english compulsary in uni? (1 Viewer)

eric sparkles

HSC
Hey guys, I’m really at a sort of crisis point here, I’m doing English and I dunno, it is a relatively crazy for me, I’m finding it very subjective and the sort of mind I’m approaching these texts is a bit taxing for me, haha, did anyone experience this? I’m looking at 2001 Odyssey and I’m thinking, ‘That floating pen isn’t really a metaphor, man isn’t really losing its control of wisdom in technological progressment.’. It’s taxing making Ridley Scott look like a philosophy major. And I dunno, I look at my friends, who found their aptitude in the math/science subjects and they love life. Their answers are right in front of them, they study, and they know they’re one step closer to that +99, whereas English I sorta find that the route to success can be more elusive, the answer by English’s nature is subjective. I'm putting in all my hours in english, my writings I don't think are at that 1st level, whereas I literally do no work in my other subjects, and I do relatively well. Cliche perhaps, but true.

I’m coming 1/74 in bio in a school ranked 262 http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/HscTopAchieverByQty.aspx and I really love bio, but I’m not sure if that can indicate my aptitude for science; I don’t do chemistry or physics and I only do general math. I got told that bridging subjects are impossible but I think I will need to go through them to understand the concepts taught at anything med in uni, which is what I’m hoping to do now; though I realise that med is probably math/chem intensive, I think that focusing on that sort of 'numbers/memory?' mindframe I can excel. I’m getting polemic responses from my friends, some saying English is compulsory in uni across all degrees, others saying it isn’t even compulsory in psychiatry. I am hopefully, willing to work, I want to be competitive, but I do wish I did a grade science intensive, will uni allow me to do this and what atar should I be looking at to get into a med/medpathway-thing at a uni in nsw preferably. Thankyou in advance for the help!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, English is compulsory at all Australian universities because your lectures and tutors will lecture and tutor in English, and you will be expected to converse back and write answers in English for university assessments - unless you're in a language class.

And if you want to get into med, well... you have to get like high 90s at the very least.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
What is the question? No, 'English' as a subject is not compulsory.

Using written and spoken English certainly is though. If you can't do that well (i.e. many international students) then you will fail. Your written English above is a bit long winded although fine, far better than many students (especially those with it as a second language).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
English as a subject isn't compulsory.

And as solooooooo said, in terms of written and spoken English, yours is fine.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The stuff you do for HSC English has very little relevance to the real world in terms of careers and tertiary studies. But not knowing some of those texts will make you appear rather uncultured in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
The stuff you do for HSC English has very little relevance to the real world in terms of careers and tertiary studies. But not knowing some of those texts will make you appear rather uncultured in the future.
This. If you don't know who (say) Shakespeare is and at least one of his writings, then I'd say you would get quite a few raised eyebrows.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The number of clients and partners who have referenced Shakespeare in everyday conversation and meetings always amazes me- and you'd look rather stupid if you can't think of anything to reply with. Even whilst I'm working in NY I've heard nunerous references to some of the less mainstream characters and soliloquies, typically followed by a "did you study any Shakespeare in Australia?".

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The number of clients and partners who have referenced Shakespeare in everyday conversation and meetings always amazes me- and you'd look rather stupid if you can't think of anything to reply with. Even whilst I'm working in NY I've heard nunerous references to some of the less mainstream characters and soliloquies, typically followed by a "did you study any Shakespeare in Australia?".

Yes, Shakespeare is ridiculous broad in its scope: culturally, etymologically etc. It's required knowledge in some ways.

funnytomato

HSC
Hey guys, I’m really at a sort of crisis point here, I’m doing English and I dunno, it is a relatively crazy for me, I’m finding it very subjective and the sort of mind I’m approaching these texts is a bit taxing for me, haha, did anyone experience this? I’m looking at 2001 Odyssey and I’m thinking, ‘That floating pen isn’t really a metaphor, man isn’t really losing its control of wisdom in technological progressment.’. It’s taxing making Ridley Scott look like a philosophy major. And I dunno, I look at my friends, who found their aptitude in the math/science subjects and they love life. Their answers are right in front of them, they study, and they know they’re one step closer to that +99, whereas English I sorta find that the route to success can be more elusive, the answer by English’s nature is subjective. I'm putting in all my hours in english, my writings I don't think are at that 1st level, whereas I literally do no work in my other subjects, and I do relatively well. Cliche perhaps, but true.

I’m coming 1/74 in bio in a school ranked 262 http://bettereducation.com.au/Results/HscTopAchieverByQty.aspx and I really love bio, but I’m not sure if that can indicate my aptitude for science; I don’t do chemistry or physics and I only do general math. I got told that bridging subjects are impossible but I think I will need to go through them to understand the concepts taught at anything med in uni, which is what I’m hoping to do now; though I realise that med is probably math/chem intensive, I think that focusing on that sort of 'numbers/memory?' mindframe I can excel. I’m getting polemic responses from my friends, some saying English is compulsory in uni across all degrees, others saying it isn’t even compulsory in psychiatry. I am hopefully, willing to work, I want to be competitive, but I do wish I did a grade science intensive, will uni allow me to do this and what atar should I be looking at to get into a med/medpathway-thing at a uni in nsw preferably. Thankyou in advance for the help!
my impression is that med is more relevant to chem and bio

funnytomato

HSC
ATAR-wise, it would be a good strategy for you to improve your weakest subject

However, if you do find the effort you put into english not correlating with the improvement of your marks, then prioritise other subjects you'll need to improve

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC

Hello Eric. I think you'll find our school is ranked around 150 if you went to the overall rankings........

Well, as has already been said, you have to do English for the HSC, but unless you're doing something like an Arts degree majoring in English Studies, I'd imagine that all of that "floating pen metaphor" stuff has little or no relevance to university courses. Certainly not in maths/science based degrees like medicine. Your writing skills are fine, your English Extension 2 blogs were well expressed if not a bit controversial, so I think you're all good in that area.

Nevertheless, though you may see HSC English as a redundant philosophical exercise, it still helps in developing logical thinking skills which I think would be necessary in any type of higher education. It may not be the most interesting way of developing these skills, but it works all the same. That is what you'll need for university.

Doing four units of English would be very tedious if you didn't feel passionate about the subject, but keep persisting, it will be over in 7 months. Medicine is relatively competitive so if your ATAR inhibits you from getting in you can always transfer later on.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The challenge with four units of English though is that it isn't necessarily a subject where hard work will yield good results. It's not a subject where you can rote learn or just put hours and hours of practice in to get a better outcome. It really does require passion or at least a strong interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)