HSC mark! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi :)

I'm just wondering, if you screwed up a test really bad and its worth 10%, how much would it affect your HSC mark?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
It will barely affect your HSC marks
Assessments make up a total of 50% on your HSC marks, hence one subject is 10% (assuming its 2 units)
Therefore an assessment worth 10% for a subject will only contribute to 1% of your HSC mark

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
It will barely affect your HSC marks (disregarding aligning, ranks, etc.)
Assessments make up a total of 50% on your HSC marks, hence one subject is 10% (assuming its 2 units)
Therefore an assessment worth 10% for a subject will only contribute to 1% of your HSC mark
This.

Regardless of how small the weighting of an assignment may be, it is clearly the best if you give in 100%. Performing consistently well in assessments with different weightings is obviously beneficial but you never know, you may come first by a very small gap thanks to doing well in the 10% assessment!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
It would contribute to 5% of your HSC Mark.

50% external. 50% internal.

10% of your 50% internal would be 5%.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
It would contribute to 5% of your HSC Mark.

50% external. 50% internal.

10% of your 50% internal would be 5%.
50% internal is for 5 subjects (2u each)
10% is one subject
10% assessment for one subject would make it 1% of HSC mark :p

D94

HSC
N/A
You guys are forgetting that this is 10% of your raw mark. This is bound to change depending on the HSC exam performance. It can be the difference between a Band 5 and Band 6, or it could very negligible.

D94

HSC
N/A
50% internal is for 5 subjects (2u each)
10% is one subject
10% assessment for one subject would make it 1% of HSC mark :p
No, what are you on about? ...your HSC mark for one subject is a mark for one subject only. E.g. you may receive 85 for English and 90 for Physics etc. Each of those subjects consist of 50% being your moderated assessment mark and 50% being your HSC exam mark. Each subject is independent of each other.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
No, what are you on about? ...your HSC mark for one subject is a mark for one subject only. E.g. you may receive 85 for English and 90 for Physics etc. Each of those subjects consist of 50% being your moderated assessment mark and 50% being your HSC exam mark. Each subject is independent of each other.
oh sorry I was taking it as an overall for atar
My bad :p

D94

HSC
N/A
But wouldn't it just affect your ranking at school?
BOS doesn't look at your ranks by itself. They look at your raw marks, and where you sit in your cohort (not in terms of rank, but in terms of how many marks you differ from the person ranked above and below you).

It may or may not affect your rank, but it will definitely impact your raw mark. Coming say 5th by 2 raw marks puts you in a far better position that coming 5th by 20 raw marks. But you're still ranked 5th, so your rank really means nothing. It doesn't really show how you positioned in your cohort, whether you're a top student or a not-so-good student. If the top 9 ranks differ by 1%, then rank 10 differs by 30%, then saying you're top 10 means nothing...you're way behind the top students in the cohort.

So yes, it can affect your HSC mark considerably. It can be the difference between a Band 5 and Band 6. But at the same time, it may be negligible. It will depend on how you and your cohort performs in the HSC exams.

kenkap

HSC
It will barely affect your HSC marks
r u high?

HSC
could i still get 90's overall in a 2 unit subject if i got 80% for the first assessment which was worth 20%

Project2036

HSC
can I still get a 90 for a subject if I got 70 in the first task and it was worth 30%

help

Project2036

HSC
Possibly yes to both. It will strongly depend on how well your cohorts perform in the HSC exams.
so how my cohort performs in the final exam?
my school rank is 110 and we have a strong cohort

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
so how my cohort performs in the final exam?
my school rank is 110 and we have a strong cohort
Doesn't really say much..."strong cohort" is very subjective - if you compare your school with James Ruse, it's probably a very weak cohort but if you compare to a rank 600 school, it's probably very strong.

At the end of the day, your HSC exam probably is worth more than the advertised "50%" because it influences your internal moderated mark.

If you got 100% for all internals and get rank 1, is it different to 50% internals rank 1? In this case, they're both exactly the same and your internal mark is based almost purely on your external.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi :)

I'm just wondering, if you screwed up a test really bad and its worth 10%, how much would it affect your HSC mark?

Questions like this are very difficult to answer, because there are so many variables to consider (as D94 has illustrated). It might have a big impact or it might not - chances are it probably wont have a significant impact, but it is very difficult to be definitive. Bottom line is it is done now and all you can do is work hard to improve later - so focus on that I reckon.

HSC
do i need to get like 95%+ in every other assessment to make it possible for a 90+ overall? My school rank is 100-110 and my cohort are average

kenkap

HSC
do i need to get like 95%+ in every other assessment to make it possible for a 90+ overall? My school rank is 100-110 and my cohort are average
just make sure you are close to top ranks in every subject..it should get you a safe 90+ mark...

HSC
If you we're planning on dropping that subject, would it still counts towards anything? I.e school average?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)