Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
the instructions for our exam said that "no one is to leave until the examination is over"

is it the same instruction for everyone? or just my school...

because i seriously would like to leave my religion exam as soon as it starts
My school states it won't let people leave, but really it just meant that the Construction people were rowdy till they got kicked out when I was doing EE1.

And nifkeh, not everyone is lucky enough to live in Sydney where the opportunity of selective school exists.

Rawf

HSC
Just curious and not having a shot at you, but why would that piss you off?

As long as they're not galloping out of the exam hall and causing a scene, why would it matter to you if someone left early?
Because I doubt they've even finished the test or even tried to attempt all the questions. In one of my exams, this guy left behind me and he was so loud -__- like he was talking at a normal voice level (not whispering) and all I heard was ruffling, especially because the supervisor almost dropped his paper and then she was laughing and all.
Just ruins my train of thought and I think it'd would be better if they just didn't turn up at all so our cohort performs better.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol if they didn't turn up and got zero it's even worse for the cohort than them at least staying and doing something. I'm worried for you if you told everyone that. You're just picking up a stone and hitting yourself in the foot.
Wrong, you get no result for the course and are not counted in the cohort.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No i didnt get 99.7

I got 96.25, not that your ATAR means anything once u get into the course u want to get into. (Once u get into uni, noone gives a shit about ATAR's, as noone should)

But thats besides the point anyway. I wasnt stuck at home for all of Year 12 studying, no I didnt have regular study patterns whatsoever, and yeah I did leave early in most of my exams.

In saying that, that dosnt mean to say I didnt work hard throughout the entire HSC. I made sure I studied beforehand during exams etc obviously.

Basically, you'd be stupid to make the assumption that someone didnt try/work hard in their exam purely on the fact that they left early.
96 is a brilliant atar. If I had the choice between hiring someone like you who was more well rounded or someone who got a 99 atar, I would always hire the more well rounded person. The same for uni; most people with HD averages are idiots with no common sense. Sure, they have book smarts but they are not smart enough to function and fit into the workplace typically. I am the opposite of elite; instead of having a minimum cut off I would probably have a maximum cut off (e.g. is your WAM is above 80; do not take their application further).

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Because I doubt they've even finished the test or even tried to attempt all the questions. In one of my exams, this guy left behind me and he was so loud -__- like he was talking at a normal voice level (not whispering) and all I heard was ruffling, especially because the supervisor almost dropped his paper and then she was laughing and all.
Just ruins my train of thought and I think it'd would be better if they just didn't turn up at all so our cohort performs better.
The schooling system does not work like that.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
96 is a brilliant atar. If I had the choice between hiring someone like you who was more well rounded or someone who got a 99 atar, I would always hire the more well rounded person. The same for uni; most people with HD averages are idiots with no common sense. Sure, they have book smarts but they are not smart enough to function and fit into the workplace typically. I am the opposite of elite; instead of having a minimum cut off I would probably have a maximum cut off (e.g. is your WAM is above 80; do not take their application further).
There are people who have high WAMs that are well rounded...or high HSC results.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There are people who have high WAMs that are well rounded...or high HSC results.
Of course, but in my experience those people are usually in the minority of those who over achieve academically.

Aaron6693

HSC
And this is what I'm saying...making the assumption that they havnt finished or attempted all the questions just because they've left early is utter bullshit. Going off what you believe, I must have written next to nothing in my HSC exams. There is no definitive correlation between someone leaving early and not doing well in the HSC, or any other exam for that fact.

If we had it your way, I wouldnt have sat the HSC exams at all, wouldnt have received the ATAR I needed, and therefore wouldnt be doing well in my first year of Uni. That just makes you selfish.

And no I'm not attacking you, I'm just making a point.

Aaron6693

HSC
Thankyou! haha

Yeah I completely understand what you're saying. For me, I've worked hard my entire school life, including University.
But in conjunction with that, I've gone out to parties, even during times when its probably not the BEST thing to do due to exams etc.

