And how do you make one?

Everything will be there..., you'll see your nice flashy POST screen, and you can just go into CMOS setup and configure your boot device so that it boots off CD-ROM, and then you can boot off XP and yeah install etc... you sure you know what you're doing? When are you getting the parts? if it's after the exams, i'll assemble the thing together with you :D...

Collin

HSC
N/A
To be honest, I have no idea what to do in terms of going to CMOS. I've never done it before.. yet I don't want to pay the bloody labour fee for those guys to do it either.. sigh.

My first goal is to build everything up right, so that when I turn on the power it actually WORKS.

Then I gotta go to CMOS and do all this crap? :uhoh:.. I think I better start sucking up to you. So err.. feeling hungry for some Kremes? :D

Winston

HSC
To be honest, I have no idea what to do in terms of going to CMOS. I've never done it before.. yet I don't want to pay the bloody labour fee for those guys to do it either.. sigh.

My first goal is to build everything up right, so that when I turn on the power it actually WORKS.

Then I gotta go to CMOS and do all this crap? :uhoh:.. I think I better start sucking up to you. So err.. feeling hungry for some Kremes? :D

Heh nah just get me a pineapple donut from donut king... that's enough :p... yeah don't take it lightly man... but my friend fried his fucking RAM and MOBO, cause he had no idea what he was doing... so yeah :)... just give me a buzz after my exams, and i can give you a hand? but don't you fucking live on the other side of the planet? :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'd seriously shout you to a box of donuts actually if you wanted it, because I'd rather that than pay those other fuckers 40-100 bucks labour fee lol.

And did your friend fry his ram and mobo by assembling it wrong, or doing something wrong in CMOS? Either way I'm getting scared :uhoh:.. like really scared. Imagine if I fried my $900 graphics or $450 sound card. I'd go shoot myself in the foot. :p

Winston

HSC
I'd seriously shout you to a box of donuts actually if you wanted it, because I'd rather that than pay those other fuckers 40-100 bucks labour fee lol.

And did your friend fry his ram and mobo by assembling it wrong, or doing something wrong in CMOS? Either way I'm getting scared :uhoh:.. like really scared. Imagine if I fried my $900 graphics or $450 sound card. I'd go shoot myself in the foot. :p
He was smart enough to walk on carpet holding the RAM stick, and he fried his motherboard while installing it into the case. :D

Mithoric

HSC
Woah this thread whent pretty quick since I posted last ...

>> Sorry people. I'm going to have to make you jealous....I just got a new 17" LCD screen <<
Nice, but I'm packing a 22" CRT and a 19" LCD on my desktop :p...

As for booting your system after you've connected it, these days it's a lot easier. Simply go into the bios and change the boot order so that the cd is first and whack your xp cd in the drive...follow the prompts. :)
I remember the old days where you had to have startup diskettes and you needed your jumpers on your hdd, these days your mobo is not your average bear.

Don't worry about frying your system just take it slow and double check everything... and then check it again.

Make sure your mobo is mounted properly on the rubber spacers or your mobo won't be the only thing to fry ;) ..

Don't assemble it or even take anything out of it's antistatic packaging over carpet. If you are going to make sure you earth yourself before touching something. Do this by just grabbing your case or get some copper wire and wrap it around your wrist and onto your case, just make sure it's long enough to move your arm a metre and a bit so you can use two hands when putting stuff in.

Make sure that you set the right switches for your cpu on the mobo, and then check it again. Always check stuff again before turning it on.

Make sure your ram is seated properly wouldn't want to burn it out.

Make sure you pull your safety pin on your agp slot out before putting your graphics card it as well..

It's pretty hard not to get everything in the right way and the right spot these days though. :)

And LiteOn is cheap because that's their selling point :) ... you don't see it often but they literally have good quality value for money hardware.

I can also recommend Acer for drives, they are taking a hint from LiteOn these days and trying to follow suite. I got another drive for my desktop beast last year, Acer cd-burner, $45 and it actually was 10/10 in all the reviews out.

Winston, your system will cost a packet! As much as my desktop was at the start of this year even. My system was $7500, and I'm planning on selling the mobo and graphics card in about 3 months to upgrade to a pci-express mobo and graphics card. Keeping my 3400+ AMD 64 cpu though.

Why do you want to go dual is my main question? And why 3gb of ram? I must admit I have 3gb of ram but I didn't pay for my system (present from a business partner) so I maxed out the specs.

Dual will only help if you do lots of multi tasking. If you do intense 3d rendering or compiling many tens of thousands of lines of source code. Or if you want to do distributed computing projects.
It won't increase game speed, it might infact lower it. You would be just wasting your money..

It's not 2 x power it's 2 x computers. It's like having 2 desktops so you can work on to different things at once and not notice a performance hit.

Winston

HSC
ummm well i wont play games... and ur right ill be compiling like monkeys and furthermore alot of high level gfx rendering, and it wont cost too much... ive got it all layed out :D...

Mithoric

HSC
compiling like mokeys eh, what you into? high level gfx rendering eh, you sound much like me ... except older.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Mithoric
>> Sorry people. I'm going to have to make you jealous....I just got a new 17" LCD screen <<
Nice, but I'm packing a 22" CRT and a 19" LCD on my desktop :p...
The best part is the RRP is $1249.....I got it for $650 :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
The best part is the RRP is $1249.....I got it for $650 :p
wtf? LOL... umm i can get a brand new Samsung 17" for 600....

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hrm.. don't know whether I should get one or not.
If I get an LCD, I'll get a 17in Samsung $650...
but then again I could save alot by getting a cheapass 19in..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sunny

meh.
HSC
Once you LCD....you never go back!

I don't know why this model has such an expensive RRP, maybe cause its new or something, up until last week it still wasn't listed in the Australian Viewsonic website yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)