English (Advanced) Raw Marks, State Ranks and Estimations (1 Viewer)

Neologism

HSC
To get a State Rank in English (Advanced) would you need to pretty much get 105/105?

What do you all think will be the Raw Marks for Band 6 etc?

I was wondering iwhether I'd have a shot at getting a State Rank... I got 103/105 for the trial and got first place in the trial by 8 marks, as well as first overall internally. I improved my essays a lot even from the trial and thought Paper 1 was a dream paper. Paper 2 I also felt was good. I know I probably don't have a much of a chance since so many people do it and there are so many bright and talented students out there, but I just was wondering what people think???

P.S I wanted to put this in the English Section but then I wasn't sure whether to put it in Modules or AOS... so I resorted to putting it here because it is kind of a general English discussion! :)

HSC
Uni Grad
state rank would probably range from 96-100/105, depending on the texts you are using overall

Neologism

HSC
state rank would probably range from 96-100/105, depending on the texts you are using overall
May I ask, how does it depend on the texts? As in modules texts? I'm doing Frankenstein and Blade Runner, Hamlet and History and Memory 9/11 Website.

Aindan

HSC
May I ask, how does it depend on the texts? As in modules texts? I'm doing Frankenstein and Blade Runner, Hamlet and History and Memory 9/11 Website.
depending on the quality of the cohort and the marks recieved in comparison to other texts, each text for each module gets scaled differently. So if you pick 'harder' texts, you will get scaled higher.

D94

HSC
N/A
Some texts may suit the question far better than others or some texts are of a higher difficulty than others, so logically, you need to align them accordingly to a fair scale.

khfreakau

HSC
may i ask, how does it depend on the texts? As in modules texts? I'm doing frankenstein and blade runner, hamlet and history and memory 9/11 website.
haha i do these texts exactly. also, because you would go to a relatively low ranked school, it's difficult to predict if you'll get a state rank since you don't know how good your essays are compared to a lot of top kids. for all you know, your school might mark easy. i think you should just wait and let it play out, there's nothing you can do about it now.

HSC
Uni Grad
Different texts have different aligning from the Board of Studies. Some questions that were asked by the board of studies may have their texts not very suited to the question. As a result, texts that have been considered hard usually be aligned more, ie. an essay about In the Skin of a Lion getting a 13/20 would be aligned to a 15-16/20, whereas a Speeches essay may get from 13/20 raw to only 14/20 aligned.

Neologism

HSC
depending on the quality of the cohort and the marks recieved in comparison to other texts, each text for each module gets scaled differently. So if you pick 'harder' texts, you will get scaled higher.
Oh ok, does it work the same for AOS?

Neologism

HSC
haha i do these texts exactly.
ooo really! haha I've never known someone from any other school who's done the same as me... congrats on being the first person I've found :D I'm glad I did those texts, though some other do seem interesting too.

Kimbles2011

HSC
How I would love to get a state rank. i got 98/105 in the CSSA trial...But who knows!

enoilgam

HSC
for all you know, your school might mark easy.
This. With humanities and english, its difficult to tell whether you are state ranking material from trials - unless a HSC marker has marked them. With maths and science, its a different story.

khfreakau

HSC
ooo really! haha I've never known someone from any other school who's done the same as me... congrats on being the first person I've found :D I'm glad I did those texts, though some other do seem interesting too.
yeah, i thought they were fairly decent as well. i hated mod c though, cos the whole histmem thing was just a bit pointless in english to me. i'm not exactly a huge history buff you see ahaha

Neologism

HSC
Different texts have different aligning from the Board of Studies. Some questions that were asked by the board of studies may have their texts not very suited to the question. As a result, texts that have been considered hard usually be aligned more, ie. an essay about In the Skin of a Lion getting a 13/20 would be aligned to a 15-16/20, whereas a Speeches essay may get from 13/20 raw to only 14/20 aligned.
I get it now! That makes so much more sense, thanks! I heard people mentioning that they thought Emily Dickinson was a hard related text for the specific "place" belonging question? Does that mean, if perhaps, for example, this is considered harder to have answered the question, does this mean my mark could be aligned more?

Entity

HSC
2nded. I do the exact same texts. I also did Simple Gift for AOS...

Neologism

HSC
This. With humanities and english, its difficult to tell whether you are state ranking material from trials - unless a HSC marker has marked them. With maths and science, its a different story.
That's very true. Very difficult to tell. However if I got 8 marks ahead of 2nd place, then it was another 5 marks to 3rd place and my school marks easy, then wow that's still a pretty big gap. My teacher has been a HSC marker many times and her classes generally get the band 6s and the higher marks compared to the other teachers' classes. Sounds a bit harsh on the other teachers but they've never done HSC marking and it's just the way it's always been.

enoilgam

HSC
That's very true. Very difficult to tell. However if I got 8 marks ahead of 2nd place, then it was another 5 marks to 3rd place and my school marks easy, then wow that's still a pretty big gap. My teacher has been a HSC marker many times and her classes generally get the band 6s and the higher marks compared to the other teachers' classes. Sounds a bit harsh on the other teachers but they've never done HSC marking and it's just the way it's always been.
Well, if she is a HSC marker, then that would make the mark much more "accurate". So I guess a state ranking is possible going off your trial mark.

D94

HSC
N/A
With maths and science, its a different story.
Yes and no. For all we know, it could have been an easy exam/assessments, rather than the subjectivity in English/Humanities.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Yes and no. For all we know, it could have been an easy exam/assessments, rather than the subjectivity in English/Humanities.
I think enoilgam is referring more to the fact that english/humanities can be a bit more subjective/less predictable, whereas maths/science subjects have one right answer and are more objective in that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)