English Classes - Eep! (1 Viewer)

havoc-x

HSC
What are your English classes like?

I do Advanced English and for the past 4 months I've been having doubts regarding my class.. English is one of my best subjects, and I really want to do well in it. I've considered changing classes but not if I have nothing to compare my class at the moment against - just to end up in a similar class. That and the fact that it's fair late in the year, I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

It may just be my teachers teaching style, but I know my friends English classes are similar - but they do Standard.

Basically my class consists of oral learning - my teacher talking and talking but often getting sidetracked.. I don't believe we really focus on the set topic we should be studying. I've barely written anything this year, we occassionaly receive handouts but we never really go over them.

So, what are your classes like? Do you have much written work, is it laid back or full on? Also, does anyone have an English tutor? And, is it worth it?

bored of sc

HSC
For me, english is a subject where the teacher does a bit of work but we are EXPECTED to do heaps :(.

jellybelly59

HSC
There is a lot of discussion and a lot of hand outs. We pretty much read the handouts at home and then share our answers with the class. She occasionally writes on the board but when she does the notes she gives us are quite extensive and she expects us to utilise the information we have into our own answer. Most of the writing tasks are also homework too such as comprehension questions regarding the text (usu. each question is around half a pg each and sometimes up to 4 questions)... In our class our teacher gives us her answers and then we compare it to our own. By handouts i mean critical essays and our prescribed texts. So we are expected to do a lot both in class and out of class (well that's what i think LOL :D). Overall i have to say in class it is more of an oral orientated learning style but that is cause she expects us to finish all our written work at home to prepare for discussion the next lesson.

i used to have an english tutor... until i found that english tutors at colleges really suck when it comes to senior work.. It's really hard for them to focus on just ur work and since english varies between each school and class it's hard for them and you. I'm trying to find a good english private tutor that's not too far but so far i have been unsuccessful :(

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher talks too complicated and she gives heaps of handouts.

The Hippy

HSC
My teacher is a stupid and highly unprofessional piece of crap, ex- psychologist (uws probably.... and he didnt even finish his degree in psychology so technically he isnt a psychologist although he claims to be) who rambles on about irrelevant topics and gives us pointless rubbish work to complete (and a lot of it) he mumbles questions and most of the class cant even comprehend what he is saying. I used to love english, now its just the epitome of shit. I've had enough but i wont move down purely based on the fact that i want to stay there and get on his nerves.

angel.cries

HSC
My teacher sucks... he is a COW!. he has abosolutely no passion for teaching whatsoever. ninety percent of the time he doesn't teach and reads a books in his little corner.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Awesome teacher, awesome class for English.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Aerath said:
Awesome teacher, awesome class for English.
Same. :)

It's pretty laid back but full on at the same time in that you actually do work but you enjoy it (most of the time). But yeah, awesome teacher works wonders. :uhhuh:

LukeGriffiths88

HSC
When I did the HSC, I took the subjects english adv., ext1 and ext2. In all of these classes it was the teacher doing a lot of talking, the students becoming involved in the discussion and receiving handouts. English at HSC level is all about expressing your ideas and what the texts you study mean for YOU. The teacher should provide you with basic ideas, however, it is up to you to formulate your own argument and back it up with relevant citations from the texts.

I think you are stressing too much, if you put in the work, you should achieve your very best. An english tutor may be a good idea, just to run your ideas past. I did have a really intelligent teacher who put her everything into her classes - it made things so much easier, so I do feel for you.

Dont get too bogged down though. GOOD LUCK!

LUKE GRIFFITHS
-----------------------------
Graduated 2006
BLaws/BArts (Political Science and International Affairs) - Newcastle

-tal-

HSC
Far out. I have a love-hate relationship with this subject. It's fun depending on the teacher I have.

My main teacher which I had for term 1, was an absolute idiot. She tried to be the friendly teacher type - which is really NOT my style. It also didn't help that she didn't come across as being intelligent, astute or even knowledgible. A teacher without one of those - I fail to respect and accept as my teacher. This lady, was lazy, and nonchalant.

Now, the teacher I got for the second term, was different. He knew his stuff, and he did it with a passion. This guy, he does his work, he's prepared, and he delivers great lessons. He challenged us, and although he gave a pretty big workload, it was rewarding and good, he'd have really good talking; like the really intelligent, highly analytical sort. Strenuous stuff - lots of worksheets, unscheduled morning classes, reading, discussion.

jazzbaby

HSC
my english teacher is great
as in ABSOLUTELY great

we do notes but most of the time we have discussions, which is great coz we get other peoples perspectives and ideas about what we are currently studying.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Teacher talks. We take notes. Teacher asks questions. We don't answer. Teacher rages. End of lesson.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I've actually forgotten the last time we were actually taught something in English. Probably sometime in Year 7... All I know is English is an independent subject which one could just basically learn by one's self. Reading extensively, formulating ideas, and then moulding those ideas into cohesive and structured forms of arguments. The only thing which the school environment provides, is the distribution of texts, and the notification of tasks. With some material along the way.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Teacher collects homework which I havn't done.
I get threatened with letters.
Teacher talks, I try to stay awake but fail.
I wake up when the teacher screams at me.
I get told to stay behind after class.
Teacher gives homework.
Class ends.
I get kept behind for 10 minutes while the teacher gives me a lecture.
I nod politely and agree with everything she says, and I apologise even if I've done nothing wrong.
I go to my next class late.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
foram said:
Teacher collects homework which I havn't done.
I get threatened with letters.
Teacher talks, I try to stay awake but fail.
I wake up when the teacher screams at me.
I get told to stay behind after class.
Teacher gives homework.
Class ends.
I get kept behind for 10 minutes while the teacher gives me a lecture.
I nod politely and agree with everything she says, and I apologise even if I've done nothing wrong.
I go to my next class late.
lol.
Were you trying to write a poem?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
lol.
I think he was sequentially listing the events, in chronological order, that take place during the course of his English class.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
kaz1 said:
lol.
no. just listing in order what happens in english classes for me. it's horrible. but i hate economics more now. the teacher is the most incompetent teacher i have ever seen, and she makes life difficult becuase the tests and assignments she makes are broken.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
foram said:
no. just listing in order what happens in english classes for me. it's horrible. but i hate economics more now. the teacher is the most incompetent teacher i have ever seen, and she makes life difficult becuase the tests and assignments she makes are broken.
Haha, Economics takes too much time. :(

As for English, I reckon there's way too many threads about advice/suggestions/corrections for individual English work. Seriously, there are so many different modules that it's unlikely those of you making these threads will get people learning the same thing, let alone the same text with the same thesis and such. The advice people here could offer would be limited mainly to general tips, stuff that doesn't specifically apply to the text. In other words, what we can offer is not even close to being on par with what you already get from your teacher/class/cohort. Sure, one or two of them might get decent replies, but most of the time, they'll just end up creating dead threads.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Continuum said:
Haha, Economics takes too much time. :(

As for English, I reckon there's way too many threads about advice/suggestions/corrections for individual English work. Seriously, there are so many different modules that it's unlikely those of you making these threads will get people learning the same thing, let alone the same text with the same thesis and such. The advice people here could offer would be limited mainly to general tips, stuff that doesn't specifically apply to the text. In other words, what we can offer is not even close to being on par with what you already get from your teacher/class/cohort. Sure, one or two of them might get decent replies, but most of the time, they'll just end up creating dead threads.

Am I the only one who thinks this?
i agree with you. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)