Bad rank but good(ish) mark? (1 Viewer)

fayeee

HSC
Like, what's more important?

What if you have an okay mark, but a bad rank?

Are you aiming for the marks, or for the rank--?

Yeah, they usually go hand-in-hand, and if you have a good mark, you [usually] have a good rank, but that's not always the case..

Haha, completely unsure if this thread even makes sense, but I was just wondering :S

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:

Yeah, they usually go hand-in-hand, and if you have a good mark, you [usually] have a good rank, but that's not always the case..

Haha, completely unsure if this thread even makes sense, but I was just wondering :S
To put it simply: rank > mark.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
even a mark in the 90s?
Well, yeah. (if you rank is still bad)

That's because every school tests students on different exams, you know.

One exam in one school may be too easy so that everyone could get 90+. On the other hand, one exam in other school may be too hard that only one person got 80+. Then, how do we test these two different schools when they test differently? That's where the HSC comes into play. We use HSC to align students. That's why your school marks are moderated to HSC marks.

bored of sc

HSC
Unfortunately it is a dog-eat-dog world and ranks are more important to get a desired UAI for that 'dream course' (this is on the assumption you plan to go to University).

But what I have found is to aim for a certain mark and even if my rank is average I still feel content/happy with myself.

Not sure if you'll be the same.

fayeee

HSC
DAAMN i cant seem to wrap my head around it.

so...

even if i'm getting good marks..

if my rank is not good, then that's not good---?

why??

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Because marks in your school's assessments might be easier to achieve than marks in James Ruse's school assessments?

As namu said. Ranks > marks. :)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
fayeee said:
DAAMN i cant seem to wrap my head around it.

so...

even if i'm getting good marks..

if my rank is not good, then that's not good---?

why??
What live.fast said.

You sit your 4u maths exam and get 90%, with a poor rank (meaning the test was easy).

Ruse kid sits his/er exam and gets 70%, comming first (meaning the test was difficult).

Do you really think you'll keep your 90 and the Ruse kid will keep his/er 70? :)

fayeee

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Overall rank is what matters the most
From what you posted (assuming that you got over 90 and the highest mark is 100) your arn't that far off from your peers. If you pwn other assessments especially if they weigh more and there is a bigger gap between marks, you may be able to get a good overall rank. Good luck :)
everyone in my grade seems to be top 5, top 10 in their rankings, and all mine are 20s-40s. (Chemistry's in the 60s :p), but my marks are pretty good for a mediocre rank so i'm just like :S:S

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
fayeee said:
everyone in my grade seems to be top 5, top 10 in their rankings, and all mine are 20s-40s. (Chemistry's in the 60s :p), but my marks are pretty good for a mediocre rank so i'm just like :S:S
How can everyone in your grade be in the Top 5-10, shouldn't that be reserved for people who achieve the top 5-10 rankings?

Anyway maybe you're marks seem good because the test was fairly easy?
Because if it was easy, a lot of people would have ripped it, therefore beating you?

Another example of why rank is more important than mark. However remember good marks = good rankings.

ccc123

HSC
fayeee said:

Ranks.

Sorry.

Well if you can't understand the technical reasons for this, just look at it logically. Obviously, you need to consider how your mark stands compatively, and a low rank clearly indicates that in comparison to the rest of the cohort, your mark(s) are bad. One consolation however, is that if the reason your rank is low is because you have a strong cohort (as opposed to easy assessments), the moderation process should work in your favour and you should still do well.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
School - Rank
External Exams - Mark

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
If everyone in your grade gets 100 in the exam and you get 99, you'll be ranked last. In the external HSC exams, if you get 100, and another guy from your school gets 50 and he was lowest ranked in the externals, then your final HSC mark will be 75.

SimonLee13

HSC
Hypothetical situation where you get a 95% in your speech yet everyone gets 100%. You'll come last even though your score is amazing. So Rank > Score like what everyone else said.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Actually I change my vote to marks :)
Why would you do such a thing? Just for the sake of being an anti-conformist?
Please, do explain why you changed your mind.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In my opinion – ranks are so much more important. At Sefton High, students get about 6/15 for English, and come first.

fayeee

HSC
minijumbuk said:
If everyone in your grade gets 100 in the exam and you get 99, you'll be ranked last. In the external HSC exams, if you get 100, and another guy from your school gets 50 and he was lowest ranked in the externals, then your final HSC mark will be 75.

daaaamn. okay

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
In my opinion – ranks are so much more important. At Sefton High, students get about 6/15 for English, and come first.
Abusing other schools - -;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)