Dux of year 12 (1 Viewer)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
i still dont know the dux of my school ... must find out ...

jessika

law chicky
HSC
theres probably only one other guy that could have beat the dux at my school...and with the mark that she got, I dont think he did.
so Im guessing we had the same dux for uai and internal.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by jessika
theres probably only one other guy that could have beat the dux at my school...and with the mark that she got, I dont think he did.
so Im guessing we had the same dux for uai and internal.
At my school I missed out from dux by a UAI of 0.05 damnit.

Dan_the_man

I don't think we had a dux at our school.. we had 3 different people get academic excellence which is about equivalent..... but my tip for top UAI would be one of my friends who came first in 3 & 4 Unit Maths, Physics, SDD and IPT..... but I beat him in English :p at least I beat him in something

GJ_JOE

blood brother
I know how you feel Dan, I beat all of my 4U maths friends in english...finally I have a come back for when they give me shit about doing general maths :D

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Ultimate

At my school I missed out from dux by a UAI of 0.05 damnit.
who ended up getting dux at your school?

kini mini

HSC
At my school the dux was calculated from scaled trial marks and he got 100 in the end :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Kini - you have a single dux? I thought Grammar had 3 100s or something impressive like that? Or does the guy who got internals and 100 get the single award because he got both?

How does your school scale the trial marks?

My school gives academic achievement awards of the top 6 places without scaling the subjects which meant there were heaps of distortions between the school's "top 6" and the top 6 uais. e.g no3 had drama, and ancient scale her down so that uai-wise she probably came 10th.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Kini - you have a single dux? I thought Grammar had 3 100s or something impressive like that? Or does the guy who got internals and 100 get the single award because he got both?

How does your school scale the trial marks?

My school gives academic achievement awards of the top 6 places without scaling the subjects which meant there were heaps of distortions between the school's "top 6" and the top 6 uais. e.g no3 had drama, and ancient scale her down so that uai-wise she probably came 10th.
timmii -

Grammar has only the one dux, determined from internally scaled trial marks only :). Unfortunately for him, this year's dux managed to come 2nd/3rd in everything he did (very frustrating) and only got the one prize. We did have 3 100s this year though.

I have very little idea how they do the scaling, the man in charge of it is not the most approachable ( to be diplomatic) about it). All we have figured out from asking is that subjects are compared based on how people in those subjects do overall. Obviously there must be some point of reference, my guess is that it's partly english and totally rubbish. I really got screwed for my 3U French and 2U English, for no apparent reason. The assumption is they wanted to illustrate the gap between people's raw marks, but then that clearly didn't apply in 4U maths where i got 7 or 8 less scaled marks than no 1 who got something like 119/120, and I got 74...terribly inconsistent.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
All we have figured out from asking is that subjects are compared based on how people in those subjects do overall.
Sounds like a miniature version of the scaling processes used for the UAI - which is good in theory, but would tend to fall down for those courses that are only taken by a small number of students.

The sole aim of the system would be to rank all students correctly, and not to provide 'proper' marks or anything of that sort.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Sounds like a miniature version of the scaling processes used for the UAI - which is good in theory, but would tend to fall down for those courses that are only taken by a small number of students.

The sole aim of the system would be to rank all students correctly, and not to provide 'proper' marks or anything of that sort.
Problem is they rank us within the school as well, very annoying to see marks for small groups go down then. Extension subjects suffer.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

who ended up getting dux at your school?
Mike Davey got dux, he got 98.55 cause he topped the state in design and technology. I came second with 98.5.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
the dux at my school (topped the most subjects) ended up getting 99.40, though he came second in the UAI rankings (1st was 99.60, but dux at my school isn't awarded by UAI result).

jessika

law chicky
HSC

Mike Davey got dux, he got 98.55 cause he topped the state in design and technology. I came second with 98.5.

OMG, jetty, got a higher uai then BDC.

I saw that in the paper. your names dave hey? I think your photo is in the paper as well.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

OMG, jetty, got a higher uai then BDC.

I saw that in the paper. your names dave hey? I think your photo is in the paper as well.
yeah how did u guess ;). Though the photos have been screwed around quite a bit though.

Yeah but BDC got 25% of it students with a UAI oover 90.

jessika

law chicky
HSC

yeah how did u guess ;). Though the photos have been screwed around quite a bit though.

Yeah but BDC got 25% of it students with a UAI oover 90.
I dont know? hmm I wonder if our school even releases percentages: we had a some top uai's... and shhhhh dont tell anyone, but we also had people in the below 50 category, my friends bf got 40 something :eek: I feel sorry for him.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

I dont know? hmm I wonder if our school even releases percentages: we had a some top uai's... and shhhhh dont tell anyone, but we also had people in the below 50 category, my friends bf got 40 something :eek: I feel sorry for him.
I think bishop did better than any school overall in the coffs region in terms of UAI. Below 50 is real bad, your friend's bf wouldn't happen to be lachlan f would it?

jessika

law chicky
HSC

I think bishop did better than any school overall in the coffs region in terms of UAI. Below 50 is real bad, your friend's bf wouldn't happen to be lachlan f would it?
haha, yesh!!! how did you know? are you listening to my phone conversations?

hes actually told other people?

yeah, bishop overall in terms tends to do better other schools.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

haha, yesh!!! how did you know? are you listening to my phone conversations?

hes actually told other people?

yeah, bishop overall in terms tends to do better other schools.
I just happen to know lachlan as an ex BDC student (although I haven't talked to him since he left), and I remember him bringing his gf with him to the BDC after party. So I just guessed that your best friend would be lachlan's gf :)

And the fact that he only got 50 for his UAI helped to reinforce my guess.

jessika

law chicky
HSC

I just happen to know lachlan as an ex BDC student (although I haven't talked to him since he left), and I remember him bringing his gf with him to the BDC after party. So I just guessed that your best friend would be lachlan's gf :)

And the fact that he only got 50 for his UAI helped to reinforce my guess.
its a small world. and by the way, he didn't get 50 he got below 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)