But in all honestly I'd rather get a Credit or Distinction over a High Distinction, if it meant I could go out with friends and unwind and just let loose. It is ALL about balance, and yes, I think its perfectly fine for there to be times when you're a little bit "unbalanced"...it's just how you recover and make sure you get back on track in time for the important things, and never neglect stuff.

Rawf

HSC
And this is what I'm saying...making the assumption that they havnt finished or attempted all the questions just because they've left early is utter bullshit. Going off what you believe, I must have written next to nothing in my HSC exams. There is no definitive correlation between someone leaving early and not doing well in the HSC, or any other exam for that fact.

If we had it your way, I wouldnt have sat the HSC exams at all, wouldnt have received the ATAR I needed, and therefore wouldnt be doing well in my first year of Uni. That just makes you selfish.

And no I'm not attacking you, I'm just making a point.
Yeah I get what you mean.. but I don't think they would exactly be receiving top marks for spending only 1.5 hours in a 3 hour exam unless they're absolutely brilliant at the subject (which is unlikely for a subject apart from maths) and trust me, I know these students personally and they're not exaclty the best of students .. they usually sit there or sleep for the first hour, try something for 30 mins and then leave.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. Yes, those who get HDs and 99+ ATARs may be over-achievers but they’ve challenged themselves. That’s what makes them suitable for the workplace; they’re willing to do something with everything they’ve got regardless of how truly little pay-off there is to it. If you’re going to do something why not just give it your all? Honestly, what are you really even going to do with the extra half an hour spent in an exam or just an extra hour studying to attain a HD? Stop being so delusional in thinking that you’re better or more 'well-rounded' than people who just try harder than you in some aspects of their life.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous. Yes, those who get HDs and 99+ ATARs may be over-achievers but they’ve challenged themselves. That’s what makes them suitable for the workplace; they’re willing to do something with everything they’ve got regardless of how truly little pay-off there is to it. If you’re going to do something why not just give it your all? Honestly, what are you really even going to do with the extra half an hour spent in an exam or just an extra hour studying to attain a HD? Stop being so delusional in thinking that you’re better or more 'well-rounded' than people who just try harder than you in some aspects of their life.
Agreed.

B3A13

HSC
Uni Grad
exactly, I know heaps of people in my grade that are like "I finished the exam and had 30 mins left" or in a 3 hr trial were like "I finished with an hour left", and I'm at a selective school too. Obviously they're fast, and they are pretty smart too; I usually finish a 3 hour exam with 15 mins left because I take my time and use it to think longer, maybe they just think faster and that's their usual rate of thinking. If they chose to leave early, it doesn't mean that they're not as bright or something or that they're not trying, stop being so judgemental and blaming them on pulling your cohort down. One of the people in my IPT class who was ranked last in internals left the HSC exam early and she still got a band 5. When you see people leaving, that's their wish and you shouldn't even care for their decision, it is their own loss or gain.

You don't have the right either to tell others (especially people lower ranked than you) to not leave the exam, what's the point of doing that? Who are you to tell them what to do? I wouldn't do it because it is showing off indirectly, telling those not to leave for your own benefit because it will drag the marks down, while also showcasing your authority because you think you have substantial marks that will be ruined by them. Don't winge about your cohort, if you wanted a better one nobody said you couldn't go into James Ruse. Sorry for the sarcasm, but you need to accept what you are dealt with and do your own best, irrespective of others. I'm sure if you were ranked near last in a subject, you wouldn't want to hear 'either work harder, or simply don't attend the exam at all if you're not going to try or even sit the whole thing' from anyone else. Your school wouldn't tell you to do that in the exam would they? Why should you as a student, feign care and tell that to others then.

