How many hours of study a night? (1 Viewer)

jarrod123

HSC
Class of 2009 and any other years before that

How many hours did you do during the HSC each night? I know that you would have been doing more coming up to big tests but on a normal night how many hours would you have done?

If you respond, could you also please put your UAI or marks or something

thanks

Monsterman

HSC
Class of 2009 and any other years before that

How many hours did you do during the HSC each night? I know that you would have been doing more coming up to big tests but on a normal night how many hours would you have done?

If you respond, could you also please put your UAI or marks or something

thanks
all day.. and the time it takes to do an exam paper.. 3 hours or so.. just kept doing them.. 10-20min breaks and 30min breaks for english cause my hands die..

would had done 14hours or more maybe

edit: dont let any of the hours scare you.. you'll get used to it..

K

khorne

quality over quantity...Is 14 hours of "study" better than, say 4? Instead of having time limits, set the things you need to get done...Eg, complete 1 past paper, write notes, do hw...Sometimes it might take more, other times less, but it gets done =]

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
It would be easier to say when I wasn't studying.

During the HSC, I woke up around 10 am (8 am when the HSC exams started in the mornings), studied until 1 pm, ate lunch, watched TV from 3-4 pm and then studied from 5 pm - 11 pm.

So around 9 - 12 hours a day.

Study was pretty quality intensive. I wouldn't slack off too much, and I was either writing/typing notes, memorising, researching information on the internet or doing past papers/reading HSC markers notes. A large part of it as goals during the day - such as "Complete essay outline for Belonging" or "Go through entire option for Biology". Once they were completed, I would then read through everything that I'd written or typed, so it would actually sink into my brain.

In my opinion, anything around 5 hours of study or more per day is a good approach - and anything more than 12 hours per day is too much to handle.

But if you're talking about normally on a weeknight/weekend during year 12 - I'd say about an average of 3 hours a night.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Varies. 2 hours a day on a school night.

No idea about UAI.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
1 hr-1.5hrs max a night

don't actually study, just did math hw and wrote notes for phys + chem

UAI - 95.65 easily

Monsterman

HSC
quality over quantity...Is 14 hours of "study" better than, say 4? Instead of having time limits, set the things you need to get done...Eg, complete 1 past paper, write notes, do hw...Sometimes it might take more, other times less, but it gets done =]
If you did 4hours of study during the hsc that is pretty crap.. and writing notes should had been done before it....

Varies. 2 hours a day on a school night.
No idea about UAI.
1 hr-1.5hrs max a night
don't actually study, just did math hw and wrote notes for phys + chem
UAI - 95.65 easily
during the hsc?...

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
and writing notes should had been done before it....
Not always.

I agree that it's always good to write notes throughout year 12, but sometimes writing additional notes a few days before an exam can be more beneficial than just reading through pre-prepared notes. Writing notes - or even summarising notes - makes the information fresh in your mind.

Monsterman

HSC
Not always.

I agree that it's always good to write notes throughout year 12, but sometimes writing additional notes a few days before an exam can be more beneficial than just reading through pre-prepared notes. Writing notes - or even summarising notes - makes the information fresh in your mind.
That maybe true but.. i find myself going through all the dotpoints for the sciences just to make sure that i covered everything that could be asked in topic exams.. though the funny thing is that my school forces me to make notes as an assessment... so yea..

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Normal afternoons I either didn't study because I didn't want to or I studied for about 2 hours max (this includes piano practice because it was part of my HSC). Most of the time it was just homework or assessment tasks anyway.
Starting from about the middle of the year I went to the library most Thursday and Friday afternoons from 3pm/4pm til about 6pm/7pm. Note writing time.

Lead up to trials/HSC in the holidays I spent every day at the library (minus weekends sometimes) and studied/wrote notes for 5-8 hours depending on how bothered I was.

I almost always refuse to study past 7pm.

UAI/ATAR? No idea, not even an estimate and I haven't even finished my last exam. My assessment ranks were good though.

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Study? What study :'D?

Yar, 0 hours of study a night. But when it came to homework and assignments, I took however long it took to complete it (unless it wasn't that important and I was dead tired/wanted to go to sleep).

