How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

helper

HSC
N/A
So you bludged for the assessment and then worked hard at the end. The ranking of the school isn't going to hlp with tha either

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I really hope the ranks of the school doesn't affect your hsc mark because that will be kinda unfair..

dp624

HSC
Not the school ranks, but the cohort. Unless you're ranked 1st in every subject you're going to care about your school

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
a question whats external and internal marks?
External marks are the marks you get for the HSC exam - it is externally set and counts for 50% of the final mark.

Internal marks are the marks that are sent to the BOS as a result of the assessment tasks done at school as these are internally set and marked (even if your school purchases Trial exams from CSSA or Independent they are still seen as internal as they are internally marked by your school not by the BOS markers).

itszen

HSC
External marks are the marks you get for the HSC exam - it is externally set and counts for 50% of the final mark.

Internal marks are the marks that are sent to the BOS as a result of the assessment tasks done at school as these are internally set and marked (even if your school purchases Trial exams from CSSA or Independent they are still seen as internal as they are internally marked by your school not by the BOS markers).
thanks ! so external is ONLY the hsc? Not assignments or anything?

sam5

HSC
Not the school ranks, but the cohort. Unless you're ranked 1st in every subject you're going to care about your school
see im coming first in 3 of my subjects (bio, chem, adv eng) but i was just beaten in my other 3 subjects (by 2, 4 and 6 marks in legal, pe and 2u maths).

Now all my shit classmates r gonna drag me down!

Because im cuming second, and because im not far behind, will i be dragged down too much? (classmates reallllly shit)

Btw Cem, what subject do u teach? (u dont have to tell me if u dont wanna)

Sammy2011

HSC
Wait, so what is the cohort? Is it your fellow schoolmates in your year in your school, or is it the total amount of students in your year across the state/country?

Does this mean, with my school ranked in the 400's, that if I go well in both external and internal exams, that my ATAR will be boosted because of the patheticness of my school? Or will it be damaged from the rest of the idiots in my year?

If anything, I think people who manage to go well in a really bad school should be rewarded, not penalised.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Cohort = your class.

If you top the class in school with an assessment (school) mark of 52%, and then the person ranked 9th in your class gets 100 in the HSC exam, while you get 88 - you get the 100 because you are ranked 1st.

So therefore, everything weighs on your rank, and the HSC exam results for your class.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
see im coming first in 3 of my subjects (bio, chem, adv eng) but i was just beaten in my other 3 subjects (by 2, 4 and 6 marks in legal, pe and 2u maths).

Now all my shit classmates r gonna drag me down!

Because im cuming second, and because im not far behind, will i be dragged down too much? (classmates reallllly shit)

Btw Cem, what subject do u teach? (u dont have to tell me if u dont wanna)
I teach Modern, Ancient and Extension History and have marked Modern for many years, as well as been on the judging panel for a couple of years when they first started that process.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Cohort = your class.

If you top the class in school with an assessment (school) mark of 52%, and then the person ranked 9th in your class gets 100 in the HSC exam, while you get 88 - you get the 100 because you are ranked 1st.

So therefore, everything weighs on your rank, and the HSC exam results for your class.

To make your example clearer - the student who came first would get 100 for their assessment mark but keep the 88 as their exam mark so the final HSC mark would be 94 - the average of those two marks.

helper

HSC
N/A
And in the exam, what was the top mark?

What has been said is what occurs according to BOS.
What was:
Top Exam Mark at School
Your moderated assessment mark

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Top Mark is the one which is the basis for the distribution of HSC marks for your class, it is the highest mark achieved in the cohort.

lukasheights

HSC
I've always wondered about this myself.

My ranks are pretty good at my school, but overall, we come each year in the mid 300's for the state.

My ranks for each course are:
Music 1: 1/12
General Maths: 2/55
English Extension 1: 2/12
English Advanced: 4/65
Economics: 4/7
English Extension 2: 7/9
Ancient History: 3/30

So, this should probably get me high 80s perhaps for my ATAR should I perform externally.

But, is this necessarily the case?
Because of my school, will I be getting low 80s or 70s instead? idk. Some people are convinced.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've always wondered about this myself.

My ranks are pretty good at my school, but overall, we come each year in the mid 300's for the state.

My ranks for each course are:
Music 1: 1/12
General Maths: 2/55
English Extension 1: 2/12
English Advanced: 4/65
Economics: 4/7
English Extension 2: 7/9
Ancient History: 3/30

So, this should probably get me high 80s perhaps for my ATAR should I perform externally.

But, is this necessarily the case?
Because of my school, will I be getting low 80s or 70s instead? idk. Some people are convinced.
You're probably looking at mid to high 80s, possibly in the 90s.

Kajed

HSC
I haven't read thread and I have no time for in depth answer so here is the most basic example I can think of -

Student 1 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam and is in some shitty outback country bogan school.

Student 2 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam but is in James Ruse.

Student 2 will be ranked higher. That is why the HSC is such a flawed fucking terribad system.

EDIT: Oh, and I heard that if your HSC marks differ wildly (wildly as in massive difference) from your school rank, the BOS will ignore your school ranking and scale you to JUST your HSC marks in regards to your ATAR. This is just what I've heard though, not sure.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I haven't read thread and I have no time for in depth answer so here is the most basic example I can think of -

Student 1 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam and is in some shitty outback country bogan school.

Student 2 gets 100% in every single school exam and every HSC exam but is in James Ruse.

Student 2 will be ranked higher. That is why the HSC is such a flawed fucking terribad system.

EDIT: Oh, and I heard that if your HSC marks differ wildly (wildly as in massive difference) from your school rank, the BOS will ignore your school ranking and scale you to JUST your HSC marks in regards to your ATAR. This is just what I've heard though, not sure.
Well that is wrong, actually. Student 2 will be ranked higher if and only if Student 2's external HSC mark is higher than Student 1's (assuming that both students are ranked first in their class).

And the other thing is wrong because BOS doesn't do scaling. They may moderate the mark to something else, but that is only in very special circumstances - for full info, see the BOS page on moderation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)