ATAR estimate (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
To downplay his ability or not, shouldn't be a problem, considering he is posting his ranks, in which prove it. Secondly I said he won't get over 88 if he maintains the same standards of work. (Obviously that would take into account the belief those above him remain above him in externals). For a guy with those ranks, I don't see him being able to improve so much as to get 90. All I'm trying to say.
Why not? You seem to think that you need some sort of insane ranks to get 90 ATAR. OP's ranks deserve a 90- whether he gets them obviously depends on HSC performance. Play around with an ATAR calc and you'll see that the marks to get 90 ATAR are much lower than to get 98, which is why you can't simply compare between your case and his.

barbernator

HSC
To downplay his ability or not, shouldn't be a problem, considering he is posting his ranks, in which prove it. Secondly I said he won't get over 88 if he maintains the same standards of work. (Obviously that would take into account the belief those above him remain above him in externals). For a guy with those ranks, I don't see him being able to improve so much as to get 90. All I'm trying to say.
ok fair enough.

lvella10

HSC
I reckon 90-93. The rankings are better then they look because the cohort is quite large

First off, raw internal marks are pretty meaningless, but since you claim to have high rankings, I guess it cancels out. Second, I wouldnt give too much weight to your schools estimate, as all estimates are pretty unreliable (especially the ones given by many schools). Everyone here offers an opinion, I dont see how your opinion carries more weight than others, especially considering what you have said in this thread.
I wouldn't give too much weight to my schools estimate either. But considering it's on par with multiple other estimates, I see no reason why I shouldn't acknowledge it.
I never stated my opinion holds more weight. In fact, everyone here in my opinion is stating mine holds less than theirs.

lvella10

HSC
Why not? You seem to think that you need some sort of insane ranks to get 90 ATAR. OP's ranks deserve a 90- whether he gets them obviously depends on HSC performance. Play around with an ATAR calc and you'll see that the marks to get 90 ATAR are much lower than to get 98, which is why you can't simply compare between your case and his.
I don't have access to his percentages to make an accurate estimate on a calculator. I see the validity of your point , however I don't think he could be performing well enough to achieve 90, with those ranks..

Kieran95

HSC
Actual facts such as my school predicting my atar at 98.1? Actual facts like my high 90's average for my subjects ? Actual facts such as my aforementioned ranks?
My school estimated me to be 93.25...

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Seeing as this debate is still raging on...

I wouldn't give too much weight to my schools estimate either. But considering it's on par with multiple other estimates, I see no reason why I shouldn't acknowledge it.
I never stated my opinion holds more weight. In fact, everyone here in my opinion is stating mine holds less than theirs.
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

And yes, i (not speaking for other people) state that your opinion "holds less". But that comes from your limited understanding of:
1.) The system
2.) The OP's school
3.) The atar estimate system

lvella10

HSC
Seeing as this debate is still raging on...

Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

And yes, i (not speaking for other people) state that your opinion "holds less". But that comes from your limited understanding of:
1.) The system
2.) The OP's school
3.) The atar estimate system
Anyone not doing particular well shouldn't be given a high estimate. I could ask a child that, and their opinion would be the same.

barbernator

HSC
Anyone not doing particular well shouldn't be given a high estimate. I could ask a child that, and their opinion would be the same.
to demonstrate your diverse knowledge, can you please tell me how many people score > 90 atar

lvella10

HSC
I'm aware a pretty large number of kids get over 90 .. Yet he's got average ranks, at an average school .. In my opinion an equal number of kids who obtain over 90 state wide, would be ahead of him.. Thus leaving him with an atar below 90

enoilgam

HSC
I went to a rank 300 school and my english rank was top 15% (OP's is top 25%) and I managed to get mid-80's for english (my internal mark pulled me up).

lvella10

HSC
I went to a rank 300 school and my english rank was top 15% (OP's is top 25%) and I managed to get mid-80's for english (my internal mark pulled me up).
And?

I can't see how he'll get over 90 in all honesty. If he does, he has my congratulations. Until then, my opinion remains.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I reckon most of this debate is useless until the op specifies more information about:

1. How their cohort ranks compared with last years.
2. Whether last year was an outlier or the average.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)