My bad habit? Cramming hours and hours of 'study' before exams. (It was rare for me to start studying one or two weeks prior to the start of my first exams).

tegan-leanne

HSC
i worked hard all year, then i didnt need to do like 12hrs a day. the amount of study i did stepped up throughout the year. i started doing a few hours a week then i was doing 10hrs a week for most of yr 12 and around trials etc i stepped up to about 20hrs outside of school time. it was around 3hrs a night.
during the study time before the actualy exams i was only doing about 35hrs a week. i realised that i only needed a uai of 75-80 so there was no point killing myself to get 98. it means nothign once you get into uni so who cares.
i think the biggest thing is to make the study effective. if it felt like it wasn't sinking in i stopped because there was no point in tiring yourself out for something that wasnt even helping.
also, saying that notes should be done beforehand, i did some notes during the year and when i looked back on them i decided to chuck them and i started again. at the start of the year you dont have the same knowledge and you dont have the skills to write the summaries as well but as the year goes on you learn and its easier just to start again. that was the same with my english essays. im pretty much re-wrote them because i read them again and all i could see were flaws.
hehe thats an essay in itself. woops
basically, i dont believe it takes 12hrs a day to learn what you need to learn. make your study effective and do what works and you wont need to spend hours on study.
i guess we'll have to wait and see what my results are to see if what i believe is true :]

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Normal school night: 3-4
Assessment looming: 5-6
Days before a test: At least 6
During HSC: 12-14

I don't think you need to put in that much if you have great teachers who teach the subject well. At my school, physics was taught poorly in some cases... I had to teach most of the course to myself, and as such, it contributed many hours of study to my average week. Ironic though, as it is by far my strongest subject :p

Good luck with the '10 HSC!

damianI

HSC
i worked hard all year, then i didnt need to do like 12hrs a day. the amount of study i did stepped up throughout the year. i started doing a few hours a week then i was doing 10hrs a week for most of yr 12 and around trials etc i stepped up to about 20hrs outside of school time. it was around 3hrs a night.
during the study time before the actualy exams i was only doing about 35hrs a week. i realised that i only needed a uai of 75-80 so there was no point killing myself to get 98. it means nothign once you get into uni so who cares.
i think the biggest thing is to make the study effective. if it felt like it wasn't sinking in i stopped because there was no point in tiring yourself out for something that wasnt even helping.
also, saying that notes should be done beforehand, i did some notes during the year and when i looked back on them i decided to chuck them and i started again. at the start of the year you dont have the same knowledge and you dont have the skills to write the summaries as well but as the year goes on you learn and its easier just to start again. that was the same with my english essays. im pretty much re-wrote them because i read them again and all i could see were flaws.
hehe thats an essay in itself. woops
basically, i dont believe it takes 12hrs a day to learn what you need to learn. make your study effective and do what works and you wont need to spend hours on study.
i guess we'll have to wait and see what my results are to see if what i believe is true :]
omg that is sooooo weird. Are we the same person? All of that applied to me exactly. I also found that taking year 11 really seriously prepares you really well for year 12

absorber

HSC
Don't EVER listen to music when studying. Maybe maths, but that's about all. And for god's sake, when you start a practice paper, make sure you finish it ALL IN THE ONE SESSION.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Don't EVER listen to music when studying. Maybe maths, but that's about all.
It depends on the type music you listen to really. I can understand why people shouldn't listen to rock and pop but classical/instrumental/world/weird and relaxing yoga music CDs are perfectly fine. I like to listen to the Amelie soundtrack by Yann Tiersen when I study.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
Usually didnt study. gettin a uai of 90 odd, i suppose.
But I think doing 2 or 3 hours a night is all you need, depending on you subjects.

Maths you can just understand something and you dont need to do any work on it.
Other subjects, write your own syllabus summaries as you go, maybe 20 minutes a night.

Assessments, work really hard on.
Exams, do mad cram sessions.
Final exams, start study as soon as you finish school for the last term. (minus a weekend to have fun)

I think important in a study regime are consistency and balance. Dont let stuff you need to do build up. Do go out on weekends!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
If you did 4hours of study during the hsc that is pretty crap.. and writing notes should had been done before it....

during the hsc?...
yeah and i kinda lied about the 1-1.5 hrs a night, it was porbably...3-4 nights no study (finished math hw at school usually) and on one nigh i spend 1-2 hrs writing up notes for chem + phys.

take heed that i did NOTHING for english, didn' study/preprepare essays, nothing. heck, i didn't even read all my poems + my prescribed text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)