Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B3A13

HSC
Uni Grad
I live on the north coast,
and people leave our exams like 30-40 minutes early in almost every exam.
(except english lol).

Does this happen in most schools, and do you think it pulls down marks of the school?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't happen at my school. I told everyone in my cohort that if they're not gonna try to not even turn up...lol. I feel that there is only just enough time to complete the exams (at least for my subjects).

Aysce

HSC
(except english lol).

Does this happen in most schools, and do you think it pulls down marks of the school?
It hardly happens in my school since people either use the whole time to finish or check the exam. Depends, if they are just not going to bother putting in the effort and leave early, it could detrimentally impact the marks of the school.

Aysce

HSC
(except english lol).

It hardly happens in my school since people either use the whole time to finish or check the exam. Depends, if they are just not going to bother putting in the effort and leave early, it could detrimentally impact the marks of the school.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
(except english lol).

I doubt it pulls down the mark of the school. Those people who are leaving early are leaving because they've done all they can. There's no real point in them staying.

B3A13

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, that makes sense.
This is why I hate going to a poorly ranking school. If they don't want to try they shouldn't turn up.

I have classes of 4 and I am scared that the people at the bottom who left 40 mins early will ruin my marks. :( sucks

deswa1

HSC
Nah no one leaves early at mine (though its a selective school so I would expect no one too because of the mentality of students being more academic etc.)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, that makes sense.
This is why I hate going to a poorly ranking school. If they don't want to try they shouldn't turn up.

Just because someone doesn't stay the full length of the exam doesn't mean they're not trying. I know plenty of people who simply don't know how to write well for 2-3 hours. They get down everything they know, but it's a waste of their time sitting around for the last hour if you've got nothing else to say. There's only so much you can review your work, and presumably, if their writing skills aren't great, their reviewing skills won't be much better.

Also, for many people, the HSC isn't about achieving the highest mark they possible can. There are more practical and pragmatic reasons for doing the HSC than just trying to maximise marks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's quite common at my school for people to finish really early. Some people only attempt a few Qs, others sleep through them etc. The HSC is not all about marks for people, it's about getting the diploma.

And yeah I guess it does mean a wider mark spread for the school, but honestly expected at comprehensives, always a head then the middle and then the tail.

Aaron6693

HSC
Doesn't happen at my school. I told everyone in my cohort that if they're not gonna try to not even turn up...lol. I feel that there is only just enough time to complete the exams (at least for my subjects).
Leaving early has nothing to do with not trying...I left every single one of my exams early, apart from Advanced English, along with a number of other people. I even left my HSC Biology and one other exam over an hour early.
This was at a selective school as well, for those suggesting this dosnt happen with selective cohorts.

And without trying to sound conceited, I did very well for the HSC.

Pop Culture

HSC
N/A
Never seen it happen. Although I do see people just stop and sit there for 30 or 20 minutes before the exam finishes.
I don't know why. Writing something could potentially mean a few more marks, even if you are unsure about what to answer and don't do it well. Maybe they just give up and don't see the point in trying.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Leaving early has nothing to do with not trying...I left every single one of my exams early, apart from Advanced English, along with a number of other people. I even left my HSC Biology and one other exam over an hour early.
This was at a selective school as well, for those suggesting this dosnt happen with selective cohorts.

We'll see by your results then. In the past, at our school, there was often 1-2 students that would leave the exam as soon as they could which significantly dragged the whole cohort down.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Well yes sometimes it is because smart people finish really early, like HSC bio it's common for people to finish 1.5 hrs early, it's rare for people to leave like right as they finish as they normally check.

I'd say most cases people haven't really given it a go OR just have done all they can.

Like people who rock in late to the exam and then leave early. People who sleep cause they can't leave the 1st hr etc.

forgot

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's quite common at my school for people to finish really early. Some people only attempt a few Qs, others sleep through them etc. The HSC is not all about marks for people, it's about getting the diploma.

And yeah I guess it does mean a wider mark spread for the school, but honestly expected at comprehensives, always a head then the middle and then the tail.
Same, thats what happened to me as well, a student went to sleep half way in the exam, and one of the supervisors had to wake her up and told her that she was distracting others.

kenkap

HSC
the low ranked people in my school turn up, write their names and go to a nice sleep...after first hour, they inform the examiner and just walk out!

kenkap

HSC
Same, thats what happened to me as well, a student went to sleep half way in the exam, and one of the supervisors had to wake her up and told her that she was distracting others.
lol..

Aaron6693

HSC
We'll see by your results then. In the past, at our school, there was often 1-2 students that would leave the exam as soon as they could which significantly dragged the whole cohort down.
When I said I did very well for the HSC, I wasnt going off by what I THOUGHT I got...I was going off what I DID get because I sat the HSC in 2011.
I left as soon as I possibly could, did very well, and more than likely pulled people's marks UP.

Someone leaving early is not an indicator of how hard they've tried in an exam. The perfect example would be my entire cohort for the most part.

p3rf3ction

HSC
When I said I did very well for the HSC, I wasnt going off by what I THOUGHT I got...I was going off what I DID get because I sat the HSC in 2011.
I left as soon as I possibly could, did very well, and more than likely pulled people's marks UP.

Someone leaving early is not an indicator of how hard they've tried in an exam. The perfect example would be my entire cohort for the most part.
stop saying you did well, and just say what your ATAR was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)