How hard will it get? (1 Viewer)

dan2452

HSC
yeah, im doing exention 2 maths as well. I got first in my year (out of the 208 people in my year) in year 10, but the maths in that look SOOO much harder lol

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I found the first few lessons of 4U very hard for me - the fact we were doing 4U was quite overwhelming. I remember wanting to drop 4U as a result - however, it gets much easier later on - even though the topics may get harder (we did Conics and Circular motion and Harder 3U towards the end, and I found those even easier than the Complex numbers and polynomials at the beginning).

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I think it's hard for everyone in the beggining, so don't despair if you don't get it at first. :)

jet

Banned
HSC
I don't quite remember how hard it was at the beginning - I was more nervous about being in year 10 among year 12 students.

I think complex numbers will ease you in. IMO harder 3 unit is the worst - I didn't really have problems with mechanics.

Dx_God

HSC
well it actually depends on ur style of learning and how much ur willing to learn. some people would focus on the main concepts while others just like to remember the method of doing it. if complex was easy to u then either ur really good or u haven't touched hard questions. try terry lee's questions. if u find it average or hard then u definitely need to do more work since i found terry lee to be very easy and yet i still feel that complex is hard. to me the easy topics are graph, integration, volumes, poly, while conics is average and complex, mechanics are hard. the reason that i say so is because the questions of the easy topics are pretty much fixed. conics can be very hard at times and the questions are not necessarily fixed. it can involve alot of geometry thinking+ordinary conics stuff but i don't think bos will put those kind of questions in the hsc so i would put it as average. for complex and mechanics, one question can require deep concepts from many topics. so though u might think u have mastered complex but at times u just can't do the question. eg. a question i did the other day which was actually a geometry like question but u had to use complex to solve it.
i would say don't spend too much time doing 4u math each day as there's no point in doing so (not much any ways. maybe it will help with precision but i would rather spend that time doing something else lol). i would say just go through the concepts many times (mainly just reading the book and reading ur notes. read many times as each time u are likely pick up something u haven't picked up from before) and just do all the sample questions, compare ur solution with the sample answer and another few harder questions from the book. it would take around 1-2 hrs and leaves u with plenty of time to study for other subjects.

The Nomad

HSC
well it actually depends on ur style of learning and how much ur willing to learn. some people would focus on the main concepts while others just like to remember the method of doing it. if complex was easy to u then either ur really good or u haven't touched hard questions. try terry lee's questions. if u find it average or hard then u definitely need to do more work since i found terry lee to be very easy and yet i still feel that complex is hard. to me the easy topics are graph, integration, volumes, poly, while conics is average and complex, mechanics are hard. the reason that i say so is because the questions of the easy topics are pretty much fixed. conics can be very hard at times and the questions are not necessarily fixed. it can involve alot of geometry thinking+ordinary conics stuff but i don't think bos will put those kind of questions in the hsc so i would put it as average. for complex and mechanics, one question can require deep concepts from many topics. so though u might think u have mastered complex but at times u just can't do the question. eg. a question i did the other day which was actually a geometry like question but u had to use complex to solve it.
i would say don't spend too much time doing 4u math each day as there's no point in doing so (not much any ways. maybe it will help with precision but i would rather spend that time doing something else lol). i would say just go through the concepts many times (mainly just reading the book and reading ur notes. read many times as each time u are likely pick up something u haven't picked up from before) and just do all the sample questions, compare ur solution with the sample answer and another few harder questions from the book. it would take around 1-2 hrs and leaves u with plenty of time to study for other subjects.
You found Terry Lee's complex to be very easy and yet you found complex hard? Sounds ironic to be honest...

Dx_God

HSC
You found Terry Lee's complex to be very easy and yet you found complex hard? Sounds ironic to be honest...
lol if u had done the complex questions i've done then u probably (probably, since u might be much better than me.) wouldn't say it is an easy chapter at all. but most complex questions in hsc are pretty easy but some are hard (i think, coz i seriously don't remember which questions are past hsc questions and which ones are given by my tutor. its like kinda all mixed up within my brain). the complex in terry lee is like very straightforward. the question basically tells u what to do and all u need is complex. not complex+aload of stuff from other topics. plus, my tutor don't give sub questions coz he said it restricts ur thinking or something like that. he said that i would be able to think much faster in exam conditions if i followed his training, even if i was really nervous and not focused.
and i forgot to put say that harder 3u is also an easy topic once u have done aload of circle geo questions which i did with my tutor. (i think he gave me aload of questions from china or something especially for circle geo and mechanics)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
We've done Complex and Polynomials so far, Term 4 exam is on Wednesday, then We do Graphs till end of year. We do Conics, Integration, Volumes, Mechanics in that order. Harder 3U is mixed in with the 3U work for 4U kids (I.e. if you're in classes 1-4 during your 3U work you'll get super hard extension questions that are Harder 3U).

0bs3n3

HSC
:S Everyone seems to be on their second or third topic
We're only just finishing complex locus now
Are we seriously that behind?
Merewether aye? Do you know Nabil Shamshuddin? I heard he's finding 4U Math too easy >.<

adriano_negr0

HSC
I beat "Noobil" in all our maths tests earlier this year before I got sick.
Damn getting sick

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Trust me, it only gets harder from here...lol

Also, particularly in Ext2, just because you understand the topic doesn't mean you're set for it. You've got to exercise those application skills for the harder unseen questions.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
lol I like that one.

Anyway, do you know Oscar Kubiak? Is he doing 4U at all?

*I always feel suss saying peoples full names on here*
I don't think he's in Chalmers class so nope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)