How to get band 5 without a tutor! (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not everything is about textual intergration but it is the students that can use textual intergration that get the higher marks
Textual Integrity and Textual Intergration (or Intertextuality) are different things.

SK2010

HSC
Hey buddy, listen il pay for your tutoring and i know you go to Cherrybrook Technology High and ask me for the funding whenever you want :)
lol how do you know I go to CTHS and who did you think I am?

And why do you want to pay for me to get tutored? Also wouldn't you like come after me if I didn't pay you back or something?

SK2010

HSC
Hey buddy, listen il pay for your tutoring and i know you go to Cherrybrook Technology High and ask me for the funding whenever you want :)
Are you like what....stalking me or something? PM me to guess who I am if you think I go to CTHS

SK2010

HSC
btw why do I have a little red dot on the left side of my profile thread thingy????

Big_Squish

HSC
Do any of you guys know if a school marks you harder on in-school assesments and exams so that when it comes to external exams such as the HSC you will do better because you push yourself to get better mark with hte tougher marking criteria of your particular school?

btw, first ever post :p

Thanx.

Reanna

HSC
Do any of you guys know if a school marks you harder on in-school assesments and exams so that when it comes to external exams such as the HSC you will do better because you push yourself to get better mark with hte tougher marking criteria of your particular school?

btw, first ever post :p

Thanx.
first ever WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark Invoker

HSC
It's impossible to study English itself so I really see no point in a tutor. All you can really do is improve your vocabulary by reading and writing a lot...

Anyway,
- Know your texts and know them well. If you want a more in depth notes about context/belonging or whatever you're studying relating to your text - pick up some study notes (buy or borrow from a library).

- Structure/organize your essays well. My teacher says you should spend 5 minutes planning your essays before you start writing. Imo, you should know the organization and structure of your essay like it's written on the back of your hand, before you sit the exam.

- Practice. It honestly doesn't require much. Plan your essay to a general question about the topic (E.G topic is belonging, answer "How is belonging represented in both texts" or topic is context, answer "How has the context shaped the representation/appreciation of the text"). The questions in the HSC / your internal exams aren't going to be much different, you'll be able to regurgitate most of the information and if you memorize a lot of different essays
to various questions - you'll be able to write it word for word.

As someone said before, you could get a Band 5 by cramming a few days before and regurgitating your essay in the exam. English doesn't take long to study for, the most time consuming part would be knowing your text back to front.

Also - all the people saying "I'm only aiming for a band 5 because my school marks hard" or something along those lines...It's about ranks, not marks. If you got an average mark and you're ranked 1st in the subject and then do well in your HSC - you'll get a great ATAR and band 6s.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
tHANKS FOR THE TIP i REALLY APPRECIATE IT yeah lol (soz for cap lock - *sigh* stupid laptop keys) anyways ok I will take your advice since your mother is an english teacher lol thank her for me ok....
Her mother is a PD teacher, a fail one at that.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
  • Do your class work.
  • Listen to your teacher.
  • Make sure you understand the rubric for each module.
  • Know your texts back to front.
  • Appreciate your texts.
  • Choose your related texts wisely. Make sure that you actually like them. It's so much easier to write about a text that you enjoy.
  • Keep an organised notebook full of useful quotes/scenes/acts/lines/stanzas/etc. and explanations and such that you can refer back to. Use tags to separate each text.
  • Write ALL THE TIME. Essays, articles, short stories, interviews and everything. Just write.

NewiJapper

HSC
I'd be happy to look at an essay of yours for you and see if I can give you any feedback? (I don't mean to boast but I'm not bad at english :p)

Or if anyone else offers on here you should let them have a look! Lot's of people are intelligent on here and most likely won't mind giving a hand :)

If this problem with your teacher persists how about asking for an interview with your parents or you, the teacher and a deputy or the head of english perhaps? Get to the root of your or the teachers problem?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You do not need a tutor, especially for english.

Develop an interest in what you're learning, read the sources that your teachers provide, write lots of practice essays and submit them for marking before the exams.

:)

ilikebeeef

HSC
Yes five points is a lot. No I am sorry you are incorrect both my parent are teachers my mum a DP. The ATAR is not effect by your in school marks that is incorrect. You get two rankings an in school ranking obviously only based on in class stuff and an over all rank in each subject this is based on your ATAR and your in class rank. (Obviously scaled). My 'rents aren't home so I can't tell you or remember if there is an overall rank but I would doubt it. SO yes that is the truth.
You don't get two rankings in a school, especially NOT ATAR-wise. The school doesn't even get access to people's ATARs. ATARs are confidential.

The ATAR IS affected by school marks. 50% of it is.

Ranks CANNOT be scaled, what are you on about?

Wow, having two teaching parents really means that you know everything about the HSC system.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
I dont have any advice on english because i put it outside of my head after hsc ( good riddance lol ! ) but if it makes u feel better i got 98 & band 6's in all my subjects without any tutoring. My reasoning was different, i wanted to do it on my own without an help from others. But what im getting to is, throughout the year my ranking in english at school was quite bad ( 32/155) and our schools english faculty was a bit messed up in the sense that almost every class had teachers writing essays for them and all u had to do was rewrite that essay. That is every class, except mine. Surprisingly however to my dismay, in hsc i got a band 6 while many ranked above me did not ( i think only 10 ppl from my ended up getting band 6 for english ). So moral of the story is. Aim HIGH, ANYTHING is ' realistic ' the question is are u willing enough to make it reality ? ( corny i know, but true).

Tutoring is unecessary. I know a lot of people who did tutoring and got marks significantly less than mine. Others changed to private schools and what not to go to a school with better ranking. total waste of time if you ask me. If you want to do well and really try hard ( not too much - consistency makes it easy and takes the pressure off) you will get the mark you deserve. Nothing is holding you back but yourself. All tutoring does is gives you EXTRA assistance, but its upto you to do the work always.

Sorry. This turned out to be a motivational speech haha. Basically, i never thought i would get a band 5 for english let alone a band 6 when i was in your position. So all hope is not lost :)

Nadiaa

HSC
omgd.
how did u do it??
:(
your advice will be REALLY helpful because im horrible :(

omgd.

HSC
N/A
omgd.
how did u do it??
:(
your advice will be REALLY helpful because im horrible :(
How did i do what ? lol. sorry you have to be a bit more specific please so i can answer the question in a way that it may help u :) do you mean with english ? or atar in general ? or with no tutoring ?

And dont call yourself horrible. Thats really not the push youre looking for trust me :p it should be more ' hsc is my bitch. i can so do this ' =P at the end you will realise it was all nothing, and you get the mark you deserve.

But yes, if youre a bit more specific, i can try and help =) I was always looking for motivation/inspiration last year so i know how it is :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)