Dux of year 12 (1 Viewer)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by jessika

In short: they had a newspaper article with the year 12 class, with a message saying that these people all failed the HSC. anyway, everyone got pissed, and the students sued and got money to make up for the defamation.

Pretty harsh if you ask me, you'd feel pretty bad if you failed, and then to have it publicised so that everyone could see, it'd just make you feel like you couldn't forget it.
That's a good account of the reason why UAI's aren't publicised in th newspaper anymore

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lazarus
Ever since the Mt Druitt High School 'scandal' in 1998, UAIs have only been made available to individual students and the universities to which they have applied.
that must have been hard on the students ... and the teachers ... and been bad publicity for the school ...

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
the guy who will undoubtably be dux of our year came first in 6 subjects - i think they were adv maths, 3u maths, physics, biology, ext history and ancient history

ps. he's a freak

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by tammer
the guy who will undoubtably be dux of our year came first in 6 subjects - i think they were adv maths, 3u maths, physics, biology, ext history and ancient history

ps. he's a freak
yeah I think every school has one (or a few, if ur @ a selective) of them ppl
mmm..the will-be dux at my school came 1st in 4U math, 3U math, Physics, Chemistry, Business studies and Japanese

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
at my school the jury is still out ... and we have an internal system (of students guessing) ... and there is a three-way tie ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
at my school the jury is still out ... and we have an internal system (of students guessing) ... and there is a three-way tie ...
why don't they just award dux based on who gets the top UAI.
I reckon it would be embarassing if you got dux and didn't get the top UAI.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

why don't they just award dux based on who gets the top UAI.
I reckon it would be embarassing if you got dux and didn't get the top UAI.
oh ... the three-way tie isnt official (students and guessing)... we're still wanting for the uais ... but punts have those three as the leaders ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
They must be real close then. At my school I should easily get the top UAI and consequently dux cos I do top-scaled subjects and do well in them, unlike any other individual in my grade.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
but people on the three-way tie do different subjects ... but they all do ext2 maths and at least adv eng ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
but people on the three-way tie do different subjects ... but they all do ext2 maths and at least adv eng ...
What UAI's are they expecting?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

What UAI's are they expecting?
they are all hoping for 100 ... but if i was a betting man this is what i would tip ... a duel dux both on 99.95 and the other remaining person on 99.9 ... because my school hasnt gotten a 100 since 1999 ... but each year the dux has at 99.95 ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

they are all hoping for 100 ... but if i was a betting man this is what i would tip ... a duel dux both on 99.95 and the other remaining person on 99.9 ... because my school hasnt gotten a 100 since 1999 ... but each year the dux has at 99.95 ...
Jeez, they are aiming very high then. The top mark at my school ever was 99.7 You must go to a private or selective school or something

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
going to a selective doesnt mean immunity from poor marks ... there are people who still get the "30 or below" ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
going to a selective doesnt mean immunity from poor marks ... there are people who still get the "30 or below" ...
yeah but the people who do well far outweigh those who get "30 or below" thereby minimising the damage. This is in stark contrast to a public school, where there are likely to be more people who get "30 or below"

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
as if NSBH gets any "30 or below" though!

hmm...provided the dux at my school didnt stuff english up, i'd put my house on him getting 100..

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
as if NSBH gets any "30 or below" though!

hmm...provided the dux at my school didnt stuff english up, i'd put my house on him getting 100..
I doubt many, if any students at selective schools contain students that get a UAI of "30 or below", other wise there is no way they could have got into the school in the first place.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah exactly my point, Ultimate

at my school, if the principal sees potential for a 30 or under UAI student (ie, they do no work at all), they are asked to leave the school.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if i was a betting-man i would put money on at least 1 person in my grade getting 30 or below ... being at a selective school doesnt mean everyones a freak and can pull 99 (with the obvious exception of jr whose average i think is 99+) ...

30% of my grade (or more since i think we have alot of dead wood) will not get 90+ (top 16 % of the state) ... and supposed 15% of candidature who sit the selective test get it ...

people do fluke the selective schools test ... trust me ... (im not one of them tho ... i put in many hours of hard work to get in ... altho my parents would beg to differ ...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)