Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
No i didnt get 99.7

I got 96.25, not that your ATAR means anything once u get into the course u want to get into. (Once u get into uni, noone gives a shit about ATAR's, as noone should)

But thats besides the point anyway. I wasnt stuck at home for all of Year 12 studying, no I didnt have regular study patterns whatsoever, and yeah I did leave early in most of my exams.

In saying that, that dosnt mean to say I didnt work hard throughout the entire HSC. I made sure I studied beforehand during exams etc obviously.

Basically, you'd be stupid to make the assumption that someone didnt try/work hard in their exam purely on the fact that they left early.
I don't think so, buddy

93.20 for me =)

Pretty bloody happy. Up until yesterday, I never thought I'd make it remotely close to 90+.
And considering my First Preference is 74, I'm fairly confident of getting in =P
You ashamed of your ATAR?

Aaron6693

HSC
Look, I go to Ruse, I don’t know why in the world they let me in, but they did. But most people there are incredible; state-level athletes, great performers, have social lives that extend beyond what I would even imagine to be apart of, they are great with people, disgustingly nice, and yet the median ATAR is incredibly high. To be honest, I would love to hate them too because I’m the most socially inept person imaginable but I also struggle considerably more to attain the same marks that they do. So no, I’m not ignorant at all as I have first-hand experience with these 99.95 ATAR-getting, HD- averaging people who are not ‘missing the bigger picture of life’.

But yes, those who leave early (it’s not a generalisation), are not trying their best. Their best would be just to stick it out the extra half an hour to see if they could an extra mark or two and even if they do not, know that they did in fact do their best after actually trying their best.
This is a generalisation. I'm a perfect example along with the majority of other kids who were in my cohort. Are you saying that myself getting 97 in my Biology exam was me not trying my best due to the fact that I left just under 1.5 hours early? (No I'm not meaning to sound conceited, I'm just providing an example). You cant say its not a generalisation because that makes you look stupid.

And in regards to your comment in relation to Ruse...I've got no doubt there are people like that whatsoever. What I'm saying is that more often than not, this is not the case. Time and time again its shown. Even more so, Ruse isnt the only school with exceptional performers...noone was singling them out.

People saying that those who dont go out and only study aren't doing themselves any favours etc dosnt translate as "People at James Ruse arent doing themselves any favours"...

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I would much rather hire the person who did their best, received an ATAR 89/got a mixture of Credits/Distinctions/High Distinctions and still was social and had fun, than someone who did their best, got INCREDIBLE results but never saw the big picture to life. Whats the point in being intelligent if you cant interact with those around you?And just to make it clearer, why do you think most places ask about extra-curricular activities etc? My Dad works as a mining engineer in WA and even during interviews for positions there, the same question is asked.

So no, this person isn't "delusional" in thinking those people are more "well-rounded", because time and time again its been proven to be more successful than being stuck at home 24/7...
It is especially important in industries such as mining, construction and any engineering fields where you regularly interact with trades. No offense intended, but if you are Asian, have an 80 WAM and list your hobbies as playing WoW/Starcraft/whatever the games are these days, from what I've see you probably won't last lone on a mine site or construction site as the workers won't respect you. Mining/construction firms would rather hire the well rounded guy who plays a team sport, has a 65 WAM and most importantly of all, is an easy goign person who will be able to get along with the miners/tradies.

I read somewhere the other day that one large Australian company uses the following test in ultimately deciding whether to hire someone: "Could I have a beer with them?" If yes, they are given the job, if not, no, as they fail the final personality test.

Aaron6693

HSC
I don't think so, buddy

You ashamed of your ATAR?
Not at all actually. I had my ATAR recalculated :)

Even with 93.2 I would be incredibly happy, especially since I failed my Modern History trial and was expecting 50 or something for the HSC Course for that subject o.0

deswa1

HSC
I don't want to get involved in any fights but just throwing this out there:

@Aaron- you just claimed to get 97 in bio and in a thread a month ago, you said you got either 95 or 96 in english. How then did you get a 96 ATAR, and I quote "Up until yesterday, I never thought I'd make it remotely close to 90+". If you got mid 90's for two subjects like those, you are defs a 99 candidate and you would know it- you would not be surprised with a 90 ATAR if you were capable of a 97 exam mark in bio, which, I'm pretty sure is a state rank or extremely close to it. I'm calling bullshit

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad

@Aaron- you just claimed to get 97 in bio and in a thread a month ago, you said you got either 95 or 96 in english. How then did you get a 96 ATAR, and I quote "Up until yesterday, I never thought I'd make it remotely close to 90+". If you got mid 90's for two subjects like those, you are defs a 99 candidate and you would know it- you would not be surprised with a 90 ATAR if you were capable of a 97 exam mark in bio, which, I'm pretty sure is a state rank or extremely close to it. I'm calling bullshit
I agree with you, Deswa

In another post, he claims he got a 94 atar lol

This guy just can't understand that people can be both exceptionally smart and sociable

Aaron6693

HSC

I never actually think I would get that high. I'm very critical of myself, which is a MAJOR downfall of mine coz it gets me worked up when I shouldnt have to. In all seriousness, I thought I would be lucky to get 80. In hindsight, I can see how stupid I was to think that as my marks were good. At the time though, I was obviously being overly-critical.

And no, I was using the 97 in Bio thing as an example, hence the bracketed sentence. And yes I did get quite high in English! That was the only exam I think I was confident in getting a Band 6 in... o.0

barbernator

HSC
I never actually think I would get that high. I'm very critical of myself, which is a MAJOR downfall of mine coz it gets me worked up when I shouldnt have to. In all seriousness, I thought I would be lucky to get 80. In hindsight, I can see how stupid I was to think that as my marks were good. At the time though, I was obviously being overly-critical.

And no, I was using the 97 in Bio thing as an example, hence the bracketed sentence. And yes I did get quite high in English! That was the only exam I think I was confident in getting a Band 6 in... o.0
that contrast

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
This is a generalisation. I'm a perfect example along with the majority of other kids who were in my cohort. Are you saying that myself getting 97 in my Biology exam was me not trying my best due to the fact that I left just under 1.5 hours early? (No I'm not meaning to sound conceited, I'm just providing an example). You cant say its not a generalisation because that makes you look stupid.

And in regards to your comment in relation to Ruse...I've got no doubt there are people like that whatsoever. What I'm saying is that more often than not, this is not the case. Time and time again its shown. Even more so, Ruse isnt the only school with exceptional performers...noone was singling them out.

People saying that those who dont go out and only study aren't doing themselves any favours etc dosnt translate as "People at James Ruse arent doing themselves any favours"...
Yes. Yes, I am saying you didn't do your best. Whatever you did, you could have still done better. An extra 1.5 hours would have given you several more marks. Even if you didn't need them, why wouldn't you just try anyway? It doesn't make sense to me; you've tried so hard over the course of the HSC, why won't you just spend an extra freaking hour and a half on a stupid exam?

And no, it is not 'more often than not'. Where are you even getting your information? Who have you known that 'doesn't go out and only study'? Do you even know these people personally? Stop being condescending to people who just try harder than you do.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether Aaron6693 got an ATAR of 92, 94, 96 or 97 or something else as he got into the university course that he wanted to get into which is all that matters. As soon as you do that, your ATAR is not relevant anymore and if you ask anyone in uni what ATAR they got or you tell them, then they will think you are a massive douchebag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)