Can my sister do HSC at the age of 9? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
She's got JLPT-N2 and Kanken 6, and HSK 6. She just sat IELTS and got 7.5. She's already done most of the American maths curriculum, algebra and calculus I and II.

We feel she's ready for HSC and we thinking about skipping the rest of primary school and high school and go straight to year 11.

She can basically demolish Japanese 3U, Chinese 3U and Math 3U. We going to add math ext 2, economics 2U as it would lay a foundation for her B.Acst and B.fin and CFA/FIAA charter later on and of course compulsory English for a total of 14U.

Do you think a private high school will let her do sit for a HSC at this age? If not is there other ways to sit for the HSC?

Last edited:

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
In my opinion, this sounds like a really bad idea. She's 9 - give her a childhood!

financialwar

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the input, we discussed this with her, and that's why she wants. And she's full capable of it, and she has our family financial and emotional support.

Makematics

HSC
pretty sure some public schools would let her do that though :/ i think some guy at my school (public) just got moved two years ahead, but i guess your sister is half the age of your normal hsc student.

db94

HSC
This has to be a troll! WTF, let the kid have a childhood and decide what she wants to do in life on her own.
Don't wanna sound racist but I can only guess that you are Asian, it seems that some are very pushy for early education and deciding what their kids wanna do for them
If you're that worried teach at home and send her to primary school together. The kid has to have a social life

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure OP already said it was in the girl's best interested to do the HSC. Whatever happens, let her flourish without pressure. :)

Emily Howard

HSC
your sista gonna make yo family rich n so prestigious

enoilgam

HSC
I assume this is a troll thread, but I'll add my two cents anyway. I'd say it is a bad idea - she needs to develop socially. As much as school is about academics, it is also very much a social endeavour and for good reason. In the real world, you need good social skills and people skills just as much as you need academic ability. A person at age 9, irrespective of intellect, would have nowhere near the social intelligence or the maturity for uni and the real world.

Obviously, she is very talented, but you would need to ensure that there is a good enough balance between her social intelligence and academic intelligence before going any further. A failure to do so can lead to disaster, which often happens with child prodigies who arent developed properly (Ted Kaczynski, Todd Marinovich and Sufiah Yusof are all good examples of this).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I haven't really got so much of a problem with this post, other than the fact that you've mentioned 'B.Acst and B.fin and CFA/FIAA charter later on'. I find it highly difficult to believe that's what a nine year old truly wants, nevermind whether she'll want it still in thirty years. I think it's great that your sister is so precocious, and excelling her to the level she's capable of is a good idea (though I must admit, she would be highly likely to suffer socially, since she wouldn't have an environment in which she was surrounded by her peers) but I think it would be better to start her in year ten or something, and give her at least until she's twelve before she sits the HSC. At least then she might have a better idea of what she wants to do with her life rather than just being pushed into a role that has either been determined for her or that she has chosen at an age when she wasn't really ready to choose. I think if she could really 'destroy' those subjects any school would be glad to have her, so yes I suppose she could theoretically sit the HSC at her age.

financialwar

HSC
N/A
I think you guys are thinking we are pushing her, this is not the case. She was born in Australia, after me and mum emigrated to Australia, there is a significant age difference between my sister and I. She had the opportunity to lived in Japan for 4 years and China for 2 years as we have relatives there, so it's only natural that she's knows the two languages, our father is in finance with a masters in mathematics, basically he drilled her (and me) in Math, economics, finance and trading in stocks as other Asian family would in piano etc.

So we are not different from a typical Asian family and we not pushing her at all.

zhiying

HSC
^That's not "not pushing her", that's just pushing her from day 1 and now she's just used to it

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It takes a lot more than brains to do all that stuff.
troll thread demands troll answer

in all seriousness, an individual who goes through high school secluded from the rest of the crowd, places complete emphasis on study and grades is not going to be too much better off, despite the extra years in high school because it was recurring whether for 6 years or 100 years

BigBadBader

HSC
Idk if troll but 7/10 for keeping me here to reply.

but no, there are several checkpoints that she needs to pass, not all academic. she needs to have completed primary school. but for HS its more flexiable so maybe, just maybe she can skip from yr 8 to 11. not from yr 2 to 12

financialwar

HSC
N/A
there are several checkpoints that she needs to pass, not all academic. she needs to have completed primary school. but for HS its more flexiable so maybe, just maybe she can skip from yr 8 to 11. not from yr 2 to 12
There is no primary school certificate. But there is school certificate at year 10.

That's we applying to private schools, first for her safety has of her young age, my parents want to her to go those k-12 type of private school for girls.

Our choices so far are

http://www.loreto.nsw.edu.au/
http://www.krb.nsw.edu.au/1501/our-school/

Any other recommendation would be great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)