biology vs physics vs chemistry (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
I don't do bio but Physics > Chemistry, I think this is mainly to do with the content and my teachers though... Having said that, I hated year 11 physics and the only reason I didn't drop it is because it ws a prerequisite for just about every uni course i wanted to do...

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
High school biology is pathetic. Don't get me wrong, Biology is a beautiful science, but the way they teach it in the prelim course is a joke. Apparently it gets "better" in year 12 but I'm taking no chances.

EDIT: I realised that this post was unjustified, so I'll try. The syllabus is almost completely content based. There is no intellectual input required, whatsoever. In an exam, you either know the answer, or you don't. In a purer science like chemistry or even purer, physics, if you sit there thinking for about 5 seconds you can come up with the answer. So if your marks depend on your intellect, avoid biology like the plague.
I find all HSC sciences are similar to what you' re describing. There is still very little independant thought required as many questions that are asked are directly from syllabus dot points and in the end it is a matter of memorizing responses then truly understanding concept. Mind you, you do have to have a good understanding of key concepts but the marks come from the way you write and how you have memorized irrelevant information e.g. in physics you have to memorize the Edison vs. Westinghouse war of currents, the dreaded "impacts on society" questions. *shudder*

blueduck

i dunno but i know exacty how fast im going
HSC
physics!! yes there is some tricky maths but everything can be derived from a few fundamental principles unlike chem in which everything has some exception or infuriating comlexity...and bio is not a science it is more like a history as it is mainly memorising facts with some simplistic interpretaion

EmeraldTempest

That Green Kid
HSC
Chem. I don't do bio so I can't speak for it, but out of EES, Chem and Physics, Chemistry is definitely my favourite. Very enjoyable, although i'm not a fan of pracs!

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
I love chem. Bio was dead boring [or maybe that was just the teacher] and I never did physics. I agree with what everyone says, it's hard for there to be a best science, but my favorite is definitely chem :]

boxhunter91

HSC
I do all 3.
Chem>physics>bio. FML Bio is the hardest for me :( Chem and physics = BEST!

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
People saying physics is too 'maths-y' should be slapped, they've clearly never looked at a uni physics textbook or Wikipedia page.

Mehae

HSC
well according to the prelim content i like chemistry and physics equally. hehe
i love the theory in chem while in physics i enjoy the practical side. sadly i dont do bio

ashllis92

HSC
People saying physics is too 'maths-y' should be slapped, they've clearly never looked at a uni physics textbook or Wikipedia page.
Trust me, I can't wait until I get into the super mathsy type physics next year!

well according to the prelim content i like chemistry and physics equally. hehe
i love the theory in chem while in physics i enjoy the practical side. sadly i dont do bio
I am completely opposite to you! I love them both equally but way prefer chem prac and physics theory...

sam5

HSC
year 12 bio is good - relevent for my uni stuff next year.

chem is good too, pretty interesting.

i Dont do physics, but its just mind boggling shit when it comes to those leptons and photons and quark thingys. Too much maths.

For pple who do chem and physics: Which of the 2 do u find harder?

Last edited:

boxhunter91

HSC
Chem and Physics are equal. IMO. I actually was failing em both last year. Now its piss easy for me :)
Oh btw those leptons and stuff are all from quanta to quarks so most ppl who are doing Physics prob want come across it. And besides its easy!

sam5

HSC
Chem and Physics are equal. IMO. I actually was failing em both last year. Now its piss easy for me :)
Oh btw those leptons and stuff are all from quanta to quarks so most ppl who are doing Physics prob want come across it. And besides its easy!
it sounds very interesting...but i read something about it and its lost me within a minute or so.

It just seems too incomprehensable, like something off another planet.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I only did Chemistry. but I've read notes off the BOS
and I think Physics is the most interesting. but id probably do better in Bio since everyone says its about memorising

suling

HSC
Without a doubt, Bio is best. I did chem and bio this year for prelim...HATED chem, even though, somehow, i got better marks in it than bio..

dropping chem, thank god

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)