Dropping a sub (1 Viewer)

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Okay so I only have until Wednesday to change/drop a subject and i'm thinking of dropping extension english.

Reasons for this is because it's starting to become boring and the teacher just goes on and on and is basically a bludgey subject. I just see no point in it and it's just taking up all my frees. If i dropped extension english, then i would have a lot more early days and more free periods. I'm also not very good at english and barely passed my year 10 yearlies (I actually tried and I only got 36/60 lol)

But ye should i drop EE1? y/n

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Be careful young Fawn people change their mind ALOT about this stuff

Focus is Key

HSC
Lol Extension English bludgy subject? Yeah Right! If you keep it I can almost gurantee there will be a large workload for the course.

Aysce

HSC
It's too early!

Plus junior performance doesn't really indicate much imo, it's kind of a different ball-game in year 11 and 12. Like I did WAYYY better in year 11 maths than year 10 maths, same applied with english. I'm talking about like my very first few assignments where I studied the same amount as in year 10. Give it a few more weeks - you don't want to regret dropping it.

norwegianwood

HSC
i dropped extension 1 around this time last year because it was more work than any of my 2-unit subjects
i remember deciding in the shower
probs the best decision i made in yr11

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Lol Extension English bludgy subject? Yeah Right! If you keep it I can almost gurantee there will be a large workload for the course.
It is a bludgy subject to be honest.

Fawun what are your other subjects? Remember that you do need some high scaling ones. (yes I know you need to pick subjects blah blah blah) But really it can't hurt to pick a subject for the scaling, Ex1 is just a little more work on top of advanced anyway. I would say keep it. However I need to know your other subjects

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Be careful young Fawn people change their mind ALOT about this stuff
Thats the thing. I want to make a decision where I won't regret it in the future.

I just had a double extension english last period and we watched Harry Potter... Honestly its like a waste of time and I could be doing other stuff.

It's too early!

Plus junior performance doesn't really indicate much imo, it's kind of a different ball-game in year 11 and 12. Like I did WAYYY better in year 11 maths than year 10 maths, same applied with english. I'm talking about like my very first few assignments where I studied the same amount as in year 10. Give it a few more weeks - you don't want to regret dropping it.
I only have until the end of this week iirc

Fawun what are your other subjects? Remember that you do need some high scaling ones. (yes I know you need to pick subjects blah blah blah) But really it can't hurt to pick a subject for the scaling, Ex1 is just a little more work on top of advanced anyway. I would say keep it. However I need to know your other subjects
I'm doing Extension English, Extension Math, Modern history, Ancient history, economics and legal studies (will drop legal as soon as i get into year 12 lol)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Thats the thing. I want to make a decision where I won't regret it in the future.

I just had a double extension english last period and we watched Harry Potter... Honestly its like a waste of time and I could be doing other stuff.

I only have until the end of this week iirc

I'm doing Extension English, Extension Math, Modern history, Ancient history, economics and legal studies (will drop legal as soon as i get into year 12 lol)
Yeah I reckon you should keep Extension 1 English AT LEAST until year 12 and make another decision there.

Trust me, there is no real need to rush for year 11, this year should be one where you try things out.

You should definitely try to do 4U Maths (which you should)

And even if you don't want to do the subjects that I have already mentioned, I am sure you will start to like Extension English, each major exam is only a story and an essay its nothing too intense.

Last edited:

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
Yeah I reckon you should keep Extension 1 English AT LEAST until year 12 and make another decision there.

Trust me, there is no real need to rush for year 11, this year should be one where you try things out.

You should definitely try to do 4U Maths (which you should)

And even if you don't want to do the subjects that I have already mentioned, I am sure you will start to like Extension English, each major exam is only a story and an essay its nothing too intense.
I would TRY 4U Maths in year 12 but my sister advised against it saying that it's a waste of time and that it's going to kill my brain cells (lol). Plus i'm not very good at maths because it frustrates me hahaha. "Each major exam is ONLY a story and an essay". Yep lol you make it sound so easy. Nothing frustrates me more than being in EE1 with all the smart english people who are so passionate (srsly) in english whereas I am so shit at english and that it bores me. Also, I feel so left out because all my friends do standard english and get to leave early while I have to stay back :cry: so if I drop it, I can leave early as well (being hypocritical here lol) or maybe I can pick up History Extension in year 12 (idk i'm not thinking that far ahead yet).

I don't know what I do. Half of my brain says yes and the other half says no :cry:

enoilgam

HSC
I would wait until you get into it before dropping - you are far better off waiting until the end of year 11/begining of year 12 when you have a far better perspective on each subject.

nifkeh

HSC
it's not bludgy.. you have to read texts, do essays *on top* of English 2U's essays and reading. I dropped EE1 as it consumed a lot of time, around yearly prelims we had like had to do an English practice essay for 2U advanced, then do a utopia essay assignment for marks for EE1 and well as having our yearly tests for everything next week it was crazy

however in year 12 you only do one topic throughout the whole year I think. In prelims for EE1 we did two topics, modernism for HY and utopia for yearly

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I would TRY 4U Maths in year 12 but my sister advised against it saying that it's a waste of time and that it's going to kill my brain cells (lol). Plus i'm not very good at maths because it frustrates me hahaha. "Each major exam is ONLY a story and an essay". Yep lol you make it sound so easy. Nothing frustrates me more than being in EE1 with all the smart english people who are so passionate (srsly) in english whereas I am so shit at english and that it bores me. Also, I feel so left out because all my friends do standard english and get to leave early while I have to stay back :cry: so if I drop it, I can leave early as well (being hypocritical here lol) or maybe I can pick up History Extension in year 12 (idk i'm not thinking that far ahead yet).

I don't know what I do. Half of my brain says yes and the other half says no :cry:
The way I would look at it, is to always be conservative with your actions if you aren't sure. In this case its just best to keep it until you see fit not to do the subject any more. Oh and make sure you do try out 4U maths whatever your sister says lol

it's not bludgy.. you have to read texts, do essays *on top* of English 2U's essays and reading. I dropped EE1 as it consumed a lot of time, around yearly prelims we had like had to do an English practice essay for 2U advanced, then do a utopia essay assignment for marks for EE1 and well as having our yearly tests for everything next week it was crazy

however in year 12 you only do one topic throughout the whole year I think. In prelims for EE1 we did two topics, modernism for HY and utopia for yearly
Well if you have a habit of reading novels from the first place, reading something new shouldn't be an issue at all.
If you develop good points while in class and if your teacher is good, Extension 1 English isn't much of an issue.

starshine02

HSC

You should at least maybe wait until the first year 11 assessment? I started off disliking the subject but it eventually got better...

Also why do you only have until end of this week?

Eg155

HSC

EE1 is the best subject! keep with it for now irrc (sorry, bias) . what module are you doing? ...harry potter wtf...

and hist. ext totally screws with your mind. would not recommend it.
you.dropped.it?! :O

Aysce

HSC
EE1 is the best subject! keep with it for now irrc (sorry, bias) . what module are you doing? ...harry potter wtf...

and hist. ext totally screws with your mind. would not recommend it.
you.dropped.it?! :O
A tad late Eg :haha:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)