How to get Extension English (1 Viewer)

awaitingtrain

HSC
I've always achieved far better results in English than any of my other subjects and I was hoping that come year 11 I would be able to break away from the herd and study extension as a challenge. But (and a big one), my school has NEVER ever taught extension English in it's entire history and nobody except a close friend and I are willing to break the metaphorical ground.

Since our school is already stretching it's limits our Principal will not allow an extension class unless it has 6 students or more, and as I mentioned before it's just the two of us. I've been considering studying by correspondance, but I'm not quite sure whether taking an extension subject without a teacher is wise. I have a friend who goes to Francis Xavier in Newcastle who's doing extension so he would be able to offer some help.

Do you think it's worth the considerable risk? :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sure, why not? It won't hurt at all - in fact, I encourage you to try it. Even if you do decide to drop Extension English, the skills you have gained in Extension will help you with your Advanced work.

NewiJapper

HSC
What school do you go to? I'm at kotara and we had around 12 in our eng ext in prelim.

awaitingtrain

HSC
What school do you go to? I'm at kotara and we had around 12 in our eng ext in prelim.
I go to Hunter River High (Raymond Terrace High)... You know the one which was recently labelled a "fight club" by the Newcastle Herald??

I'll talk to my subjects coordinator on Monday. I have five free periods a fortnight, I don't see why I can't take another subject :D And in my experience text books can be very useful.

ilikebeeef

HSC
I go to Hunter River High (Raymond Terrace High)... You know the one which was recently labelled a "fight club" by the Newcastle Herald??

I'll talk to my subjects coordinator on Monday. I have five free periods a fortnight, I don't see why I can't take another subject :D And in my experience text books can be very useful.
You don't really get textbooks for Prelims English Extension. Most of it is pretty much individual work.

awaitingtrain

HSC
Oh. I see how that might be a problem. If it's mostly individual work then the only way you know you're on track is from the teachers feed back.

With a correspondance course do you send assignments and stuff to a marker or something??

ilikebeeef

HSC
Oh. I see how that might be a problem. If it's mostly individual work then the only way you know you're on track is from the teachers feed back.

With a correspondance course do you send assignments and stuff to a marker or something??
I don't know what your school would do, but for mine, it's like this:

We do four texts in class within Prelims, centering around the theme "Cultures and Values". This is what is discussed in class. There's also a big fat Cultures and Values booklet (which is as thick as a textbook) that we were supposed to have read and summarised.

Then there's the individual aspect which consists of 2 "Independent Investigations". There are a list of kind of like "themes" e.g. "Caves and Cities". Each of these themes have their own prescribed texts. You choose one theme per Independent Investigation, pretty much, well, investigate. For the first one, students were assessed by giving speeches. For the second one, I think students had to write a story + reflection statement based on the things they have learnt, that was assessed.

Btw both of the "class" and "individual" aspects happen at the same time.

klaris

HSC
Getting six kids might be a little difficult. How many kids attend your school? I go to a school with over a thousand students and my Extension class only has four of us in it (including myself)

That said, push for it. Extension is ah-mazing. Far better than Advanced and heaven for those who are passionate about English. It is worth it, even though it is a 1U.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
yeah xtensions fun. our teacher goes through all the texts thoroughly. weve got 3 ext1 eng classes with abt 16 people each.
Why do I find it hard to believe that you do Extension English?

It would really depend on the module if you did it by distance, we did the archetypal myth last year and our teacher really didn't engage with us all that much and just gave us notes. So that's one where if you just did your own research on it then you'd be fine with distance.

Push for it and see if you can get any more people doing it so they will form a class that way you have someone there. Also the majority of the time extensions are run offline so unless your whole class and your teacher has a free at the same time it is unlikely it will be in one of your frees.

awaitingtrain

HSC
yeah xtensions fun. our teacher goes through all the texts thoroughly. weve got 3 ext1 eng classes with abt 16 people each.
You don't find doing both 3U math and English hard? Well it's obviously going to be demanding but have you ever really had to struggle?

My friends already think I'm mad and I'd love to give them another reason and everything but do you really think it's worth it?? :confused:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Extension 1 English is awesome. You read great books, and it's an ACTUAL study of text - no imaginary techniques, but you analyse why a book was put together in the way it was and the society of its time.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
It's also not that hard a course since it is one constant module so you have time to develop your thesis through the year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)