anyways I'm saying there's no correlation between leaving early and pulling down the marks of the school. Because there isn't any. In any cohort there are bound to be people who aren't performing of the calibre of the top students, but that doesn't mean you can pick and point them out and accuse them of leaving early, because in any case they could be the ones sitting the exam for the full time. I don't see how their marks would affect you, if you look at the state rankings, lots of the people who are there are not necessarily from the top schools in NSW anyway, so you really shouldn't be complaining about your cohort dragging you down, being the whole reason for getting bad marks

the other day one of the people in our physics class was chatting to the teacher about cohorts and the HSC assessments. There's about 7 of us in the room, all of different rankings in relation to the average mark. This person in our physics class and cohort is very likely to be in the top 5 or so out of the 42 people who did physics in our year. The conversation was open and very audible. She said to the teacher (the conversation being about getting a band 5/6 in physics and marks required to get one) "but our year isn't really that good in physics anyway". I was offended by that comment when she said it, and I'm around the average mark as well (78), though I kept my feelings inside and kept my mouth shut. I was about to say "then you must be really smart then", because they way she worded it could easily be interpreted as 'our grade is pretty dumb/stupid to begin with, there's no hope for a band 6 for most of them', practically an indirect insult to everyone in the room who are nowhere near the bottom of the grade. Fortunately the teacher replied with "We'll see", because it is honest to say that the unexpected or surprises can happen with our cohort this year relative to other years in our school. Basically your opinions of others in the year can hurt them, even though they don't tell you that they are hurt. And what you say, even though you think is muted, can be the same thing and effect as if it was said literally.

I think it is my position to pose a question, I was not stating that anyone shouldn't leave an exam if they have finished, although I do believe why sit through hundreds of hours of learning and work to let it go for 40-30 minutes. One or two marks could be the difference between bands, and it saddens me that people, even if they have tried their best do not wait and see if something else comes to them.

And it is also a little frustrating that they pull down your marks, but I did not and would never pressure someone for my own cause. It was my choice to go to a poor ranking school, and I have not regretted it. It is just a little incomprehensible when you and most of the others are trying to get the highest marks they can irrespective of their ability.

alphophil

HSC
N/A
If you’re going to do something why not just give it your all? Honestly, what are you really even going to do with the extra half an hour spent in an exam or just an extra hour studying to attain a HD?
I 100% agree with this!

you kidding me? This is ridiculous. Yes, those who get HDs and 99+ ATARs may be over-achievers but they’ve challenged themselves. That’s what makes them suitable for the workplace; they’re willing to do something with everything they’ve got regardless of how truly little pay-off there is to it.
But I don't really agree with this.... I understand where you are coming from but sometimes you get those people who are sooooo focused on getting perfect scores and impeccable grades that they haven't really experienced life in the process. Studying 24/7 for the High Distinction is their life. These people have absolutely no social skills and aren't as good in the real world. Obviously you want someone who can do the job to the highest of standards, but personally, if i were interviewing two people and one got significantly higher grades than the other, if the other person was extremely charismatic and sociable and could still perform to a high standard I'd go with them.

Aaron6693

HSC
You've obviously completely missed the point of this post. It is 100% true that workplaces more often than not hire those who are more "well-rounded" in terms of their approach to life. (I dont have a source because I'm not all that bothered to find one, but I'm sure you're smart enough to do so). I've seen it time and time again in the workforce myself, and heard about it from both my parents who are in positions to hire people within the companies they work for.

There's no doubt that people who get 99+/HD everything are incredibly smart and whatnot, but the point is that more often then not it is these types of people who usually dont have a life outside of their studies. If you disagree with that, then I can honestly say you are completely oblivious, and probably ignorant, to that fact.

I would much rather hire the person who did their best, received an ATAR 89/got a mixture of Credits/Distinctions/High Distinctions and still was social and had fun, than someone who did their best, got INCREDIBLE results but never saw the big picture to life. Whats the point in being intelligent if you cant interact with those around you?And just to make it clearer, why do you think most places ask about extra-curricular activities etc? My Dad works as a mining engineer in WA and even during interviews for positions there, the same question is asked.

So no, this person isn't "delusional" in thinking those people are more "well-rounded", because time and time again its been proven to be more successful than being stuck at home 24/7...

