Does your homework take up most of your study/revision time? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I just completed my maths homework and it took me 2 hours, I feel like that I'm doing too much question and I should be skipping some. Anyone else in the same position for maybe English? History? How do you deal with this?

Anthel

HSC
N/A
I'm in the exact same situation for english. Though what you should do is to form some kind of schedule like a timetable for your study. So you can designate time for you to do some study and revision.

monopoly73

HSC
the same for chemistry. most of my study time is taken up with that because its such a demanding course

Kymren

HSC
I had the same problem, but I fixed it by doing homework and assessments in the afternoon/night, and getting up early to do study. if I didn't have any homework I did some study as well at night.
I did have get up at 4am every morning, but that didn't worry me much. I could do on average 2 and a half to 3 hours study in the morning.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
the same for chemistry. most of my study time is taken up with that because its such a demanding course
It's not that demanding till you reach Monitoring and Management where a lot of rote is required, try not focusing on it too much.

klee98

HSC
I get where your coming from. For maths, i would just handpick them, like i would do those that are the hardest first (usually the last question).
And if i can't do them, ill do the easier ones then approach harder ones.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
You will find that leading up to exams and especially later in the year that your homework workload will gradually decrease until you have most of your time to study. I personally was spending around 3-4 hours a day homework and 1-2 hours a day study in term 1. Which turned into 2 hours a day homework and 3 hours a day study in term 2 and almost no homework what so ever in term 3.

If you find that you are learning exam technique/content through your homework by all means don't rush through it and take your time, in my opinion whilst it is not quite revision homework is a type of study in itself. If you find that doing homework is pointless feel free to skip a few questions.

enoilgam

HSC
Homework is useless for every subject excluding Maths
Pretty much sums up how I felt about it. Homework should only be done if you feel it is useful and effective - if it isn't, don't bother. A lot of people are scared about not doing homework because of teachers/parents expectations. Overall, the HSC is driven by you and you really need to decide what is best for you - of course, you should take on board advice, but ultimately you are the one who needs to decide whether it is worth doing. If it's a waste, don't do it and don't feel bad about it.

HSC
Homework and revision are equally important and it's just a matter of finding a balance between both. Homework in the form of doing assignments and tasks may hold greater weighting during non-exam periods while revision may hold greater weighting during exam periods.

So long as you're doing something every afternoon at an efficient rate, you're fine; just because you have spent 2 hours on mathematics homework doesn't mean you have sacrificed 2 hours on mathematics revision.

An apple is an apple and similarly study is study.

mreditor16

HSC
Pretty much sums up how I felt about it. Homework should only be done if you feel it is useful and effective - if it isn't, don't bother. A lot of people are scared about not doing homework because of teachers/parents expectations. Overall, the HSC is driven by you and you really need to decide what is best for you - of course, you should take on board advice, but ultimately you are the one who needs to decide whether it is worth doing. If it's a waste, don't do it and don't feel bad about it.
I have to agree with this, full stop. There were times when I wouldn't do allocated HW, and feel guilty about it. But the key is that you got so much on your plate this year, and hence you have to prioritise. Completing HW that improves your learning and results very little usually isn't worth the time. Be strategic - figure out what helps you learn better and perform more in exams, and tailor your schedule and planned activities to that.

teridax

HSC
N/A
I have to agree with this, full stop. There were times when I wouldn't do allocated HW, and feel guilty about it. But the key is that you got so much on your plate this year, and hence you have to prioritise. Completing HW that improves your learning and results very little usually isn't worth the time. Be strategic - figure out what helps you learn better and perform more in exams, and tailor your schedule and planned activities to that.
especially english in regards to comprehension questions, and writing a page on what you have learnt from discovery - such bullshit lol

mreditor16

HSC
especially english in regards to comprehension questions, and writing a page on what you have learnt from discovery - such bullshit lol
defs agree, but for some people, they get something out of it. tbh I never did English HW. All I did was writing up mouldable essays and kept on refining them with the assistance of teachers, tutors and peers.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah maths homework and homework in general took a lot of time for me. So I stopped doing pointless homework like english essays and irrelevant questions from physics etc and for maths I did questions until I understood the concept and moved on

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
personally, maths is the only subject i do the h/w allocated by my teacher. for my other subjects, it depends on how much benefit it provides; sometimes it helps, sometimes it helps. although, i never do the h/w for english - it is literally a joke lol - just practice essays (if you're bothered), or, if you're lazy like me, perfect essays and memorise + adapt them :haha:

at the end of the day, as the aforementioned posters have said, it's your hsc. find what method gets you the marks. but imo, doing things like going over syllabus content, reading marker's feedback and doing lots of practice Q's is more optimal as opposed to completing trivial tasks that you'd only do in order to get a sticker from your teacher (lol, only halfsrs)
That typo thought hawk, ahaha
lel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)