Do teachers treat students differently in year 11? (1 Viewer)

Pinchy444

HSC
Yo!

I am wondering if teachers teach senior students differently than they would with the junior kids. I'm asking this because a few people say that its a huge difference where as others say its the same...

Anyways hope someone can help address this further..

:)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Teachers will treat you well if you treat them well.

But they generally change to all students in year 11 and 12.

I found most to be nicer, some talked to us on a personal level more. It depends. The subjects like extension math, were good because we all wanted to be there, and we respected the teacher, where as business was full of kids choosing it because they had nothing better to choose sucked because they didn't really care and pissed the teacher off.

candehh

HSC
Personally,

All my teachers addressed me differently.

I guess because we are no longer the 'annoying juniors'

Like mitchy_boy said they speak on a more personal level and really the teaching changes because of it. You kind of learn in a more 'intimate' (lack of a better word) way.

Also, because most of my classes are small it means there's more one-on-one time.

Year 12 is great.

Year 11 was also great, don't stress

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on your school. Huge difference at my school though. Teachers would treat juniors like crap and yell a lot. Once I hit Year 11 I found teachers were a lot relaxed and they were a lot more fun.

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in the top class all throughout junior high and we weren't disruptive and were all well behaved (25 girls, 5 guys). I hadn't noticed any change in the way my teachers treated me.

deterministic

HSC
If you're a dick to people, they'll be a dick to you. If you're nice to them, they'll return the favour. Same philosophy applies to teachers and being in year 11 seems irrelevant. Though most year 11s are more serious about their studies, and are smart enough to behave in class and treat teachers with respect in order to learn.

khfreakau

HSC
I was in the top class all throughout junior high and we weren't disruptive and were all well behaved (25 girls, 5 guys). I hadn't noticed any change in the way my teachers treated me.
Wow that's a huge skew, our school would be way more skewed towards the male end haha.

And for me, I guess it was sort of towards the end of year 10 that things started changing up. Definitely, I do talk to the teachers more like friends than superiors now. More like "mentors". There's one teacher in our school who despises juniors, perhaps the worst teacher that a junior could have, but actually becomes really good in years 11/12 (testament is that he taught the kid who came first in eco last year haha).

Pyrobooby

HSC
No way..!

With about 2/5 of the grade dropping out, you get these small classes that feel really comfortable and such.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Haha, I know that type of ratio. My English Adv class had me and another guy, and the rest were girls.
Exact same situation.

I have my HSIE Head Teacher as a friend on Facebook and my Maths Head Teacher's phone number. I know about 95% of Maths' life and found intellectual stimulation with HSIE. Have met both's children. Both top notch teachers and people. (Any old Baulko kids remember Mrs. Berry?)

Basically, depending on what they and your class is like, teachers become people instead of teachers.

suling

HSC
My teachers became more awesome - especially my maths teacher. She used to make us food and we all went to her house for afternoon tea.

Basically they just started treating us more as equals. =)

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I felt they definately changed! You can have a joke with them now-days xD

NewiJapper

HSC
My teachers treated me amazingly nice. I admit that I was a bit of suck up and not surprised that I got "Teachers Pet" at the formal lol but, I made friends with some of my teachers :p

I still go to karaoke some weeks with my old Japanese teacher and me and a couple of friends meet up with our english+ext1 teacher once and a while to catch up with a coffee or something.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
From experience the teachers will treat the students with the same respect the students treat them with. If you're nice to them, they'll return the respect.
Overall, there was a lot more trust from teachers. They treated us like adults, and to an extent as equals. Of course they were still the authoritive figures, but the formality changed; there was a lot more informal discussions, sarcasm, jokes, relaxed environments, and friendliness.

I guess it was the idea that these were the two years that students would 'need' their teachers the most, and they knew it. Therefore there was a more informal relationship established throughout the school. Plus we were no longer generalised as the juniors! n_n

I remember in Ancient last year, we took off a while two weeks of Ancient classes, and my teacher lined her classroom with massive Butchers paper, and we were allowed to paint frescoes! It was brilliant! Not only did we have fun, but it also taught us the techniques and stylistic art forms that went into the frescoes of Santorini. Those two weeks will always be remembered, the informality allowed us to develop closer relations with each other and our teacher. It will be sad to take our frescoes down when we return, in order to allow this years' year 11 the same opportunity.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
From experience the teachers will treat the students with the same respect the students treat them with. If you're nice to them, they'll return the respect.
Overall, there was a lot more trust from teachers. They treated us like adults, and to an extent as equals. Of course they were still the authoritive figures, but the formality changed; there was a lot more informal discussions, sarcasm, jokes, relaxed environments, and friendliness.

I guess it was the idea that these were the two years that students would 'need' their teachers the most, and they knew it. Therefore there was a more informal relationship established throughout the school. Plus we were no longer generalised as the juniors! n_n

I remember in Ancient last year, we took off a while two weeks of Ancient classes, and my teacher lined her classroom with massive Butchers paper, and we were allowed to paint frescoes! It was brilliant! Not only did we have fun, but it also taught us the techniques and stylistic art forms that went into the frescoes of Santorini. Those two weeks will always be remembered, the informality allowed us to develop closer relations with each other and our teacher. It will be sad to take our frescoes down when we return, in order to allow this years' year 11 the same opportunity.
I've sadly experienced otherwise too often.

khfreakau

HSC
Exact same situation.

I have my HSIE Head Teacher as a friend on Facebook and my Maths Head Teacher's phone number. I know about 95% of Maths' life and found intellectual stimulation with HSIE. Have met both's children. Both top notch teachers and people. (Any old Baulko kids remember Mrs. Berry?)
I remember Mrs Barry from the VA department... =/ And are those Heads Mrs Ford and Mr Ribbans?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)