Asylum seeker debacle (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Manus Island detention centre looks like it will take a lot longer than a month to get it fully operational. Various media outlets report that a school has taken over part of the centre and that have locals have taken demountable buildings away for their own use.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
According to the Minister Jason Clare, all boat arrivals after the 13th of August would be sent to Naru. Since the 13th of August that has been 466 (in 8 boats) as of Thursday evening (stats do not include any that may have arrived yesterday; http://bit.ly/StOXsm). Naru (once it is restored) is expected to hold at maximum 1500 people. 466/1500 = 31% full after only 4 days of the policy being in place...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Cool facts bro. But this is supposed to be a debate and I don't see you proposing an alternative.

Unikwa

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Sink em all. There are legal ways to come to Australia.

Our forebears fought hard to keep our shores from being invaded - and now we welcome everyone and anyone regardless of how they choose to arrive.

If they have the 10's of thousands of dollars to pay for a boat trip, then they can damn well come through the front doors...

(me steps from her soapbox and departs stage left :wavey:)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Cool facts bro. But this is supposed to be a debate and I don't see you proposing an alternative.
Turn the boats back towards Indonesia. Those who don't turn back and breach Australian waters shall be boarded by the Navy, all on board arrested and then delivered back to the nearest Indonesian port.

Lentern

HSC
Turn the boats back towards Indonesia. Those who don't turn back and breach Australian waters shall be boarded by the Navy, all on board arrested and then delivered back to the nearest Indonesian port.
The department of immigration has repeatedly said that wont work.

Lentern

HSC
Bring them to Australia and process them in a compassionate, humane way.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I'm sure the Indonesians would love Australian navy boats arriving at their ports delivery people. How would you feel if the indonesian nacy rounded up all the people there and delivered them to the nearest Australian port.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It is the Indonesians problem; they need to take responsibility for it and stop the boats departing from their country.

Any boat person (regardless of whether they are a member of crew of a passenger) that has to be intercepted in Australian waters Australia should be charged with maritime offenses (obviously laws would need to be toughened; say 5 year minimum sentence if it is shown they are on a boat intentionally heading for Australia) and be forced to serve 5 years in jail before then being deported back to their country of origin. The boats would quickly stop.

Lentern

HSC
It is the Indonesians problem; they need to take responsibility for it and stop the boats departing from their country.

Any boat person (regardless of whether they are a member of crew of a passenger) that has to be intercepted in Australian waters Australia should be charged with maritime offenses (obviously laws would need to be toughened; say 5 year minimum sentence if it is shown they are on a boat intentionally heading for Australia) and be forced to serve 5 years in jail before then being deported back to their country of origin. The boats would quickly stop.
5 year gaol term isn't much of a deterrent if I'm looking at 25 years of malnutrition, corruption and dangerously poor hygiene in a squalid refugee camp in Indonesia.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
5 year gaol term isn't much of a deterrent if I'm looking at 25 years of malnutrition, corruption and dangerously poor hygiene in a squalid refugee camp in Indonesia.
5 years then deportation.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
God you are a heartless cunt solooooo. How you can possibly think that a infinitesimal fraction of Australia's population arriving hear by boat is worth such harsh an unnecessary treatment is beyond me. Honestly, what is the absolute worst that could happen? Come on, defend yourself man, you are yet to articulate what is so awful about this "problem" apart from some fascist comments suggestion we'll be overrun by Muslims

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, you say they are Indonesia's problem, why is that? Oh because that's the last place they arrived in? Funilliy enough solo they probably arrived just as "illegally" in inopdonesia if they would have arrived here. So if the last place to get them bears the burden, surely that means Australia bears the burden when they arrive hear. And before you spout some BS that Indonesia can't defend it's borders so is their problem, well I think you'll find we can't defend ours given they arrive here.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't care they are Muslim. If it was boats from China or North Korea or Argentina my opinion that the boats would need to be stopped would not change.

The costs to Australia make it a problem.

enak101

HSC
Lol can't believe people on this forum want to send the asylum seekers back.

They are seeking asylum for a reason, we as Australians should welcome them to this superior country. Why would we turn them back?

Besides, look how massive our country is and then look at the population. This country could hold hundreds of million people really, though who wants to live right in the middle, as it is, It can still hold much more.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't care they are Muslim. If it was boats from China or North Korea or Argentina my opinion that the boats would need to be stopped would not change.

The costs to Australia make it a problem.
What costs? That's very vague. Your so bloody well informed, enlighten us all. (and before you mention the costs of immigration detention the is very easily removed by not detaining asylum seekers, the costs are self imposed by people like you who demand detention, not the asylum seekers themselves)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I was going to say the same thing.

Do you really think increasing the maximum penalty is going to deter somebody who's fleeing 'sub-par' (for lack of a better word) living conditions? Goal is probably a holiday in comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)