Best economics dictionary? (1 Viewer)

elephont

HSC
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone had reccommendations for an economics dictionary? I remember someone saying it may be useful so could anyone give any advice? :read:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

SuperAltastic

HSC
Hey for your HSC I would recommend in addition to the dictionary some tips that helped me a great deal.

- This is a proof and data subject the more meaningful stats you can use the better someone had inspired me to make this template I genuinely cannot remember which set of notes it was from but you can use it to help you write better answers.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HKBkWtyOYPAMIFPC2l6mnnSoOc-xi4DP/view

- Start practicing from day 1, which I did luckily. This subject is not like others where just knowing up to date content is enough you need to start doing practice questions and MC weekly. When you do these questions give them to your teacher to mark that is imperative. For MC which ever one you get wrong I use to use a 40 page book, write the whole question down with the options and select the correct one in the book and give a line or 2 of reasoning for it, this is useful just before an exam so you can refresh what mistakes you commonly make and make sure it doesn't happen when you most need the marks.

- Writing essays is not just about pumping out pages of good content, it requires you to show strong chains of analysis. By which I mean don't just say A lead to E, you need to be saying A leads to B which than impacts C and D that translate onto having strong effects on E.

- Practice essays once you have covered the first topic completely not before than cos its just a waste, its the MCQ an short answer you need to nail early on and that is key for the HSC cos if you pull off 20/20 for MC and 40/40 for the short answer you only need 15 in each essay for a B6.

- Keep upto date with trends and economic news.

Thats just some that I believe are key.

Good Luck. :)

elephont

HSC
Hey for your HSC I would recommend in addition to the dictionary some tips that helped me a great deal.

- This is a proof and data subject the more meaningful stats you can use the better someone had inspired me to make this template I genuinely cannot remember which set of notes it was from but you can use it to help you write better answers.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HKBkWtyOYPAMIFPC2l6mnnSoOc-xi4DP/view

- Start practicing from day 1, which I did luckily. This subject is not like others where just knowing up to date content is enough you need to start doing practice questions and MC weekly. When you do these questions give them to your teacher to mark that is imperative. For MC which ever one you get wrong I use to use a 40 page book, write the whole question down with the options and select the correct one in the book and give a line or 2 of reasoning for it, this is useful just before an exam so you can refresh what mistakes you commonly make and make sure it doesn't happen when you most need the marks.

- Writing essays is not just about pumping out pages of good content, it requires you to show strong chains of analysis. By which I mean don't just say A lead to E, you need to be saying A leads to B which than impacts C and D that translate onto having strong effects on E.

- Practice essays once you have covered the first topic completely not before than cos its just a waste, its the MCQ an short answer you need to nail early on and that is key for the HSC cos if you pull off 20/20 for MC and 40/40 for the short answer you only need 15 in each essay for a B6.

- Keep upto date with trends and economic news.

Thats just some that I believe are key.

Good Luck. :)
Thank you so much for your advice! I'm starting Year 12 in a few days and I've been getting increasingly nervous ahaha. However I've been quite motivated for economics and I appreciate your words :)

Best wishes for uni you're almost there :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't even realise there was an economics dictionary... maybe the HSC has changed alot since I did it (hah i'm old), but I thought anything which was important enough to be defined would be in the textbook anyway, and the risk you run with internet definitions is they may differ from what your teachers/syllabus is expecting.

eg. Risk - some people define it as including all variability in the outcome (both favourable and unfavourable) whilst others only define it as unfavourable outcomes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)