Controversy with Prefects (1 Viewer)

HSC
yeah, at our school the whole grade is nominated and the grade chooses who gets to be a prefect, as well as the teachers.

the theory is, if the 'groups' vote mainly for their own friends, then the teacher's votes will sway the majority, cos they know the grade better or something...

then when the group of prefects are decided, then its down to a judging panel and interview process to determine captains and vices.

theres like..twenty people in the prefect body at our school

xoshayox

HSC
Charity F said:
with a smaller group it can be harder

don't worry everyone will get over it in due time.

and to those who were unlucky - well there's nothing stopping them from taking up leadership roles within the school and making a better contribution that some of the prefects themselves. That plus some recommendation letters from teachers/deputies/principal might turn out to be just as good as 'school prefect' on the schlolarship apps, etc.
its just so stupid because now theres two people who are saying that they are going to leave, and are getting parents involved, etc just because they didnt get prefect. they have so many opportunities to get involved in the school but have decided that they aren't going to because they didnt get their own way!

i dont understand how people can be so immature about it - it's affecting our whole group. hopefully they do get over it.

.JESS.

HSC
xoshayox said:
Ok so we voted for School Prefects last week and we found out this week who they are. It has created quite alot of controversy within our year because the people who expected to get it didnt.
We only have a small year group and everyone is really close so this has really divided the group and caused a big upset. Many think it was a popularity contest but the people were elected by getting the votes from the younger years, peers and teachers.

Has anyone else been in the same situation recently ? And what did you do to make things easier within the group ?

holycrap
this prety much sounds the exact same as my school hey
So there is pretty much this boy and girl, previous year 10 captains who whinge and complain and probably shit on themselves, but also are having meetings and stuff with their parents with the year patron and 'headmaster'
So pretty much i think we go to the same school?

HSC
at my school people who want to be prefects hand in an application to our welfare officers and with the principal and the current school captains cut the list down to a group to interview. after interviews 10 yr 11s (going into yr 12) and 8 yr 10s (going into yr 11) are chosen. the captains are voted for by all of the prefects and the principal, welfare officer and year advisors. the rest of yr 11 (yr 12 next term) become vice captains- so 8 vice captains and the yr 10s (yr 11 next yr) become prefects because our captains change over at the end of term three

me121

Premium Member
HSC
do you really want to be a prefect.. all it meant at my old school is you have to stand up at assembly some days. wow. seriously the whole idea of prefects at my old school is stupid in my opinion, because they didn't do anything.

Anus McLovin

HSC
At Sydney Boys High, the Prefects list is generally pretty good. The only problem with it is it's ALL up to the teachers' say. The teachers tend to vote for good people, but not necessarily the ones the students want. 3/4 of kids who get it are liked by students, 1/4 is disliked. Although the students vote, a teacher's vote is worth 5 times as much, and so quite a few butthole lickers get it. The teachers' votes tend to take out the popularity contest, but a kid who can get 104 student votes, can be edged out by someone who gets 21 Teachers' votes.

Demonstrating to 104 students that you're worth it is actually considerably harder than demonstrating it to 21 steachers, because 104 students exceeds a "friend circle" by a considerable amount. It is pretty bullshit.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Anus McLovin said:
At Sydney Boys High, the Prefects list is generally pretty good. The only problem with it is it's ALL up to the teachers' say. The teachers tend to vote for good people, but not necessarily the ones the students want. 3/4 of kids who get it are liked by students, 1/4 is disliked. Although the students vote, a teacher's vote is worth 5 times as much, and so quite a few butthole lickers get it. The teachers' votes tend to take out the popularity contest, but a kid who can get 104 student votes, can be edged out by someone who gets 21 Teachers' votes.

Demonstrating to 104 students that you're worth it is actually considerably harder than demonstrating it to 21 steachers, because 104 students exceeds a "friend circle" by a considerable amount. It is pretty bullshit.
But teachers' votes are less biased, don't you reckon? Students would seriously go for their best mates, ignoring the right procedure. Teachers at least know, during their classes, who the "good" kids are.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
ASSHOLE. said:
holycrap
this prety much sounds the exact same as my school hey
So there is pretty much this boy and girl, previous year 10 captains who whinge and complain and probably shit on themselves, but also are having meetings and stuff with their parents with the year patron and 'headmaster'
So pretty much i think we go to the same school?
Wow pretty much sounds like my school. Basically sounds like you go to Wollondilly Anglican, what a coincidence? Now these 2 kids are leaving because they didnt get their own way, just because it was someone elses turn to get a leadership role in the school. Pretty immature and pathetic if you ask me? (too bad they are my 2 best friends... and are ignoring me at the moment over getting prefect)

There are so many other oppotunities for people to do well within a school. Although I got prefect and I am very happy about it I would give it up any day to be dux in Year 12.

