hardworking Vs. intelligence (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i have a feeling you may be understating the amount of work you did, you cant seriously be expecting a 99+ ATAR with minimal work.

intelligence is a help but it will not necessarily correlate to a 99+ ATAR, thats what i reckon. hard work is integral to a high ATAR and this is how i've screwed myself over :(
When i said minimal work, I meant i only did the minimal amount of work required for me to scrap 99+, which is still less than the other girl did XD

100% agreed.

If you got 99+ ATAR, you must have had a good combination of luck, work and intelligence.
I reckon if you get 99.50+ you'd need "a good combination of luck, work and intelligence." There's really no really luck required to get 99-99.50 if you are intelligent and work hard enough.

But meh, opinions are all relative anyway lol

sinophile

HSC
N/A
'Humans are a unique animal in that their destiny is not entirely determined by their genetics and environment/luck, but largely by the application of their willpower to overcome the limitations of those two.'

-me

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
'Humans are a unique animal in that their destiny is not entirely determined by their genetics and environment/luck, but largely by the application of their willpower to overcome the limitations of those two.'

-me
That's a really nice quote ^^

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Hard work can compensate for a certain lack of intelligence (not to say completely compensates)
i.e. hard work, imo, is more valuable than raw intelligence, within limits of course.

I think I worked just about the right amount. No regrets here...but I may be speaking too soon, lol.

Last edited:

Monsterman

HSC
Its all memory.
Write notes for subjects and remember it all = ace all subjects

bored of sc

HSC
Its all memory.
Write notes for subjects and remember it all = ace all subjects
I disagree. Studies of Religion Section 3 essay questions were way out of left field. And for all the Maths courses that just doesn't apply (except remembering formulae). Not to mention some english questions.

miu_miu0902

HSC
intelligence and hard all count but just because someone appears to study much more than others doesnt mean that they always deserve to come first. unfortunately these "hardworking" people believe that they are utter slaves to their VCE/HSC and feel that they deserve rank one or dux. but its in how and what they study.
we all get fooled by the nerd in the library who is "reading" calculator methods at lunch time. the key is:
STUDY SMART NOT HARD.
it isnt very smart to study probability before your calculus SAC. but if someone were scribbling calculations down we would probably assume they were "so smart, always studying''. maybe thats why person 1 only got 77% on their chem test. because maybe they just didnt study the right stuff.
chance stills plays a part!

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Lots of people in this thread say that intelligence eclipses hard work. They state that in their own experiences at school, students who are intelligent ended up performing better than those who did hard work.

I'd like to contest all these opinions. I ask you to compare the number of past papers an 'intelligent' student and a 'hard working' student did for a particular subject. You could even use yourself as a comparison. Its very simple. Go find an 'intelligent student', ask them the number of past papers they did on MSN or Facebook or whatever, and do the same to a 'hard-working' student.

I reckon that these so-called intelligent students have actually done more practice than the hard-workers. They probably believe they did little practice, don't notice they actually do more work than the hard-workers or the amount of practice they do is less obvious. In other words, those 'intelligent' students only seem to work less than 'hard-workers'.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Lots of people in this thread say that intelligence eclipses hard work. They state that in their own experiences at school, students who are intelligent ended up performing better than those who did hard work.

I'd like to contest all these opinions. I ask you to compare the number of past papers an 'intelligent' student and a 'hard working' student did for a particular subject. You could even use yourself as a comparison. Its very simple. Go find an 'intelligent student', ask them the number of past papers they did on MSN or Facebook or whatever, and do the same to a 'hard-working' student.

I reckon that these so-called intelligent students have actually done more practice than the hard-workers. They probably believe they did little practice, don't notice they actually do more work than the hard-workers or the amount of practice they do is less obvious. In other words, those 'intelligent' students only seem to work less than 'hard-workers'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)