hardworking Vs. intelligence (1 Viewer)

Blaz-357

HSC
I rkn that hardworking helps but natural intellectual abilities helps ALOT. For example at my school, the person coming 2nd in maths, is intellectually beta then me, but i work hard at it, and he just wastes his time doing w/e he does, and i beat him =D but i dunno...my school gave the AAA scholarship to he person who worked the hardest...T_T not the smartest...groan lolz but then..i dunno =]

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Wow, so many captain obvious cliches in this thread.

Anyway, I don't believe it when people brag about getting excellent results in exams at senior level with barely any study (unless natural intelligence comes complete with photographic memory), either they are,

a) being flippant so they don't look like a giant nerd - natural intelligence is more socially acceptable than studying loads
b) being secretive about what they do at home for reasons known only to them :mad1:

I think all talented/intelligent people work at it. Some may get away will a little less work than others but that's more to do with quality of study techniques/ good teachers/ good environment/ etc... not 'natural intelligence'. Only someone who works hard can learn all their material properly for their HSC. Intelligence would affect how easily you learn it but a hardworking person could gain an understanding of concepts/ facts to the extent that HSC requires and that would be more than enough.

Note, my opinion applies only in the context of HSC.

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
yes please. cramming techniques? :]
Cramming Techniques:

Summarise everything into an acronym. Write it out. Then cover it up and try to write the acronym out again. In your head, work out what each letter stands for. Do this about 5 times for each one (per hour).

Find any exam questions and make a plan of how you would answer them

Make stories with the acronyms (if necessary)

Read over acronyms before you sleep.

If you don't like acronyms, but have walls of text: continually summarise the passage, by picking out key words that will trigger the rest of it

Talk to yourself - if you're trying to learn a 200 word paragraph, the specific wording shouldn't be memorised, but rather the flow of ideas.
(Like in English, the actual words don't matter, so if I'm trying to memorise a paragraph, I'll probably have 90% of the same wording, but can fudge the rest and still send the same point across)

Organise the necessary information into list form, and revise it in the last precious hour/minutes before the exam, going over what the acronyms stand for.

Think of something unique about the topic. eg in legal, the case of the Wonderland Club will always be remembered as the paedophile case

Do not drink caffeine, or anything other than water. No pills to stay awake. To stay up late and be fresh the next day, continually wash your face with cold water, and ensure your eyes do not go dry and remain cool. (eye drops or an ice pack. If necessary, chop cucumber slices and put on the eyes).

Go to sleep when your eyes are energised and not about to droop. I cannot stress this enough. If you go to sleep with tired eyes, you will wake with tired eyes. Wash face with cold water before sleeping.

Only take 15 minute power naps. No more, no less. Can only have about 2 in a night.

Always have at least 2h sleep in preparation.

PS. Will keep adding to this.

Last edited:

tian1chen

HSC
life is about the hand you have been dealt, how you play that hand is up to you.
From a morally point of view person1, but you know i have see people like person 2 and they are truly amazing:chainsaw::bomb:.

HSC
A retard will beat a genius with hard work. Intelligence is not something we could change, but the amount of work we put in are. Also U cant make it through any of the hsc course with intelligence alone....
+1

and personally i respect people who work harder than those who tend to showoff their intellegence too much.

Rosalily

HSC
An intelligent person will always beat a hardworking person. An intelligent person lazy or not is intelligent enough to realise that efficient study is far better than cramming. M.r Hardworker could be doing a bazillion hours of un-effective study while Mr. Smart is doing only a fraction of Mr. Hardworker load but much more efficient study. Mr. Smart will always come out ontop.
trust me this is not true. Some of the smarter people cruise through junior school and then have no idea what to do when the going gets tough so they just give up. I've seen it happen many times. On the other hand, those who've had to work hard their whole life have the upper hand when it comes to studying for the hsc.

silverpen

HSC
trust me this is not true. Some of the smarter people cruise through junior school and then have no idea what to do when the going gets tough so they just give up. I've seen it happen many times. On the other hand, those who've had to work hard their whole life have the upper hand when it comes to studying for the hsc.
you couldn't be more right....i cruised through everything so easily .... unfortunately this carried on into senior years and now im paying the price. to give u an idea i think i could have got marks around our dux if i'd tried.... i know that sounds extremely unmodest but i think most people have an idea of how much potential they have and how much of it they use

Rosalily

HSC
How can you not be able to perceive emotion? It's a natural human trait.
Wow, maybe you should get your EQ checked out, i think it'd be on the lower end of the scale. Some people are just bad at reading people and relating to them. It's a real problem that makes many feel like outsiders wherever they go. So how bout you stop rubbing it in this poor guys face. Some things don't come naturally to everyone.

Got2Kno91

HSC
I think people to a significant extent can 'work' on their intelligence. Sure, natural intelligence from birth does help ALOT (and it should be a MORTAL SIN to waste it), but if you constantly exercise your mind i think you'll find a person can become 'smarter.'

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
well tbh if you dont realise that you shud be workin hard in ur HSC then i dun reckon ur a person of much intelligence
...sure you have the POTENTIAL but yea otherwise ur just a mediocre student

xD

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
My very first post on here^^
Well, I have always been curious about which quality people value more, hardworking, or intelligence?
Consider this scenario.
The dux of my school this year has been really tough competition. Person 1, does Biology, Adv English, Dance, IPT& Chemistry. Person 2, does Physics, Chemistry, 4U maths, and Adv English.
Weird, I was expecting a reversal of roles after looking at their subject choices.

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
Weird, I was expecting a reversal of roles after looking at their subject choices.
+1

It was weird at my school all the naturally talented people challenging for dux were working so hard as well. I know a friend of mine had back spasms and had to go to doctor from sitting down so long. She had to be like forced to leave the house, I think she must of been doing upwards of 14 hours.

I got through school doing well up till senior school with very little work involved. I relied heavily on intelligence to get me that far. In senior school it is obvious that the hard workers are going to overtake you. I think that's what is weird about this scenario... there is no justice.

Dumbledore

HSC
just my small input, most of the top people on our maths/science side are naturally smart while most of the top people on our english/history side are hardworkers.

this can sort of make sense as maths and science is more about grasping and applying concepts which many people can be good at without work while in english and history a lot of reading and practice is inevitable to succeed.

i'm not saying this is purely right, but in my year at least it tends to fall this way.

absorber

HSC
just my small input, most of the top people on our maths/science side are naturally smart while most of the top people on our english/history side are hardworkers.

this can sort of make sense as maths and science is more about grasping and applying concepts which many people can be good at without work while in english and history a lot of reading and practice is inevitable to succeed.

i'm not saying this is purely right, but in my year at least it tends to fall this way.
At my school it's the reverse, heh. you can bullshit all you want in an essay and get good marks, but in sciences and maths you have to learn the stuff well to do it and get good marks

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Hard work eclipses intelligence. Always, always, always.

edit: (but smart work >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hard work)

Last edited:

adriano_negr0

HSC
If EQ is emotional quotient which i think it is I know thats a tad low, I have trouble reading/ relating to people, my mind is very mathematical, can never tell how someone else is feeling unless its extremely obvious (e.g, they are crying). Anyway, I was using it as an example not bragging somebody said that inteligence doesn't exist!

No I assumed you were naturally blonde, I also don't care about stupid things like affect/effect + typing without really thinking
yer i get that everythings black and white and mathematical mind to. Its frustrating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)