Asylum seeker debacle (1 Viewer)

jackerino

HSC
Thank you although my views are no different or special compared to similar views held by a large (and rapidly increasing) number of Australians. :)
Lol I like the way you said that, "rapidly increasing" haha. Indeed. :D 'tis great to know aussies are finally becoming aware.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This isn't a chat thread, or a circle jerk, stay on topic

Lentern

HSC
They ARENT. They came here from papua new guinea across a land bridge m8. AUstralia has never belonged to anyone.
This is mostly true and of course very few traditional aboriginal communities would accept the premise of land ownership, they do however have a fairly well entrenched right to identify as part of this imagined community that we call Australia.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Army to build tent city for refugees

In a clear message to people smugglers that Australia's borders are closed, the army is to begin setting up camps at Nauru and Manus Island by the end of the week.

Preparing the facilities for up to 2100 asylum seekers will cost $530 million. Running the centres, where asylum seekers could stay for up to five years, will cost almost $1.8 billion.

Ms Gillard confirmed the sites would initially have tents.

Facilities at Manus Island, adjacent to a military base, are run down while at Nauru items have been taken by locals for their own homes.

Airconditioners and in some cases entire huts have been taken and one of the camps has become a school.
It just keeps getting worse and worse for the Gillard government... what happens once the 2100 sleeping spaces in tents are full... just go to Bunnings buy 500 more tents and send them over to Naru on a Hercules aeroplane?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ity-for-refugees/story-e6freuy9-1226450446777

Lentern

HSC

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I'm saying even Gillard knows her new policy is still too weak.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I was talking about the cost and numbers of more illegal immigrants the government expects will soon breach Australian borders.

Lentern

HSC
I was talking about the cost and numbers of more illegal immigrants the government expects will soon breach Australian borders.
Seeking asylum is not illegal migration you know that.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No, although off you are not a real refugee it is.

billy chan

HSC
Interesting that there was close to a consensus of support for off-shore processing on Q+A last night, particularly from ol' mate Big Society and Singer.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Interesting that there was close to a consensus of support for off-shore processing on Q+A last night, particularly from ol' mate Big Society and Singer.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Australia is lurching towards the right (as are a lot of other nations now).

Lentern

HSC
A few people have said this to me actually and I didn't get that impression from Singer. My impression was that he ducked the question of offshore processing and said that he supported the policy because it meant increasing our refugee intake more than any other proposition. I think he also said something like as a utilitarian he didn't see someone who arrived here by boat as being inherently more entitled to asylum as someone waiting in a camp which is all good and well but it isn't the same as suggesting they should essentially be gaoled for doing it.

billy chan

HSC
A few people have said this to me actually and I didn't get that impression from Singer. My impression was that he ducked the question of offshore processing and said that he supported the policy because it meant increasing our refugee intake more than any other proposition. I think he also said something like as a utilitarian he didn't see someone who arrived here by boat as being inherently more entitled to asylum as someone waiting in a camp which is all good and well but it isn't the same as suggesting they should essentially be gaoled for doing it.
Yeah you is right, I didn't word that properly. A vague consensus in support of the Report's recommendations, but not a declaration of explicit support for offshore from Singer.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yes I believe they do. And noone has answered my question re: ZERO technology for aboriginals over 40,000 years!
No one is engaging with you because you're a moron. Your questions are idiotic and if you really cared about them you'd search for your own answers, the only reason you haven't being that they might upset your stupid and infantile ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)