• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dropping a Subject Advice Please (1 Viewer)

jenslekman

HSC
So ... im enterring yr12 this term ... and i currently am doing 13units. I knwo thats way too much. Currently, im doing 4maths, 3 english, physics, eco, ancient history.

Now... 4maths + physics are no drops as i am good and interested in those subjects. As for the other subjects:
- ancient history: coming second out of 30 and am interested in the work. I think ill be able to get a mid band 6. However, am bit concerned about the scaling.
- eco: i am getting a really good mark for eco consistently, and i think i can get into the top 5 if i try. HOWEVER, i find the work boring and uninteresting.
- 3english: perhaps my most unreliable subject. However, i am interested in english. i have topped this subject before, however, i have also gotten a pretty average mark before :L. However, i mainly do this subject as a backup for 2u english - just in case i stuff up ... as my 2u teacher sucks! while my 3u teacher is really gud.

Now, im aiming for an atar of 99+ and i go to a top 20 skool... i have explained my situation above, now could someone give me some advice as to what subjects to drop or not drop O_O. currently, im really thinking about eco... but i thought it woudl be best to discuss it on the boredofstudies first :D THnaks!

enoilgam

HSC
You dont have to drop anything just yet. Just keep your units for now and as the year progresses keep re-evaluating.

jenslekman

HSC
thanks... but im just afraid that im not applying myself to the fullest in eco (not because i dont want to but because im not too interested), and thus, im wasting precious yr12 time that i can be spending on other subjects.

AND also ... do you guys think that I will need to drop a subject in the future, even though i am currently "re-evaluating" my progress...

enoilgam

HSC
thanks... but im just afraid that im not applying myself to the fullest in eco (not because i dont want to but because im not too interested), and thus, im wasting precious yr12 time that i can be spending on other subjects.

AND also ... do you guys think that I will need to drop a subject in the future, even though i am currently "re-evaluating" my progress...
It depends, you might find 13 units managable. Some people on BOS have gotten decent ATAR's with 14 units.

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
Keep them for the time being is a good idea, HSC course differs from the Prelim Course. If you start struggling by the half-yearlys (maybe before), consider dropping something then. I'm most likely going to keep 14 units (including Extension 2 maths) for the HSC.

jenslekman

HSC
wow... okay O_O . because our school recommends 12units or less :L but yea!

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
My careers advisor strongly recommended I drop at least one subject, but I think I can cope with 14. I'm hoping I can anyway.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
13 units is way too much? Yeah, for some people - and it might not be for you. So don't listen to them and find out yourself. I found 14 units completely manageable.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
12 is probably the preferable amount but you can still do 14 units. There were people doing 16 units and got 99.95 ATAR.

Keep it till atleast after first assessment and determine what to keep/drop as the syllabus for Year 12 is different to Year 11.

yours

HSC
So ... im enterring yr12 this term ... and i currently am doing 13units. I knwo thats way too much. Currently, im doing 4maths, 3 english, physics, eco, ancient history.

Now... 4maths + physics are no drops as i am good and interested in those subjects. As for the other subjects:
- ancient history: coming second out of 30 and am interested in the work. I think ill be able to get a mid band 6. However, am bit concerned about the scaling.
- eco: i am getting a really good mark for eco consistently, and i think i can get into the top 5 if i try. HOWEVER, i find the work boring and uninteresting.
- 3english: perhaps my most unreliable subject. However, i am interested in english. i have topped this subject before, however, i have also gotten a pretty average mark before :L. However, i mainly do this subject as a backup for 2u english - just in case i stuff up ... as my 2u teacher sucks! while my 3u teacher is really gud.

Now, im aiming for an atar of 99+ and i go to a top 20 skool... i have explained my situation above, now could someone give me some advice as to what subjects to drop or not drop O_O. currently, im really thinking about eco... but i thought it woudl be best to discuss it on the boredofstudies first :D THnaks!
Wait until the first exam then drop whatever you did worst at/ whatever didn't pay off in terms of the work:results ratio

There are hardly any tasks for EE1 so your mark could be anything, keep this in mind.

jenslekman

HSC
Wait until the first exam then drop whatever you did worst at/ whatever didn't pay off in terms of the work:results ratio

There are hardly any tasks for EE1 so your mark could be anything, keep this in mind.
oh yea, i noticed that for EE1 ... but the thing is, ive already got 2 units accelerated (with mid band 6) so i was thinking about dropping a subject to make sure i do well in other subjects. howevver, adfter listienign to peoples advice, i think ill wait and see what happens before i drop anything :L.

Now, i want to know, if i dont get a band 6 in advanced english, would it still be possible for me to get an E4 in EE1?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)