How hard or time consuming would be a combined commerce degree? (1 Viewer)

CaptainPrice

HSC
Let's say either Comm/IS or Comm/Eco, would I be for example able to have a part time job alongside the duration of my degree?

Compared to HSC, how time consuming are they?

What would your weekly schedule be like? Is it 5 days a week? On free days/weekends do you usually spend time studying?

Thanks!

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
ehh double degrees aren't that much different than single ones... except its just more different types of content to cover rather than the amount. you'll still do 4 courses per semester.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But obviously it lengthens your degree. As for how much, depends on whether or not subjects you're doing for one will count for both (or be prereqs).

CaptainPrice

HSC
But obviously it lengthens your degree. As for how much, depends on whether or not subjects you're doing for one will count for both (or be prereqs).
Yeah, I think for Comm/IS it's 4 years, and Comm/Eng 5.5 years.
I'm more interested in the day-to-day basis though, I plan to get a part time job whilst in uni so I'm worried whether I'd be able to handle it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah, I think for Comm/IS it's 4 years, and Comm/Eng 5.5 years.
I'm more interested in the day-to-day basis though, I plan to get a part time job whilst in uni so I'm worried whether I'd be able to handle it.
It all depends on how you organise your timetable. I have seen Commerce timetables with just 2 days a week, 3 days is more common. Since IS and Eco have the around same number of contact hours, then you are really just looking at around 12 contact hours a week for Commerce/IS or Commerce/Eco. So again, that means you should be able to fit it in 3 days, and possibly 2.

Your day to day will vary depending on the time slots offered. There isn't a single timetable that you can refer to, unless it's a small university with only a couple of classes available. One day you could start at 9am and finish by 2pm, and another day, you could be starting at 2pm and finishing at 6pm. You could have a 9am to 11am class, then a 3pm to 5pm class etc.

Many students do have part time jobs - whether they do well isn't exactly information available to everyone. It all depends on the individual.

CaptainPrice

HSC
Alright, thank you! I think I probably will be able to fit in a part time job!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Alright, thank you! I think I probably will be able to fit in a part time job!
Just remember the discussion above of fitting things into 2 or 3 days doesn't necessarily mean they are the 2 or 3 days which suit you- i.e. your employer will need to offer some flexibility but you should be able to give them the heads up that your timetable will change each sem (i.e. every half year).

enoilgam

HSC
Compared to HSC, how time consuming are they?
This really depends on the unit itself. Generally speaking, university subjects are harder and faster than HSC subjects - however, with uni, I found that the difficulty of most subjects depends on the lecturer and exams/assignments moreso than the content. Some courses will have really difficult content, but the lecturers may set easy exams which makes the course easy (the opposite can also be the case). Like, for this second year eco subject I did, I understood literally 30% of the content, but the lecturer made the exams so easy that it pretty much made the difficult of the content void. So it really depends, there are so many more variables with uni.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the key thing with uni is you can't rote learn- typically the strengths which people demonstrate/utilise to do well in the HSC, will hold you back in uni as you try to learn and apply yourself in the same way as what you know best. Having lecturers/teachers who don't care how well you do and see every student as 'just another student' really puts the onus on you to discover and learn on your own- even if your lecturer doesn't cover material you need for the exam they may even be writing for you. There's no more fishing for marks (unless you're in law lol).

CaptainPrice

HSC
Thanks so much for the awesome responses guys! Definitely helped me a ton! :D

amandada

HSC
N/A
Double degree makes no difference on the workload. It just extends your time in uni.

Also if you're planning to do Commerce at UNSW, prepare to have a lot of free time on your hands. HSC is probably 2x as hard.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The hardest part of uni are the assignments. Tests and stuff are a breeze. Dame. Stuck with infs 4 lyf. All like 2.5-3k words. *cries*

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Double degree makes no difference on the workload. It just extends your time in uni.

Also if you're planning to do Commerce at UNSW, prepare to have a lot of free time on your hands. HSC is probably 2x as hard.
I found that too. A lot of cadets manage to do 3 (or even 4) subjects whilst working FT>

amandada

HSC
N/A
I found that too. A lot of cadets manage to do 3 (or even 4) subjects whilst working FT>
i forget how good i have it until i read some of the hsc threads about burning out, stress, etc. that's is just so different to what my uni life is like now.

though 4 subjects + full time work would probably kill me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)