Going to be short of 91 atar? (1 Viewer)

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys! my HSC is this year and I've used many atar calculators and it says I'm going to be 2 - 3 atar off from my course which is civil engineering.

It says i would get 89ish but I think I'm being abit too lenient on a few subjects.

Just asking you guys if I'm 1 - 2 ATAR off my course, does that mean i cannot get in ? i know all about the bonus points but it still worries me :(

Can I still apply for the course with an atar lower than the cut-off and have chances of getting in ?

Gujju

HSC
last one of my mates scored 91 and got into b comm at unsw which has cutoff ~95-96....so u can apply although i dont know he got any bonus points or not

EDIT- last year*

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You can, but there's no guarantees if you don't get the required marks.

enoilgam

HSC
The cut offs change from year to year, so there is no guarantee even if you get the mark.

enoilgam

HSC
Dam this scares me even more..

It was a UNSW 2013 cutoff's though? hmm.
From what I have seen and heard, it is rare for the cutoff to rise (usually it happens in extremely competitive degrees like law at USyd or UNSW). Also, the cutoffs are often times inflated.

M

MichelleV

Depending on the university your looking at, you may be eligible for bonus points for some subjects too.

Some entry marks go up, some go down.

If in doubt, keep working hard, and hopefully you'll do well enough that you underestimate yourself and get in :)

samthebear

HSC
if you can get 89 you'll definitely be able to get some extra points from the bonus points. go google "UNSW bonus ATAR points" or something like that and it should take you to a UNSW page with all that information. Try to get 90 at least if possible to get a better chance at getting in =]

Good luck.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
UNSW cut offs are inflated because of all the bonus points (max=5)

So worry about that after you get your ATAR since theres no point now. Do you best and thats all you can ask for.

Anyways if your really want to do ENG, you could always go to other UNIs. UNSW is overrated.

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
oh really? i heard the internship system is better at UNSW and you get better recommendations?

anyways thanks for all the info guys ! :)

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
oh really? i heard the internship system is better at UNSW and you get better recommendations?

anyways thanks for all the info guys ! :)
Internship system? (what do you mean by this?)

If your referring to COOP, if you think you wont be able to achieve the marks for UNSW ENG, then its highly probably you wont get the marks for the coop program unless you have extracurricular, community and leadership experiences etc.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What have you been inputting into the ATAR calculator? Raw marks?

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
1 or 2 Atar off definitely can get you a spot, even if not in the main round, the later rounds can get you in, unless its those rigged course like commerce.

just a side note my friend got into unsw engineering last year with 83.5 and another whom got an atar of 50 got into uws business even though they claim to give a max of 10bonus point.

zeebobDD

HSC
mate don't forget about the bonus points, unsw does offer for getting good results in maths and physics etc, so you can make it:)

iampeterr

King
HSC
Uni Grad
What have you been inputting into the ATAR calculator? Raw marks?
Yeah my raw marks
mx2: 71
mx1: 85
Physics:78
Chem:71
Eng STD: 81

mate don't forget about the bonus points, unsw does offer for getting good results in maths and physics etc, so you can make it
oh thanks for the ego boost :)

Internship system? (what do you mean by this?)
The internship at UNSW works differently then uts? :S something like that .. and i think you finish a year quicker? i maybe wrong..

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
The internship at UNSW works differently then uts? :S something like that .. and i think you finish a year quicker? i maybe wrong..
I dont think UNSW offers an inbuilt internship program. w/o that there both 4 years

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah my raw marks
mx2: 71
mx1: 85
Physics:78
Chem:71
Eng STD: 81
Ah, you should be putting in moderated marks, ie. marks which have been altered according to relative difficulty.

A 71 in your school may be a 90 in another school, which may be a 60 in another. So, a standard needs to be applied to ensure one school doesn't have very easy exams being directly compared to a school with harder exams.

Put in marks you believe you will get in the HSC. Your school rank "might" give some indication as to the exam difficulty, or, if you know how many band 6's there were last year then you can work out if your mark would be in those top ranges.

But I would say if you got those as your raw marks in the HSC, you'd be sitting on 95+ ATAR.

plasticities

HSC
I'm confused as to what worries you with the bonus points? If you do the subjects that are applicable and get the marks you should get up to 5 which will put you over the cut-off (assuming it doesn't change). I got in to advanced science with a main round offer, which was 95 with a 91.15 because the 5 bonus points got me over the top. And honestly, even if your ATAR is lower, apply anyway, since the whole point of preferences is to put your most desired course at number 1. If you don't, you'll never know if you would have got in. Just try to improve as much as you can and have a back up plan in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)