How is belonging shown in Finding Nemo? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I haven't watched this in about 5 years, so I don't remember much, but from the excerpts I do remember:

- At the beginning, a sense of familial belonging is shown between mother and father, they're touching each other, whilst looking lovingly over their eggs.
- Nemo finds a sense of belonging in school, being with all his school friends.
- Dad goes looking for his son, this sense of affiliation is still present.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't watched this in about 5 years, so I don't remember much, but from the excerpts I do remember:

- At the beginning, a sense of familial belonging is shown between mother and father, they're touching each other, whilst looking lovingly over their eggs.
- Nemo finds a sense of belonging in school, being with all his school friends.
- Dad goes looking for his son, this sense of affiliation is still present.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Don't forget the whole thing where Nemo swims out to touch the 'butt' (hehe) and then gets taken away. Initially Nemo's feelings for his father were of dislike etc... but at the end after being reunited (as a family) a sense of belonging emerges.

blah blah blah... I personally don't like this text, but good luck because it should be easy to analyse for belonging.

speedofsound

HSC
oh god. do NOT do finding nemo as a related text if you want markers to take you seriously.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
How is belonging shown in Finding Nemo?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah?
TBH, if you can't work it out, you shouldn't do it. Find something you personally can actually depict belonging from.

Dora Explorer

HSC
yeah

I suppose some markers frown upon those kind of texts, unless its a film thats kinda complex, meaningful and sophisticated, good for yr 12 students. And its best to stay on their good side, cos once they see "Finding Nemo" on your essay, they might think they're not dealing with a serious student?

sometimes its good to ask: what students would be able to analyse this film? if its juvenile territory, sometimes its best to stay clear:)

but then again you should ask your teacher and double check

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
oh god. do NOT do finding nemo as a related text if you want markers to take you seriously.
Hmmm, I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I also disagree. If you can talk about Finding Nemo in a sophisticated sort of way, with a high level analysis, there is nothing stopping you from hitting the A ranges.

speedofsound

HSC
Hmmm, I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I also disagree. If you can talk about Finding Nemo in a sophisticated sort of way, with a high level analysis, there is nothing stopping you from hitting the A ranges.
true, but like the above said, i think just seeing "Finding Nemo" would put the marker in a bad frame of mind.

peachapplepie

HSC
Even though most people will see an animated film as a related text of lower sophistication for the AOS, Pixar Animation studios fill their story-lines with meaningful character development and morals. Every character by the end is usually enlightened in some way. Finding Nemo, (so long as you analysed it REALLY well) could work. You could probably use these as belonging points:

* The trench scene - dark and foreboding representation of a blockage for Marlin, the fish skeleton on the rock perhaps a symbol for his fears of what happened to Nemo, strengthening the sense of detachment from each other

*The fishing net scene - teamwork/working in unison (positive sense of belonging), although the tropical fish colours of Dory, Marlin and Nemo are vividly contrasting to the dull hues of the harbour and other fish, their actions case them to belong and be accepted into the new place

*You could bring in how people are susceptible to be forced into belonging, ie Nemo in the fish tank - a new and 'fake' representation of his home place (negative) however the people (well, fish) within it accept him

*Gill and Nemo sharing the same 'bum' fin, or whatever they called it

Anyway, they're just a few, probably not in-depth enough to score really well...you'll have to find some pretty complex techniques that represent the AOS, or get a different text. Good luck

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm, I do agree with you to a certain extent, but I also disagree. If you can talk
about Finding Nemo in a sophisticated sort of way, with a high level analysis, there is nothing stopping you from hitting the A ranges.
I agree. I did Ice Age as my related text in HSC 2005 and that's even "lower" than Finding Nemo, probably.

Choose a text with meaning and deep ideas. Even picture books and films for children have deep meanings. But an film targeted at older people, BUT which has little meaning and relies on say slapstick humour would probably NOT be usable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)