Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
For most exams nope, but for physics around 3 people did.

arrogant

HSC
Only one person has left an exam early that I have heard of, and that was drama. For the most part we aren't allowed

madharris

HSC
N/A
In the big cohort exams (even english) there are always about 20 people who leave after the first hour.
In biology there were about 10 people left by the end and i was actually like wtf where did everyone go

the only exam where people haven't left is music but that's because it's listening so you can't really leave

funstudy

HSC
Depends on the type of people within the year cohort. And yes it can pull the marks down- I'm not too sure of it completely but the highest external mark in the class sets the 'ceiling' mark and the lowest external mark inthe class sets the 'bottom' mark. If the person ranked last keeps their rank, it's not much of an issue but if ranks change and someone comes last in externals, they get the person who ranked last in internal's HSC mark (averaged with their own)

Dash8

HSC
Like 10 people left my physics exam early. In geography, a kid came in an hour late and left about half an hour early....the other half of the class pretty much left early too.

Aaron6693

HSC
stop saying you did well, and just say what your ATAR was.
No i didnt get 99.7

I got 96.25, not that your ATAR means anything once u get into the course u want to get into. (Once u get into uni, noone gives a shit about ATAR's, as noone should)

But thats besides the point anyway. I wasnt stuck at home for all of Year 12 studying, no I didnt have regular study patterns whatsoever, and yeah I did leave early in most of my exams.

In saying that, that dosnt mean to say I didnt work hard throughout the entire HSC. I made sure I studied beforehand during exams etc obviously.

Basically, you'd be stupid to make the assumption that someone didnt try/work hard in their exam purely on the fact that they left early.

nifkeh

HSC
When I said I did very well for the HSC, I wasnt going off by what I THOUGHT I got...I was going off what I DID get because I sat the HSC in 2011.
I left as soon as I possibly could, did very well, and more than likely pulled people's marks UP.

Someone leaving early is not an indicator of how hard they've tried in an exam. The perfect example would be my entire cohort for the most part.
exactly, I know heaps of people in my grade that are like "I finished the exam and had 30 mins left" or in a 3 hr trial were like "I finished with an hour left", and I'm at a selective school too. Obviously they're fast, and they are pretty smart too; I usually finish a 3 hour exam with 15 mins left because I take my time and use it to think longer, maybe they just think faster and that's their usual rate of thinking. If they chose to leave early, it doesn't mean that they're not as bright or something or that they're not trying, stop being so judgemental and blaming them on pulling your cohort down. One of the people in my IPT class who was ranked last in internals left the HSC exam early and she still got a band 5. When you see people leaving, that's their wish and you shouldn't even care for their decision, it is their own loss or gain.

You don't have the right either to tell others (especially people lower ranked than you) to not leave the exam, what's the point of doing that? Who are you to tell them what to do? I wouldn't do it because it is showing off indirectly, telling those not to leave for your own benefit because it will drag the marks down, while also showcasing your authority because you think you have substantial marks that will be ruined by them. Don't winge about your cohort, if you wanted a better one nobody said you couldn't go into James Ruse. Sorry for the sarcasm, but you need to accept what you are dealt with and do your own best, irrespective of others. I'm sure if you were ranked near last in a subject, you wouldn't want to hear 'either work harder, or simply don't attend the exam at all if you're not going to try or even sit the whole thing' from anyone else. Your school wouldn't tell you to do that in the exam would they? Why should you as a student, feign care and tell that to others then.

anyways I'm saying there's no correlation between leaving early and pulling down the marks of the school. Because there isn't any. In any cohort there are bound to be people who aren't performing of the calibre of the top students, but that doesn't mean you can pick and point them out and accuse them of leaving early, because in any case they could be the ones sitting the exam for the full time. I don't see how their marks would affect you, if you look at the state rankings, lots of the people who are there are not necessarily from the top schools in NSW anyway, so you really shouldn't be complaining about your cohort dragging you down, being the whole reason for getting bad marks

the other day one of the people in our physics class was chatting to the teacher about cohorts and the HSC assessments. There's about 7 of us in the room, all of different rankings in relation to the average mark. This person in our physics class and cohort is very likely to be in the top 5 or so out of the 42 people who did physics in our year. The conversation was open and very audible. She said to the teacher (the conversation being about getting a band 5/6 in physics and marks required to get one) "but our year isn't really that good in physics anyway". I was offended by that comment when she said it, and I'm around the average mark as well (78), though I kept my feelings inside and kept my mouth shut. I was about to say "then you must be really smart then", because they way she worded it could easily be interpreted as 'our grade is pretty dumb/stupid to begin with, there's no hope for a band 6 for most of them', practically an indirect insult to everyone in the room who are nowhere near the bottom of the grade. Fortunately the teacher replied with "We'll see", because it is honest to say that the unexpected or surprises can happen with our cohort this year relative to other years in our school. Basically your opinions of others in the year can hurt them, even though they don't tell you that they are hurt. And what you say, even though you think is muted, can be the same thing and effect as if it was said literally.

Rawf

HSC
Yeah people at my school do.. it makes me pissed. Like 1hr 30 mins in or whatever, then they'd leave.
There's usually about 4-5 people who do it for each exam I've been to and for business.. lol thats a whole different story.

p3rf3ction

HSC
No i didnt get 99.7

I got 96.25, not that your ATAR means anything once u get into the course u want to get into. (Once u get into uni, noone gives a shit about ATAR's, as noone should)

But thats besides the point anyway. I wasnt stuck at home for all of Year 12 studying, no I didnt have regular study patterns whatsoever, and yeah I did leave early in most of my exams.

In saying that, that dosnt mean to say I didnt work hard throughout the entire HSC. I made sure I studied beforehand during exams etc obviously.

Basically, you'd be stupid to make the assumption that someone didnt try/work hard in their exam purely on the fact that they left early.
close enough. Impressive score man.

Bosanski Heroj

HSC
Around 36 people entered the exam hall for legal studies at my school and only 9 were left when the exam finished

Aaron6693

HSC
Yeah people at my school do.. it makes me pissed. Like 1hr 30 mins in or whatever, then they'd leave.
There's usually about 4-5 people who do it for each exam I've been to and for business.. lol thats a whole different story.
Just curious and not having a shot at you, but why would that piss you off?

As long as they're not galloping out of the exam hall and causing a scene, why would it matter to you if someone left early?

nifkeh

HSC
who's bothered to read all that??
lol I was ranting, anyway here's a tl;dr:

anyways I'm saying there's no correlation between leaving early and pulling down the marks of the school.

animeiswild

HSC
Doesn't happen at my school. I told everyone in my cohort that if they're not gonna try to not even turn up...lol. I feel that there is only just enough time to complete the exams (at least for my subjects).
Lol if they didn't turn up and got zero it's even worse for the cohort than them at least staying and doing something. I'm worried for you if you told everyone that. You're just picking up a stone and hitting yourself in the foot.

xmichaelpham

HSC
From my school, considering all the exams I've done, no one ever leaves early lol

eileend

HSC
the instructions for our exam said that "no one is to leave until the examination is over"

is it the same instruction for everyone? or just my school...

because i seriously would like to leave my religion exam as soon as it starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)