Dux of year 12 (1 Viewer)

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
if i was a betting-man i would put money on at least 1 person in my grade getting 30 or below ... being at a selective school doesnt mean everyones a freak and can pull 99 (with the obvious exception of jr whose average i think is 99+) ...

30% of my grade (or more since i think we have alot of dead wood) will not get 90+ (top 16 % of the state) ... and supposed 15% of candidature who sit the selective test get it ...

people do fluke the selective schools test ... trust me ... (im not one of them tho ... i put in many hours of hard work to get in ... altho my parents would beg to differ ...)
How can you fluke the selective test though? don't they contain multiple choice and short answer questions.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ultimate

How can you fluke the selective test though? don't they contain multiple choice and short answer questions.
It's purely multiple choice
thats why there are coaching colleges that make lots of money by cramming students with shit in order to fluke the selective test. Its controversial coz newly arrived Asians that are very bright, but not good at english still manage to get in to the top schools. The govt is now trialling a written english exam from nxt yr

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

thats why there are coaching colleges that make lots of money by cramming students with shit in order to fluke the selective test. Its controversial coz newly arrived Asians that are very bright, but not good at english still manage to get in to the top schools. The govt is now trialling a written english exam from nxt yr
Well I wouldn't get into a selective college then even though I'm pretty smart. This is because I'm crap at multiple choice but am very good at short and long answer responses that require depth.

Yeah, it's been on the news about the coaching colleges guaranteing a place for kids at a selective school at the cost of a lot of money.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi

yes they are introducing new measures to reduce infant-cramming-scamming-colleges ... and fluking multiple choice isnt too difficult ... there are some not-so bright students at my school who do extremely well at multiple choice ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I'm just interested to see if there are any smart people out there who don't go well in multiple choice questions. Cos that's what I'm like

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the thing is - smart people will obviously do well in mc because they are smart ... but since its mc there is a large element of chance / or eliminating the unlikely ones ... on good days im very good at mc ... one bad days i wouldnt want to be doing mc ...

hornet

I doubt many, if any students at selective schools contain students that get a UAI of "30 or below", other wise there is no way they could have got into the school in the first place.
Nuh-uh. Someone I knew got "30 or below" at a selective school. Complete dumb ass..... he probably fluked it (well he was smart then) when he got in, for year 7. Then, he did 0 work. Fell into all the bottom subjects, rank went to the bottom, marks were all fails. The school cant do anything about it, he just becomes their black sheep really....

(well someone a friend of mine knows who i have met several times)

oh and minai, yeah he probably was asked to leave. but at public schools, you are rarely forced to leave, rather a concerted request with your parents, done by pointing out why continuing will only be bad. I guess his parents thought that if he stayed, a selective school would offer more opportunity to recover... more potential. in reality, it didn't matter what school he went to, he would have done like that....

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hornet

Nuh-uh. Someone I knew got "30 or below" at a selective school. Complete dumb ass..... he probably fluked it (well he was smart then) when he got in, for year 7. Then, he did 0 work. Fell into all the bottom subjects, rank went to the bottom, marks were all fails. The school cant do anything about it, he just becomes their black sheep really....

(well someone a friend of mine knows who i have met several times)

oh and minai, yeah he probably was asked to leave. but at public schools, you are rarely forced to leave, rather a concerted request with your parents, done by pointing out why continuing will only be bad. I guess his parents thought that if he stayed, a selective school would offer more opportunity to recover... more potential. in reality, it didn't matter what school he went to, he would have done like that....
see, ultimate and minai and others who think that being at a selective means you wont get '30 -', see, heres an example ... thank you hornet ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

see, ultimate and minai and others who think that being at a selective means you wont get '30 -', see, heres an example ... thank you hornet ...
but it is very rare. In the majority of circumstances I would think that the school would kick those people out to eliminate the potential damage to their reputation.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
rare indeed ... people only get kicked out of my school if they behave very very poorly ... never because of academic performances ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
rare indeed ... people only get kicked out of my school if they behave very very poorly ... never because of academic performances ...
Yeah well it would kind of be hard for the school to kick out students because they weren't performing academically.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Hmm, I must be the only person whose smart but does bad in multiple choice.

nah....I always do hell shit in mc choice questions, even when I know the right answers, for soem reason, I will start doubting myself and colour something else in. And also cause, sometimes I leave them till last and then rush them, or if I run out of time, I just colour something in (or worse just leave it - only happened a couple of times though).

...I have really poor time management skills.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I over think each question, so i often get mc questions wrong because I take the answers to the next level and find flaws in them all....and then misjudge which flaw is the most insignificant.

GJ_JOE

blood brother

yeah but the people who do well far outweigh those who get "30 or below" thereby minimising the damage. This is in stark contrast to a public school, where there are likely to be more people who get "30 or below"
i go to a public school and last years highest UAI was 99.8...not bad eh?......anyway, i hate how people who'll obviously get 30 or below didn't leave school after getting their school certificate....and as for this years dux, that lucky mofo was busy goin' out to concerts while everyone else was busy studying! i also hate people like that! lol

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
I over think each question, so i often get mc questions wrong because I take the answers to the next level and find flaws in them all....and then misjudge which flaw is the most insignificant.
Thats exactly what happens with me, I often find MC q's very ambiguous cause I read to much into them, when only a surface answer is required. That's why I'm always good at shoort and long answer responsees.

GJ_JOE

blood brother
i'm best at MC Qs...usually get one or two wrong, too bad theres mostly only ever 20 of them :(

monster

Well at my school we have 2 dux awards- 1 for the girl wiv the highest uai, so she is the uai dux, and one for the girl who gets the most 1st place rankings, based on internal assesments within courses, both 4 yr 12 and 11.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Just out of curiosity...how many ppl/schools here had their internal dux different from their UAI dux?

I think north sydney girls did, anywhere else?

1 more

fructis
HSC
At our school the dux was the same for both, it was inevitable!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)