How messy is your handwriting allowed to get in english? (1 Viewer)

artosis

HSC
Ok I got my hands on one of those student responses book. hsc workbook thing published by bos.
and some of those responses have god awful handwriting. its basically to the point where one in five words are completely illegible. I think in one of the creative writing ones, i couldnt even read a single word past the first paragraph

ofc some of them are neat/legible.
but those who write like 12 pages in one response have horrible, horrible handwriting
i mean i could probably do 12 pages myself if i wrote like that.

so my question is; how messy are u allowed to write before the markers start getting pissed.
and what happens if the marker can only read about one in five words like some of those in the student responses book?
do they just give an estimate?
coz i cant imagine the markers sitting there trying to decipher some of those words.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Mine is like a Doctors handwriting, you need skill to read it :(

But what sly said, if it's readable it's all good

HSC
My english teacher's done HSC marking and she said if they can't read it it goes away and gets typed up by someone and then it comes back... plus english teachers I hae found can read just about anything haha.... it would have to be pretty damn bad for it not to be able to be read

herbs1

HSC
Writing depends. You need experience in reading it, but I often "merge" characters, so my the looks like he with a line through the h. Other times, is etc become parts of other letters etc. If you have a decent flow, you can usually guess the word by looking at the shape/starting letter etc.

interesting

HSC
N/A
As long as it is legible it won't matter. If the marker can't read it i think its just tough luck then.. dont think theyll ask other markers what they reckon the words are

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My experience as a Modern History marker is that the marker sits with their Senior Marker and they decifer what they can and award a mark. Then when it gets to the second marker that marker again sits with the Senior Marker (who will be the same one) and again they decifer what they can with the second marker also awarding a mark. The Senior Marker is there, at this stage, to simply help decifer words. Then after the centre has been marked if the marks between the first and second markers are discrepant the SM gets the final say, having read it now three times.

I have never heard of a work being sent away to be typed - afterall would the typist be able to read it anyway?

Another furphy I have heard is them callling in the student to read it to them - not going to happen - the process has to be completely fair for all students so what about the student who sits the exams in Tonga and they don't arrive until about three days before the marks are finalised. There is no way to get that student to Sydney.

Simply put - if we can't read it we can't mark it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As messy as fuck - so long as it's legible.

HSC
what if the marker sees you're ranked first and cant read your writing? will they assume you're good or just not mark it?

yours

HSC
most of these responses aren't particularly helpful. You need to show visual examples to demonstrate what you mean by borderline 'legible'

themanman

HSC
N/A
what if the marker sees you're ranked first and cant read your writing? will they assume you're good or just not mark it?
the marker doesnt know the person nor their rank

BTW, YOUR WRITING HAS TO BE ON THE VERGE OF SCRIBBLE FOR THEM NOT TO DECIPHER IT

s2 SEductive

MostDefinitelyIncredible
HSC
Oh How my writing changes when writing essays =[

I hope the last one is acceptable =[

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Mine is like a Doctors handwriting, you need skill to read it :(

But what sly said, if it's readable it's all good
Doctors couldn't write to save their lives. Same goes with bad teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)