• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Goals4>yR12< (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
If english is your worst subject then isn't it logical to work the hardest on it? It has the biggest room for improvement.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I feel least motivated for working on english mainly because i'm poor at it. I just don't have the dedication to work at it like i do for maths.

P

pLuvia

Riviet said:
I feel least motivated for working on english mainly because i'm poor at it. I just don't have the dedication to work at it like i do for maths.
hahaha same same

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
klaw said:
If english is your worst subject then isn't it logical to work the hardest on it? It has the biggest room for improvement.
i agree. If you hate english, bear the price! You were forced to do it by the Board of Studies.
You also have to take care of your other 4+ units of other subjects. But i would've thought that 4u maths is much harder than english even for the average 4u student.

Always

HSC
klaw said:
I feel so lost when studying for english, and so unprepared walking into the exam room. How does one study for english besides read texts over and over? Ultimately, you never know what the essay question will be and it always throws me off track. Thus, I feel as though I'm stuck in a rut for english and there's little more I can do to improve.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Hmm my main goal for the HSC is to get into ArtExpress.
Perhaps Showcase too for Ext 2
Oh of course get lovely lovely marks in all the rest of my subjects. Yay.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Always said:
How does one study for english besides read texts over and over? Ultimately, you never know what the essay question will be and it always throws me off track. Thus, I feel as though I'm stuck in a rut for english and there's little more I can do to improve.
I would prepare for an english essay by knowing all the main techniques used in the texts studied, memorise as many quotes that relate to the techniques, and have a good idea of what to write when answering the question. The most well prepared students like to memorise essays but this is not necessary if you know the material in your texts well.

Always

HSC
Riviet said:
I would prepare for an english essay by knowing all the main techniques used in the texts studied, memorise as many quotes that relate to the techniques, and have a good idea of what to write when answering the question. The most well prepared students like to memorise essays but this is not necessary if you know the material in your texts well.
When I write under exam conditions I freeze, no matter how well I know my texts. My thoughts and ideas aren't reflected in my writing and my essays just become one big mess. I think it's partly nerves and partly because I suck at english. :D

I'm contemplating dropping down to standard. Does anyone here do standard english?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Always said:
When I write under exam conditions I freeze, no matter how well I know my texts. My thoughts and ideas aren't reflected in my writing and my essays just become one big mess. I think it's partly nerves and partly because I suck at english. :D

I'm contemplating dropping down to standard. Does anyone here do standard english?

if u want to improve english my suggestion is to just write and write and write. also to increase your vocab, memorise all the techniques being used to convey the meaning, important quotes and past essays because a lot of them might fit into the question being asked.

yeah i do standard, i was considering to go up to advance tho, but i find the content in standard a lot more interesting. plus they pretty much scale the same besides the fact that it is really hard to get band 6 in standard.

i used the word standard so many times in that post lol

kerfuffle

HSC
I want to pass Maths Extension 1. I haven't passed an exam yet. I ought to drop it, but I want to keep it for a term at least . . . . I can decide over summer whether I want to keep it or not.
A UAI of 98 would be nice . . . I want to do Communications and Media at Sydney University . . .

Always

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yeah i do standard, i was considering to go up to advance tho, but i find the content in standard a lot more interesting. plus they pretty much scale the same besides the fact that it is really hard to get band 6 in standard.
The only reason I'm staying in advanced is because of the Emma/Clueless module. Pretty stupid reason, really.

kerfuffle said:
I want to pass Maths Extension 1. I haven't passed an exam yet. I ought to drop it, but I want to keep it for a term at least . . . . I can decide over summer whether I want to keep it or not.
A UAI of 98 would be nice . . . I want to do Communications and Media at Sydney University . . .
I want to drop it as well. I don't think it will even count for me and I'm just going to be wasting my time. How many units do you do?

tennille

HSC
Always said:
I want to drop it as well. I don't think it will even count for me and I'm just going to be wasting my time. How many units do you do?
I though maths extension 1 wouldn't count for me considering that most of my raw marks were in the 50s and 60s (my trial mark was in the low 70s). Even for the exam, I think I only got in the 60s at the most (I didn't even bother with question 7). But I got scaled up to the 80s and it ended up going towards my UAI.

kerfuffle

HSC
Always said:
The only reason I'm staying in advanced is because of the Emma/Clueless module. Pretty stupid reason, really.

I do 12 units.
*laughs* You're not the only one with a stupid reason for staying in a class. I kept English Extension 1 (which I passed - just) so I could watch Pride and Prejudice.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
if u want to improve english my suggestion is to just write and write and write.
Yeah, this is probably the best way to work on english, I been writing lots of practice essays and handing them into my teacher to mark and hand back. The motto "practice makes perfect" is the formula to success for english and also other subjects such as maths.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
English Extension is a good subject to study to improve english. In ex1, you can get your practice there.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I hope to pass my first 4u maths assessment on wednesday... :cool:

Bookie

Banned
HSC
You are all clearly Asian.

Having said that, I hear that the Advanced exam has a creative writing section. My analytical skills suck ass [pun intended], but I reckon I'll beast the creatie writing. How hard could it possibly be to get a Band 6? That was a stupid rhetorical question and yes I know it is in fact quite hard to get a band 6

klaw

HSC
Always said:

I remember when I was doing 3U prelim I used to hate it. I got 11.6% for my first assessment. Then gradually I started to understand it, and I don't mind it at all now :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)