Controversy with Prefects (1 Viewer)

xoshayox

HSC
Ok so we voted for School Prefects last week and we found out this week who they are. It has created quite alot of controversy within our year because the people who expected to get it didnt.
We only have a small year group and everyone is really close so this has really divided the group and caused a big upset. Many think it was a popularity contest but the people were elected by getting the votes from the younger years, peers and teachers.

Has anyone else been in the same situation recently ? And what did you do to make things easier within the group ?

Boxes

Banned
HSC
xoshayox said:
Ok so we voted for School Prefects last week and we found out this week who they are. It has created quite alot of controversy within our year because the people who expected to get it didnt.
We only have a small year group and everyone is really close so this has really divided the group and caused a big upset. Many think it was a popularity contest but the people were elected by getting the votes from the younger years, peers and teachers.

Has anyone else been in the same situation recently ? And what did you do to make things easier within the group ?
wtf?!? other years also get to vote??

bawd

HSC
Boxes said:
wtf?!? other years also get to vote??
It is school captain/prefects who represent the entire school after all. Not a year captain. Our system is like that as well.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bawd said:
It is school captain/prefects who represent the entire school after all. Not a year captain. Our system is like that as well.
But in many cases, they hardly know you and they might have prejudice against candidates. It's pretty unfair in my opinion.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Bah, in our school, only Year 11 and the teachers get to vote
Except the teachers votes count for like, 20 votes each or something

Lots of people that we hate (ie. the douchebags who suck up to the teachers) got in
Oh well

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
at our school, our prefects got elected by only year 11, teachers are only involved in electing school captain, vice captain, etc.

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
But in many cases, they hardly know you and they might have prejudice against candidates. It's pretty unfair in my opinion.
Year 7 votes worth 1 point
Year 8 = 2 pt.
Year 9 = 3 pt.
Year 10 = 4 pt.
Year 11 = 5 pt.
Teachers = 10 pt.

I get what you're saying, but IMHO having the entire school vote for school captain is much better. Our SRC/Prefect body is chosen solely by Year 11's however.

SeftonIsAHole

HSC
i know you'd feel bad if you didn't make it but why would it cause a division between people in your year group? does being prefect actually mean that much? I mean.. like 50 people tried out and only 15 or so made it.

at my school, only the year 11 and teachers vote and the captains are decided by the prefects themselves and teachers (i think).

SimonLee13

HSC
Heard a rumour that although our prefects elected for captain/vice captain. Ultimately it was up to teachers.... dodgy.

Simo91

HSC
Our system is voting to get into the src for year 12, and then an interview with the principal, deputy principal, year coordinator and the head teacher of the SRC, to determine who becomes the two captains (one male, one female) and the other four remaining as vice-captains.

Only the students from our year and the teachers vote in the src process, I have my interview on Tuesday, so hopefully I can become captain :)

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
SeftonIsAHole said:
at my school, only the year 11 and teachers vote and the captains are decided by the prefects themselves and teachers (i think).
I think number of votes from year 11 also has something to do with how the executive gets elected.

I should know eh, being that I was one, but I don't remember.

shifty-Asian

HSC
kaz1 said:
The person who got school captain in our school is the biggest suck up. Sorry Richard if you ever read this but it's true.

ROFL...
you go to patty boys?
when i saw this quote from someone else i immediately had to look back to see who posted it
MUAHAHA i think i noe who you're talking about..
he got school captain in primary school as well..=/

but yea...only our grade got to vote for our captains...theres like a whole 'portfolio' leadership group..12 leaders all up..
nobody voted for the two biggest suck ups who want it so badly..but i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up getting spots anyways...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
shifty-Asian said:
ROFL...
you go to patty boys?
when i saw this quote from someone else i immediately had to look back to see who posted it
MUAHAHA i think i noe who you're talking about..
he got school captain in primary school as well..=/

but yea...only our grade got to vote for our captains...theres like a whole 'portfolio' leadership group..12 leaders all up..
nobody voted for the two biggest suck ups who want it so badly..but i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up getting spots anyways...
Yeah I go to patty boys and yes Richard Reyes got school captain because the principal loves him.

mrpet3rr

HSC
lol in my school
students nominate themself to be come a prefect , (a panel of teachers & year 12 prefects decide who becomes a prefect )
Then if a prefect wants to be come captain
they have to give a speech infront of the whole school which is pointless as
None of the school gets to decide or vote
instead a panel of 3 (principal , year adv and school captain vote)
no student say at all! T_T

speedofsound

HSC
mrpet3rr said:
lol in my school
students nominate themself to be come a prefect , (a panel of teachers & year 12 prefects decide who becomes a prefect )
I would prefer that, to be honest lol.

jessiekg14

HSC
at our school, everyone who wants to be captain/vice/prefect has to go through an interview panel (to sift out the ones who arent serious about it) and then give a speech to the whole school. then, for yrs 7-10, if they WANT to vote, they have to go to the office and vote and theyre vote is worth one. yr 11 HAS to vote and theres are worth two. teachers dont have to vote but if they do, it's worth 2.

it's worked pretty well in the past (partly coz i got captain haha...=P) and it means that no one can complain about the result coz it was very democratical.

i think you've just gotta tell your grade to stop complaining because your school voted in the fairest way so you've just got to deal with the result.... that is all.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
kaz1 said:
Yeah I go to patty boys and yes Richard Reyes got school captain because the principal loves him.
lol so very true, it shouldve been sidney...

McSpitfire

Wendell Sailor
The grandstands at OKI Jubilee.. (Actually, Cronul
HSC
mrpet3rr said:
lol in my school
Our school does that the other way around - Students nominate themselves for prefect then have to do a 1 minute speech in front of teachers, Year 10, and Year 11 students who then vote for (I think) 10 prefects, if you wanna go for School Captain you have to be interviewed by a panel of teachers and two school captains (Vice, or just School captain)

5233andy

HSC
Far too many drop-kicks nominated as prefect at my school. Oh well... not my problem, they'll just demean the essence of the school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)