Anus McLovin

HSC
lyounamu said:
But teachers' votes are less biased, don't you reckon? Students would seriously go for their best mates, ignoring the right procedure. Teachers at least know, during their classes, who the "good" kids are.
Teachers generally don't spend that much time on a one to one basis with the students. The only kids that will speak out to them are the kids that are doing exceptionally well, arse kissers, or those who are disruptive in class.

As I mentioned, the teachers will vote for the ones doing well, and i'm not saying they're bad prefects, just that there are people better for the job. These people tend to be (not always) socially awkward, and the prefects are meant to be kids you want representing your school, and the teacher bias doesn't help. Most kids won't want this.

The kids who do miss out, but deserve it fall somewhere in the middle, doing alright at academics, but doing much more outside the classroom. Teachers won't know much about these kids, but i'm sure their peers will.

I can understand where you're coming from, but i don't think a teacher's vote should be worth MORE than a student's.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Anus McLovin said:
Teachers generally don't spend that much time on a one to one basis with the students. The only kids that will speak out to them are the kids that are doing exceptionally well, arse kissers, or those who are disruptive in class.

As I mentioned, the teachers will vote for the ones doing well, and i'm not saying they're bad prefects, just that there are people better for the job. These people tend to be (not always) socially awkward, and the prefects are meant to be kids you want representing your school, and the teacher bias doesn't help. Most kids won't want this.

The kids who do miss out, but deserve it fall somewhere in the middle, doing alright at academics, but doing much more outside the classroom. Teachers won't know much about these kids, but i'm sure their peers will.

I can understand where you're coming from, but i don't think a teacher's vote should be worth MORE than a student's.
Um, fair enough.

At my school, teachers weren't even given a vote, I don't think. It was purely by principal.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
Um, fair enough.

At my school, teachers weren't even given a vote, I don't think. It was purely by principal.
Teachers got to vote with the students at my school, but the ultimate decision came down to the College Staff Executive (like they would review all the votes - just so that idiots don't get elected) - so some might see that as unfair... but I'm happy - I got prefect :D

speedofsound

HSC
lyounamu said:
Um, fair enough.

Oh God, the principal knows even less about us than our teachers. I don't think she has a clue who half our grade is.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
speedofsound said:
Oh God, the principal knows even less about us than our teachers. I don't think she has a clue who half our grade is.
EXACTLY.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Ours went suprisingly smoothly this time last year

the only controversy was the the school captains and vice captains were fucking each other, and that was more lulz than controversy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Ours went suprisingly smoothly this time last year

the only controversy was the the school captains and vice captains were fucking each other, and that was more lulz than controversy.
what do you mean, "fuckin each other". And how would people know unless they publicly....

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
what do you mean, "fuckin each other". And how would people know unless they publicly....
Fucking as in consumating the boyfriend-girlfriend union.

People know because we
a. saw them in the back of their cars
b. heard them in the spare rooms at friends places
c. can pretty much guess anyways because both of them are stoked with life.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Fucking as in consumating the boyfriend-girlfriend union.

People know because we
a. saw them in the back of their cars
b. heard them in the spare rooms at friends places
c. can pretty much guess anyways because both of them are stoked with life.
ok...

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lyounamu said:
our years pretty small. 70 odd people can and will fit into a big house if you try hard enough.

just dont expect your copulation to go unheard.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
Heard a rumour that although our prefects elected for captain/vice captain. Ultimately it was up to teachers.... dodgy.
Nope, we Prefects voted for Pat and Clive. It was a result that quite a lot of people expected the moment after we handed in our ballot papers because there was a general consensus that everyone had either put Pat or Clive as their first or second preferences. The only question that was unanswered was whether it'd be a Pat/Clive ticket or a Clive/Pat.

Anus McLovin said:

I don't think teacher votes were worth 5, I think they were worth 2 or 3. But you're right about something, a lot of people who deserved to get in didn't get in. That being said, I really think that this is the best group of Prefects High has had in a while, and despite there are a couple who may not deserve to be on the list, based on Yr 7-11 performances, they will step up this year. And there were no outright shockers like Anosh from the Class of 08.

Though, considering that 60% of the Prefects came from the Wall group, I reckon it is sorta be unfair. But when it came to the Captain vote, the non-Wall people decided the Captaincy/Vice Captaincy. The Wall group decided to ditch Pat as their candidate of choice, and instead, went for Clive, but at the end of the day, Pat got Captain. So, yeah. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)