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
But I don't really agree with this.... I understand where you are coming from but sometimes you get those people who are sooooo focused on getting perfect scores and impeccable grades that they haven't really experienced life in the process. Studying 24/7 for the High Distinction is their life. These people have absolutely no social skills and aren't as good in the real world. Obviously you want someone who can do the job to the highest of standards, but personally, if i were interviewing two people and one got significantly higher grades than the other, if the other person was extremely charismatic and sociable and could still perform to a high standard I'd go with them.
There is no reason to generalise that all people that get HD don't have social skills. Many people do have social skills and such a dull generalisation puts down all the top achievers when the vast majority of them DO have half decent social skills.

Personally, I believe your jealousy of those better than you is worse than their apparent lack of social skills.

Eg155

HSC
Hey question guys, just to ease this, do the marks of everyone else still pull you down if you are first in the subject?

Aaron6693

HSC
There is no reason to generalise that all people that get HD don't have social skills. Many people do have social skills and such a dull generalisation puts down all the top achievers when the vast majority of them DO have half decent social skills.

Personally, I believe your jealousy of those better than you is worse than their apparent lack of social skills.
You just made yourself look stupid imo. The whole point of the discussion in this threat has been about generalisations. You're making the generalisation that those who leave early didnt try etc, which is just that; a generalisation. Dont tell someone to not make generalisations when you're doing the exact same thing...

Sure, there are those who get 99+/HD's who have great social skills. What I'm saying is that more often than not, that is not the case (and the same goes for when I see people leave early).

And that comment accusing them of being jealous is just ridiculous. Sorry, but I'd much rather sacrifice a few ATAR points/HD's if it meant I didnt have to be stuck studying for some crazy amount of time, feeling that I cant go out with friends because of the "all-important" ATAR. If anything, people who study like that would be jealous of those who did almost as good as them, yet didnt have to sacrifice aspects of their social life...

Aaron6693

HSC
Hey question guys, just to ease this, do the marks of everyone else still pull you down if you are first in the subject?
The logistics of it all are more complicated than this, but the generalisation would be yes, but since you'd be coming first it'd either have no effect basically, or a very minimal one.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
You've obviously completely missed the point of this post. It is 100% true that workplaces more often than not hire those who are more "well-rounded" in terms of their approach to life. (I dont have a source because I'm not all that bothered to find one, but I'm sure you're smart enough to do so). I've seen it time and time again in the workforce myself, and heard about it from both my parents who are in positions to hire people within the companies they work for.

There's no doubt that people who get 99+/HD everything are incredibly smart and whatnot, but the point is that more often then not it is these types of people who usually dont have a life outside of their studies. If you disagree with that, then I can honestly say you are completely oblivious, and probably ignorant, to that fact.

I would much rather hire the person who did their best, received an ATAR 89/got a mixture of Credits/Distinctions/High Distinctions and still was social and had fun, than someone who did their best, got INCREDIBLE results but never saw the big picture to life. Whats the point in being intelligent if you cant interact with those around you?And just to make it clearer, why do you think most places ask about extra-curricular activities etc? My Dad works as a mining engineer in WA and even during interviews for positions there, the same question is asked.

So no, this person isn't "delusional" in thinking those people are more "well-rounded", because time and time again its been proven to be more successful than being stuck at home 24/7...
Look, I go to Ruse, I don’t know why in the world they let me in, but they did. But most people there are incredible; state-level athletes, great performers, have social lives that extend beyond what I would even imagine to be apart of, they are great with people, disgustingly nice, and yet the median ATAR is incredibly high. To be honest, I would love to hate them too because I’m the most socially inept person imaginable but I also struggle considerably more to attain the same marks that they do. So no, I’m not ignorant at all as I have first-hand experience with these 99.95 ATAR-getting, HD- averaging people who are not ‘missing the bigger picture of life’.

The whole point of the discussion in this threat has been about generalisations. You're making the generalisation that those who leave early didnt try etc, which is just that; a generalisation. Dont tell someone to not make generalisations when you're doing the exact same thing...
But yes, those who leave early (it’s not a generalisation), are not trying their best. Their best would be just to stick it out the extra half an hour to see if they could an extra mark or two and even if they do not, know that they did in fact do their best after actually trying their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)