Bad rank but good(ish) mark? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
so is it better if you are in a crap ass school with rank 1?
Not necessarily. Coming first in my school would not be as hard as coming first in a school like Selective High School. However, coming first means that you won't be affected by anyone when you get your HSC mark (unless you get beaten in the HSC task).

fayeee

HSC
lyounamu said:
However, coming first means that you won't be affected by anyone when you get your HSC mark (unless you get beaten in the HSC task).

..?

haha okay, so basically ranks > marks

which is a bit gay, because my marks are decent, but my ranks are mediocre.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:
..?

haha okay, so basically ranks > marks

which is a bit gay, because my marks are decent, but my ranks are mediocre.
If your marks are decent. That's not bad at all. That means that you actually did well in the exam (despite being ranked low). If you can keep that up, your ranks will go up. (if you continue to perform well when others don't)

Good luck.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Abusing other schools - -;
Nope. Their English teachers are harsh though. I'm pretty sure that if I went to Sefton, I'd be getting 4s and 5s.

fayeee

HSC
hmm, what if you're rank 1 in a very small class?

i'm ranked 1st in my foodtech class but there's only 5 people lol

and then compare that to my pdhpe class, i'm ranked 8th in a class of 11 - haha yeah kind of fuxcked that up a bit :x

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fayeee said:

and then compare that to my pdhpe class, i'm ranked 8th in a class of 11 - haha yeah kind of fuxcked that up a bit :x
If you are ranked 1st that's great. Keep that up. It's all about rank as I said earlier. :uhhuh:

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
i disagree with namu. it isn't all about ranks.

i think both need to be taken into consideration. as a lot of you have said before ranks are important but i also have to agree with foreverpinkkkk that marks need to be taken into consideration as well. it is important to remember that marks and ranks are linked. it is also important to consider the amount weighing for each assessment, as well as the gap between marks for each assessment.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:

i think both need to be taken into consideration. as a lot of you have said before ranks are important but i also have to agree with foreverpinkkkk that marks need to be taken into consideration as well. it is important to remember that marks and ranks are linked. it is also important to consider the amount weighing for each assessment, as well as the gap between marks for each assessment.
I guess I put too much stress on the importance on the ranks... I also think marks are important as well, just not as important as ranks.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
melanieeeee. said:

Yeah, it isn't, but a large majority of it is...

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
fayeee said:

You're meant to look at ranks primarily, but in conjunction with other factors such as marks, school etc. Looking at your profile, you go to Girraween High School, which is a selective school and a lot of people get high UAIs as a consequence.

Check out the Annual Reports on your school website. They'd say how your school performs on average in their more common subjects. They don't have Foodtech or PDHPE though :(

Either way, from things like that, you can look at your rank and make a rough conclusion on how you're performing based on that. If you're average in say, English Advanced, and the average of your school in English is about 82, then you can estimate that your mark will be close to 82, and place that into SAM (with your other estimates of course) and it'll give you a pretty good approximation.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
fayeee said:
DAAMN i cant seem to wrap my head around it.

so...

even if i'm getting good marks..

if my rank is not good, then that's not good---?

why??
because if you get a crap rank then that mark you got WASNT a good mark..

lionking1191

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
To build on my point:
Hypothetically, if you got 90/100 in this assessment where the majority got 95/100, you ranked 30/40. Then next assessment you got 90/100 where the majority got 65/100, you ranked 10/40. Both weigh equally - 50% each.

If you just looked at your ranks i.e. 30/40 and 10/40 you would think that you are coming average.

However if you looked at the marks your marks your overall mark would be 90/100 while the rest (majority) get 80/100 making your overall rank higher than average.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Anywho I hope that makes sense and motivate you to work hard :)
i see your point, but this has nothing to do with the rank vs mark argument. It's the relative weighting of each assessment you are talking about and how that influences your rank (correct me if i'm wrong) but in each exam and for your cumulative total it's still rank > mark

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lionking1191 said:
because if you get a crap rank then that mark you got WASNT a good mark..
Not necessarily. It may be that the people in her class did well. Would you say that someone in James Ruse got crap marks at school because he came like 70th out of 160 people? (70th in James Ruse = about 99.25 UAI)

There is certainly a strong relationship between marks & ranks. Good marks does not necessarily mean good ranks nor crap ranks and vice versa.

fayeee

HSC
what's the difference between aligned mark & scaled mark ? .. or are they the same .... ? lol

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
fayeee said:
what's the difference between aligned mark & scaled mark ? .. or are they the same .... ? lol
I'm pretty sure the aligned mark is what the Board of Studies does to your mark, like adjusts it according to your ranking or your internal performance. Basically it is what you get on your record of achievement.

Scaled mark is what UAC does to your mark to calculate your UAI - like they scale you based on your course, school performance and averages etc.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
fayeee said:
Aligned mark is when your mark is altered in accordance to the standards of each individual subject. This is the mark that the Bored of Studies gives you back on your HSC certificate. The BOS decides what raw mark (as in, the actual mark you achieve, like you would receive back on your trials) correlates to a particular performance band. You know, band 5, band 6 etc. They do this because each year, the subject can have different difficulties and using raw marks doesn't say how well you actually did, which is why they don't give us our raw marks.

If you get 65/84 in a 3unit maths exam, the BOS will probably think that it shows a very strong understanding of 3unit maths and it will probably get aligned to 45-46/50, which is what appears on your certificate. Consequently, in an easier subject, you might need a raw mark of say, 85/100 in order to get scaled up to a band 6. These marks are not used in UAI calculation, but rather indicate how well you did in the subjects.

Scaled marks are the marks they use to calculate your UAI. They look at how well the candidature in one subject performs in every other subject to see how difficult/easy each subject is.

As a simple example, say everybody who does Physics does Chemistry as well and the average is 65 for Physics and 70 for Chemistry. From this, we'd see that a mark of 65 in Physics and a mark of 70 in Chemistry should be worth the same, since students of the same ability should be able to achieve the same mark in any subject they choose. Then, they come up with a scaled mark for every subject and then add the 2 best scaled units of english and the other 8 best units to form an aggregate mark. This aggregate mark is used in order to rank students in their performance across the state which then gives them a UAI.

However, if you predict your UAI using SAM, you would use your aligned marks, which are then converted to scaled marks by SAM in order to give a prediction.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
the-derivative said:
You need to achieve good marks to get a good ranking.

They relate with each other, and you should be striving to get good marks as well as a good ranking.
There's not always that relationship, it depends on how the assessment tasks were and so forth...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)